Reach ending scene/credits/etc. discussion *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, MC in the Autumn's hangar cutscene is well-known now, but then I saw this on HBO today:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have to say at the risk of sounding ignorant i know the game disregarded the books almost completely, I knew it was going to from the start, but at the end of the day Halo is Bungie's baby, it's their world they've created, with their characters and their story. Like any movie or book some things get lost in translation and some things have to be adapted but like it or not this is the direction they wanted to take it for this game, so putting continuity issues aside and just going for the ride i absolutely loved this game. Bungie, you can be my wingman anytime.

Couldn't agree more. :)

It was in Ghosts of Onyx that Halsey and a few Spartans got trapped in the shield world. But there's a sequel book coming out that explains what happens to them in there (and I would assume whether or not they ever get out). But if it's Cortana, when did she and Chief get found? Last we saw them they were floating in space somewhere between the remains of the Ark and Earth.

Like I mentioned, it's my opinion it's Cortana by listening to the voices. The voice doesn't sound as much like Halsey. But I could be wrong. My reasoning to believe that it's Cortana is as follows:
Like I mentioned before, after the events of Reach (looking to just the games and not the books) Halsey is never mentioned after Reach. Why would she give a synopsis of the covenant/human war and what occurs after Reach when no one know's where/who she is?
Cortana is somewhere in space with the chief at the end of Halo 3, we all know this, but that's not to say that the event's taken place after Reach weren't cataloged by Cortana between Halo 2 and 3. Remember, by Halo 3, part of the Covenant have joined forces with the humans to fight the Higher Archs and the "Great Journey." By the middle of Halo 3, Cortana is back with Chief on Earth for a short while. With the narrative describing the events of what happens between the human and covenant at the end of Reach, I believe it's Cortana.

Of course this whole discussion is over analyzing the entire ending of the game. It's always interesting to see/read other peoples perspectives on how they viewed the ending.

As far as the novels go...Yes, ultimately it's Bungie's baby and they can do whatever they want. However, that being said, The Fall of Reach was labeled as "The official prequel to the award-winning Xbox game!" In the acknowledgments Eric Nyland thanks Eric Trautmann for "providing background material, editing, reality checks." For those who don't know, Trautmann was one of the three originating writers for the Halo story. So, even though it's Bungie's baby, I can see how some fans may be a little dissapointed with the story and what their idea of the in-game story could have been. Myself, I loved it and I can see why Bungie changed it up a bit and I wasn't dissapointed.

I liked the end well enough. Noble 6 could've killed the elites around him, but he did take shots in the ending scene and was wounded. Its iffy i suppose, but we are supposed to take it as a KIA. The ending was still better than 2 and 3. 2 made me madder than inception:/.

Jun lived as he is one of the Spartans on CE and hell we may see him team up with chief in later installments.

I was a little disappointed that Noble 6 probably died, but since we hear Halsey talk the end, we can assume Jun is still alive, and that could have saved our hero.

I liked the end well enough. Noble 6 could've killed the elites around him, but he did take shots in the ending scene and was wounded. Its iffy i suppose, but we are supposed to take it as a KIA. The ending was still better than 2 and 3. 2 made me madder than inception:/.

Jun lived as he is one of the Spartans on CE and hell we may see him team up with chief in later installments.

I was a little disappointed that Noble 6 probably died, but since we hear Halsey talk the end, we can assume Jun is still alive, and that could have saved our hero.

It could of been cortana talking at the end, they both have the same voice sense Cortana was made in Halsey's image.

naah its doctor halsey alrighht.

i just finished the game (for the second time) for anyone who indeed completed the game and didnt watch a movie of the ending.
i just love when he walks off the ladder and u see the airship taking off. its just the freakin awesome ending i was hoping for~!!!!!!!

im really glad i bought it :3

And, if I'm correct (which I may not be) the voice you hear at the ending describing the events surrounding Noble 6's death was in fact Cortana, not Dr. Halsey.
Remember, that last scene is in 2589, 26 years after Master Chief and Cortana got stuck in space.
I dunno if it could be Cortana, considering she was nearing rampancy towards the end of Halo 3. If this cutscene is 26 years after Halo 3, would she have gone "insane" by this point?

There is the one unexplored point: the effect of so much contact with Forerunner tech. No other human AI came close to having so much experience with Forerunner stuff.

Sure, Foreruner AIs went rampant too (not always), but they lasted a whole lot longer than 7 years. And remember Mendicant Bias? He went rampant, got split up into little pieces, and one piece actually realised it's own rampancy and came back and tried to redeem himself by helping Chief in Halo 3.

It's possible Cortana's connection to all that Forerunner tech and programming gave her some sort of knowledge or subroutine or something that gives her an advantage over the other human-made smart AIs.

I've only watched the cutscene once so far, but from what I remember, it sounded like Dr. Halsey to me. Voice-acting wise, she sounded 'connected' to Noble team and I don't see why Cortana would have that reverence in her voice. I may be missing something as I don't know a whole lot about Halo lore, but just based on the game, that's what came to mind.

There is the one unexplored point: the effect of so much contact with Forerunner tech. No other human AI came close to having so much experience with Forerunner stuff.

Sure, Foreruner AIs went rampant too (not always), but they lasted a whole lot longer than 7 years. And remember Mendicant Bias? He went rampant, got split up into little pieces, and one piece actually realised it's own rampancy and came back and tried to redeem himself by helping Chief in Halo 3.

It's possible Cortana's connection to all that Forerunner tech and programming gave her some sort of knowledge or subroutine or something that gives her an advantage over the other human-made smart AIs.

If you got the journal with your game there is some mention from Dr Halsey about Cortana possibley overiding her programming.

I've got the journal, but haven't read it yet. I have read that quote before, about her overiding her programming. But in that case, I though Halsey was talking about a kill switch that she added, probably because she was worried Cortana would go rampant early. Do all smart AIs have kill switches? I thought that when they started going rampant, a human operator just manually shut them down.

I think the main problem here is we have a new question that is unanswered: we've always assumed Cortana was a smart AI that was created the same way as all other AIs (she was just simply based on an extraordinary mind, giving her a little boost). Towards the end of the game Bungie hints that Cortanan might not be a typical AI, and that she was created (at least partially) using Forerunner technology. So is Cortanan a human-made AI that just has a lot of experience with Forerunner data, or is she a hybrid creation of human and Forerunner technology?

So is Cortanan a human-made AI that just has a lot of experience with Forerunner data, or is she a hybrid creation of human and Forerunner technology?
I think the former.
Didn't she analyze a butt-load of Forerunner tech from the artifact found in the First Strike novel?

I've only watched the cutscene once so far, but from what I remember, it sounded like Dr. Halsey to me. Voice-acting wise, she sounded 'connected' to Noble team and I don't see why Cortana would have that reverence in her voice. I may be missing something as I don't know a whole lot about Halo lore, but just based on the game, that's what came to mind.

Nope, as far as i know, and if any one can help us understand, please do so, Cortana was created by Dr. Halsey and was created in the form of herself, which includes her voice, maybe a younger version of her self, but i read it in Ghost of Onyx i think, plus, look at a pic of Cortana and look at Halsey, almost identical see:

HalseyHaloReach.png

cortana-intro.jpg

Dr. Halsey Created 4 diffrent Super-AI's, keeping #2-4 in storage while activating #1. Super-AI #1 is Cortana, and she took herself after the likeness of Dr. Halsey in her college years, including voice.

cortana is already going rampant have you guys seen origins II?

Dude, i don't even acknowledge Legends as part of the halo universe, fun to watch but they screwed it up. The hunters were 20 feet tall, thay make Dr. Halsey look to young and to hot on the Package and make it look like Chief and her have something going on, when Halsey would be about 40 maybe 50, Plus Chief is in his thirtys, and the number one screw up about origins was saying that the Forerunners left all there tech to all of us. If thats the case why does the Covienant need us to open a dang door, let alone activate halo them selves. According to the game, WE, humanity, are the desendents of the forerunners, they left there tech to us, and thats why 343 Guilty Spartk (Monitor) acknowledges Chief, Sgt, Johnson, and Miranda Keyes, as Forerunner. As far as Cortana going rampant, she has lived longer then the typical AI, the main reason why she would be corupted though, would be when she was held captive by Gravemind.

. As far as Cortana going rampant, she has lived longer then the typical AI, the main reason why she would be corupted though, would be when she was held captive by Gravemind.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was stated a typical AI lives a certain number of years/months and by the time Halo 3 ends would fit towards the end of the life cycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back