Reach ending scene/credits/etc. discussion *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only watched the cutscene once so far, but from what I remember, it sounded like Dr. Halsey to me. Voice-acting wise, she sounded 'connected' to Noble team and I don't see why Cortana would have that reverence in her voice. I may be missing something as I don't know a whole lot about Halo lore, but just based on the game, that's what came to mind.

If you read Halsey's journal she doesn't know any of the Spartan III's. In fact Halsey mentions that they look younger than Jorge. Although she may have built a connection with them by the end of the game seeing as how they saved her butt.

I thought it was stated a typical AI lives a certain number of years/months and by the time Halo 3 ends would fit towards the end of the life cycle?

Exactly, if i remember correctly, again from onyx, a typical AI lives about 3 to 4 years. By then i think they begin a automatic shut down, like Endless Winter (Another AI) did after his final conversation with Kurt. Cortana has the ability to and did, override that programing, allowing her to live longer.

I've got the journal, but haven't read it yet. I have read that quote before, about her overiding her programming. But in that case, I though Halsey was talking about a kill switch that she added, probably because she was worried Cortana would go rampant early. Do all smart AIs have kill switches? I thought that when they started going rampant, a human operator just manually shut them down.

I think the main problem here is we have a new question that is unanswered: we've always assumed Cortana was a smart AI that was created the same way as all other AIs (she was just simply based on an extraordinary mind, giving her a little boost). Towards the end of the game Bungie hints that Cortanan might not be a typical AI, and that she was created (at least partially) using Forerunner technology. So is Cortanan a human-made AI that just has a lot of experience with Forerunner data, or is she a hybrid creation of human and Forerunner technology?

Good questions...
If I remember correctly, Cortana is a smart AI and the first words she spoke were that of one of Halsey's former teachers, the queen and the pawn go in the same box (or something like that). One thing that comes to mind is that although Cortana should have a short life, using your point about Forerunner tech, and the fact that the Gravemind may have done something to her (whether it booster her life or shortened it) she may have an extended life span. One other quick note would be that at the end of Halo 3 Cortana tells the chief that "It's been an honor serving with you." Could this quote mean that Cortana knows that she has a limited amount of life left? Of course Chief's response is wake me when you need me. Who knows...

I think it's awesome that Keys and Halsey got "busy" while searching the galaxy for Spartans. I mean, really, what else was there to do?

If you read Halsey's journal she doesn't know any of the Spartan III's. In fact Halsey mentions that they look younger than Jorge. Although she may have built a connection with them by the end of the game seeing as how they saved her butt.

Thats because they are. Spartan III's where created when the UNSC started running low on spartan II's, III's are just cheaper to make, plus i don't think Halsey was in charge of the Spartan III project. Halsey was in charge of the Spartan II project and was acctualy kinda like a surrogate mother, i guess, The II's typicaly refer to her as "mom" fo this reason i guess. Since she had a connection with the II's she didn't really care about the III's and is why she was more intrested in Jorge, because he was, in a way, her son like so many others. Jorge, incase you don't know, is a II just like Chief. And about that whole, them looking younger thing, Spartans typically see action when they are 12 years old. Jun was put into action earlier then most, for this reason, he has a screw or two loose, and has had a number of phsyc evaluations, and may suffer from post tramatic stress disorder. Jun is a III same for the rest of noble.

Thats because they are. Spartan III's where created when the UNSC started running low on spartan II's, III's are just cheaper to make, plus i don't think Halsey was in charge of the Spartan III project. Halsey was in charge of the Spartan II project and was acctualy kinda like a surrogate mother, i guess, The II's typicaly refer to her as "mom" fo this reason i guess. Since she had a connection with the II's she didn't really care about the III's and is why she was more intrested in Jorge, because he was, in a way, her son like so many others. Jorge, incase you don't know, is a II just like Chief. And about that whole, them looking younger thing, Spartans typically see action when they are 12 years old. Jun was put into action earlier then most, for this reason, he has a screw or two loose, and has had a number of phsyc evaluations, and may suffer from post tramatic stress disorder. Jun is a III same for the rest of noble.

You're very correct. The reason Halsey has no connection with Spartan III's is because a Spartan II Sierra 051 - Kurt (Lt. Ambrose) trained the Spartan III's. Kurt was one of Halsey's picks to be a team leader (this is found in her journal) early on in the Spartan II project. Halsey had no influence on their training at all. In fact, her rival within the UNSC (Lt. Col Ackerson) started the Spartan III program. This may be a reason why she seems so irratated with Carter when they first meet after Sword Base. The Ghost of Onyx book details the Spartan III project. Back to my main point though, (as I was initially responding to a comment about how it was Halsey speaking at the end of the game and not Cortana) it is plausable that Halsey builds a connection with them as she has come to understand that the Spartan III project was engineered specifically to send the Spartan's into suicide missions. This is why we see them on Reach. We already know how the story ends so this is why Noble team (with the exception of Jorge) are Spartan III's. And it is true, she was the closest thing to a mother the Spartan II's ever had.

Ok, little late, but I wanted to throw this out there...

People have been saying that the missions didnt feel, "Spartan like," the reason being, IMO, is that the spartan III were not seen like the Spartan II's were. They were cheap and easy to make, unlike spartan II's. Halsey hints her disappointment in that fact when you first meet up with her.

Also Jorge didnt say "Mom" He said "Ma'am" it was his accent that made it seem like "mum"

Also Jorge didnt say "Mom" He said "Ma'am" it was his accent that made it seem like "mum"

ahaha so many of my friends thought that..
me being english recognised it simply as ma'am.. so when people said to me Jorge said mum i was like o_O urm i think youve got that wrong..
:p

the thing people forget is the fact that , yes..., spartan III's were considered dispendable and didnt have as good as armor, however ALL of Noble team already survived their "suicide" mission. So in fact...Noble Team is quite the elite group. I have been trying to track down a list of all possible spartans on REACH(i saw one earlier). Believe it or not...most are in fact Spartan IIs on REACH, hence Halsey's disgust perahps.

As per Cortana, there is a reason she is seen flickering more and holding her head...she is dying. She is near the end of her life cycle in Halo 3. It would be cool if she could reboot or transer ;)

*I am 3/4 through Ghost of Onyx now. Read Fall of Reach. I am a MAN , rarely cry(twice in my life) and I had tears starting reading these books. Coolest scene is when Lucy sees Kurt's Mojliner armor and lets out a sound(she is mute) and motions towards it. Right there shows how legendary and how much Spartan II's mean to EVERYONE, even Spartan IIIs

Ok, little late, but I wanted to throw this out there...

People have been saying that the missions didnt feel, "Spartan like," the reason being, IMO, is that the spartan III were not seen like the Spartan II's were. They were cheap and easy to make, unlike spartan II's. Halsey hints her disappointment in that fact when you first meet up with her.

Even with a accent, there is that "o" or "u" in there not a "a". Screw the subtitles and listen, very closely, to that phrase, there has already been 1 or 2 mistakes found in the subtitles, so "ma'am" could easily be another mistake in the subtitles, because of this i trust my ears more. He says mom not ma'am, even if the subtitles say other wise. Plus, considering the history of the II's and Halsey, i think it makes more sense that he calls her mom.

He said ma'am! Subtitles were written staight from the script! Ask any Hungarian to say ma'am and it will sound like mom! I know that because I know people with that accent!
Honestly, knowing dr Halsey, had he said mom he would have gotten a smack across the face.
Face it dude, he said ma'am, my ears alone agree with me too.

He said ma'am! Subtitles were written staight from the script! Ask
Face it dude, he said ma'am, my ears alone agree with me too.

And so do my eyes according to the subtitles. lol. But yeah, he says "ma'am", not "mom".

There is the one unexplored point: the effect of so much contact with Forerunner tech. No other human AI came close to having so much experience with Forerunner stuff.

Sure, Foreruner AIs went rampant too (not always), but they lasted a whole lot longer than 7 years. And remember Mendicant Bias? He went rampant, got split up into little pieces, and one piece actually realised it's own rampancy and came back and tried to redeem himself by helping Chief in Halo 3.

It's possible Cortana's connection to all that Forerunner tech and programming gave her some sort of knowledge or subroutine or something that gives her an advantage over the other human-made smart AIs.

I agree, I got the impression that Cortana wasn't a human constructed AI when Halsey is talking about her. Can't really explain it, it might be Halsey referring to Cortana as the "Warden"(or whatever word she used) of the Forerunner knowledge. Either way, I came away with the feeling that Cortana was, at the very least, blended with Forerunner tech. Which might explain why she had a much higher level security clearance than Aunt Dot did. Also that could explain why Halsey was taking so long to prep Cortana for transport and extract, she had to finish constructing her.
A lot of that is just speculation, but I still can't shake the feeling I got after that mission that Cortana is anything but a regular AI.

Here's my two cents for the Cortana discussion: You have to think about the business (real world) side of it. The same goes for the Chief. They're making too much money on these characters to just let the series die. Fans could state all of the facts and probable outcomes they want, but it's the developers that are in charge. Sure, they can make games from the past like Reach or Halo Wars, but you can only do so much until the whole thing gets old.
Think about it. It makes sense.

Umm, guys? I think I have something of an easter egg for Legendary.
When Six gives Keyes the separate portion of Cortana, Keyes states, "Halsey told me I could count on you."
On Legendary, he says "Catherine."
Maybe this is a statement of their relationship? Makes sense to me...
Also, on the SPARTAN in cryo easter egg:
Linda was also on the Pillar of Autumn before the events of Combat Evolved, but was ejected during landing. She was later recovered by the Chief and company (First Strike). It is possible, then, that the SPARTAN in cryo is Linda, while John is in the cryo bay, where we see him as the Pillar is attacked during Combat Evolved. Why Linda wouldn't be in medical I don't know (maybe she pissed of Keyes, or she was PMSing and the crew wanted revenge, or...), but it's a definite possibility.

Why Linda wouldn't be in medical I don't know (maybe she pissed of Keyes, or she was PMSing and the crew wanted revenge, or...), but it's a definite possibility.
Thats what I thought too!! I think that Linda was being transported to the med bay though...

i think the ending was bungie showing alot of maturity, i found odst's ending a bit of a let down since i found it a tad too humorous, but reach, omg, it was a shock having the credits end and being given the objective to survive, i knew the history, reach gets glassed after the autumn takes off, so i knew noble 6 was doomes no matter what, but in the end a true spartan, going down to the end, brilliant! loved it start to finnish!

i think the ending was bungie showing alot of maturity, i found odst's ending a bit of a let down since i found it a tad too humorous, but reach, omg, it was a shock having the credits end and being given the objective to survive, i knew the history, reach gets glassed after the autumn takes off, so i knew noble 6 was doomes no matter what, but in the end a true spartan, going down to the end, brilliant! loved it start to finnish!

Good point man. Frankly I found the whole game really depressing. I think they finally got the mood right this time. In Halo 1, you didn't really know what kind of importance people had. By Halo 2, nobody really important was killed and New Mombasa didn't seem that important either. By Halo 3 you were pretty much invincible. I defiantly wasn't expecting everything to happen in Reach.

On a side note, anyone know what happened to Jun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back