Reach Kukri Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

computergeek

Jr Member
Well I jumped when I found out that King Cobra had made a model for the kukri seen in the trailer for Reach.

Here I am, 3 days later, with an almost finished knife

gallery_13599_1901_366934.jpg

gallery_13599_1901_353572.jpg

I pepped the handle, then scratch-built the blade.

Credit to King Cobra

I just used whatever the pep was.

And to Alex-

What Cayoke said basically. I started pepping the blade, but accidentally cut one of the pieces in half. So I just used cardboard, because now the blade is much more stable. I think I'll use some spackle to clean up the blade a bit. Is spackle a good idea, or should I just get bondo. I'd like to just use spackle, but I'm not sure about its durability.

EDIT

Spawn Camp3r, I can't see the image you posted

computergeek said:
... EDIT

Spawn Camp3r, I can't see the image you posted

Try this:

residentkukri.jpg

Also just for reference, there are numerous sizes of Kukri :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i wish i could help out more, maybe when you get to the final stage to really polish that bad boy up with super fine sand paper

Well I just did some research, and I can get a quart of bondo from Lowes for $11. I'm still trying to find a place to get resin, as I have no Ace hardware within 50 miles of my house, and I don't think Lowes or Home Depot have it (if they do, it's not on their site) I may have to order the resin online, I found some on Ace's website, but the shipping is nearly the cost of the resin itself. I'll keep looking, but if anyone has suggestions, I'm open to them

EDIT

I just made a new master for a bigger blade. What I mean by that is I'll trace this to cardboard and cut it out, but I can use this foam board piece over again as a stencil type thing.

New blade-

gallery_13599_1901_366309.jpg

New blade in comparison with old blade-

gallery_13599_1901_139321.jpg

You can get Elmer's Fiberglass Resin as well, but it might be an in-store thing like some of their other stuff. It's not too difficult to find, should be on the same aisle as the adhesives and Bondo.

EDIT: And that's for Lowe's, not ACE Hardware or any other places, I'm a Lowe's supporter.

Thanks ImaGonnaGetYou

I finally was able to rebuild the blade from the new master-

Holding it up to the handle with the old blade attached-

gallery_13599_1901_247884.jpg

Showing the layers-

gallery_13599_1901_252074.jpg

Top View-

gallery_13599_1901_268307.jpg

Compared to other blade

gallery_13599_1901_307400.jpg

What I did was a layer of thin cardboard in the middle, with two other thick layers on either side. I cut the thick layers back so I can make the edge with the bondo easily.

Should I attach the blade before or after resin/bondo?

I really think that the newer blade has a mcuh nicer shape to it. :)

Are you going to try and make the entire suit too?

computergeek said:
Thanks ImaGonnaGetYou

I finally was able to rebuild the blade from the new master-

Holding it up to the handle with the old blade attached-

gallery_13599_1901_247884.jpg

Showing the layers-

gallery_13599_1901_252074.jpg

Top View-

gallery_13599_1901_268307.jpg

Compared to other blade

gallery_13599_1901_307400.jpg

What I did was a layer of thin cardboard in the middle, with two other thick layers on either side. I cut the thick layers back so I can make the edge with the bondo easily.

Should I attach the blade before or after resin/bondo?

If you really want it solid, then attach it before resining. Otherwise you'll have to find some kind of super strong adhesive to keep if from falling off.

HaloGoddess said:
Are you going to try and make the entire suit too?

No, I wasn't planning on it. I just figured it would make a nice sidearm

bobbio555 said:
If you really want it solid, then attach it before resining. Otherwise you'll have to find some kind of super strong adhesive to keep if from falling off.

Thanks, I'll do that

Nice work. I did some research on this type of knife. It turns out the design is from a weapon of Nepal. I wonder if this is going to play into the storyline some how... Or if they chose it because the knife just looks so dang cool.

Keep up the good designing.

Sounds interesting. Good news, I got some money for Christmas, so I'm going to go look for resin and bondo tomorrow. I'll post pictures of my progress.

EDIT

Just attached the new blade to the handle-

gallery_13599_1901_136875.jpg

gallery_13599_1901_150467.jpg

gallery_13599_1901_51177.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back