Reach MKV A Helmet build 4 Genisis Fan Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey hyper, any news on the casting? Im super eager to see how the casts turn out!!!

I was going to cast it Monday but found a few imperfections that I didn't want to come out in the mold, so I had to do a little body work, also bought clay to help seal the visor area but it contained sulfer, stupid me forgot to even look so I picked up sulfer free clay yesterday and also painted the helmet with a gloss coat of paint so it will seperate from the mold easier, so tomorrow is molding day, I will post picks of the molding process

finally got a chance to start molding the helmet yesterday, I got all the silicone finished, now all I need to do is make the fiberglass support shell, which I hope I can finish today, only problem is I have a few things I have take care of before I can get to work on the mold, I took pics but I did not take pics of the whole silicone process, I only took a few when I firts started the mold making

I painted the helmet with a gloss paint job so it will peel from the mold easier, also I sealed around the visor with oil based clay to stop the silicone from dripping between the visor and the helmet
DSC04883.jpg

This is the only other piicture i took, its the first thin skin coat of the Rebound 25
DSC04885.jpg

Sorry I didn't take more pictures, I will try to get some more tonight, hopefully I will finish this mold up today

I'm sure it will come out amazing. You do a phenomenal job on basically everything you touch...lol. Good luck on the jacket/mother mold.

-Tony

Sorry I did not post progress pics for making the mold, Im in a rush to finish this helmet so I never stopped to take pics, but the mold and outer jacket mold are both completed, I pulled the first cast this morning to make sure everything is lining up with the jacket mold and silicone mold, when I pulled the original helmet from the mold I notice a few thin spots of silicone I missed somehow so I hent back and put a thicker coat of silicone over those areas, I tried not to make it to thick so it wouldn't effect the mold, but the cast revealed a few small indented areas, nothing bad and you can hardley tell but Im going to fix it anyways, just need to grind back some of the fiberglass in the jacket mold, the white helmet is the original helmet and the plain tannish one is the cast, its a thin cast maybe 3 cups worth of smooth cast 320 because thats all I had left but it still shows me any problem places and thats what I wanted, otherwise this mold is a sucsess tell me what you guys think
DSC04890.jpg

Its hard to see the little carved lines in the back of the helmet cast but the mold reproduced them perfectly, that glob you see at the bottom is some flashing that needs to be sanded off
DSC04892.jpg

DSC04891.jpg

DSC04893.jpg

Sorry I did not post progress pics for making the mold, Im in a rush to finish this helmet so I never stopped to take pics, but the mold and outer jacket mold are both completed, I pulled the first cast this morning to make sure everything is lining up with the jacket mold and silicone mold, when I pulled the original helmet from the mold I notice a few thin spots of silicone I missed somehow so I hent back and put a thicker coat of silicone over those areas, I tried not to make it to thick so it wouldn't effect the mold, but the cast revealed a few small indented areas, nothing bad and you can hardley tell but Im going to fix it anyways, just need to grind back some of the fiberglass in the jacket mold, the white helmet is the original helmet and the plain tannish one is the cast, its a thin cast maybe 3 cups worth of smooth cast 320 because thats all I had left but it still shows me any problem places and thats what I wanted, otherwise this mold is a sucsess tell me what you guys think
DSC04890.jpg

Its hard to see the little carved lines in the back of the helmet cast but the mold reproduced them perfectly, that glob you see at the bottom is some flashing that needs to be sanded off
DSC04892.jpg

DSC04891.jpg

DSC04893.jpg

For someone who has never done a mold, you did a fabulous job. The casting look beautiful! I want one...lol

-Tony

Thanks Tony, It also helped alot that you gave me pointers before I built the mold, I really appreciat the help

Thank you Sandy for the comment

That's some darned awesome work there. I'm incredibly impressed and tempted to apply for a cast myself.

In the offchance that I can't afford it - would you do me the MASSIVE honour of taking some orthographic shots so that I can model this beauty for Pepakura? The existing files aren't up to scratch with this model and I think it'd be awesome to have a model based off of this stunning work.

That's some darned awesome work there. I'm incredibly impressed and tempted to apply for a cast myself.

In the offchance that I can't afford it - would you do me the MASSIVE honour of taking some orthographic shots so that I can model this beauty for Pepakura? The existing files aren't up to scratch with this model and I think it'd be awesome to have a model based off of this stunning work.

Actually this helmet is not exactly game accurate, I basically had the base shape which is off some and did my best to match the details on it as the game model, your best bet to make a more game accurate model would probably extract the helmet from the actual game, once the test filming and whatever else the ffilm guys need to do with this helmet, and they ok it for me to give it a final paintjob, I will take finished photos of the helmet with all the angles, Im just not sure how long it will be for sure, hopefully soon because I want to give the original helmet its final paintjob

Man how can i get my hands on one of these! haha They are really amazing. :)

I will eventually sell casts of these helmets, just keep an eye out

You have done some great work Hyper. So much detail is added to this. One of my guys is building the same pep file right now and I can really see just how much work you did to get all the details right. I'm fully impressed, and now that I see this is your first cast, I am even more impressed with how well you have done over the whole scope of the project. I'm eagerly anticipating pictures of the fully painted project. Good luck man, keep on building.

-Cagle

You have done some great work Hyper. So much detail is added to this. One of my guys is building the same pep file right now and I can really see just how much work you did to get all the details right. I'm fully impressed, and now that I see this is your first cast, I am even more impressed with how well you have done over the whole scope of the project. I'm eagerly anticipating pictures of the fully painted project. Good luck man, keep on building.

-Cagle

Thanks, I really appreciate the comment, Hope the helmet that one of your guys are building turns out nice, if you need any tips or anything just let me know and I will help if I can

Thanks, I really appreciate the comment, Hope the helmet that one of your guys are building turns out nice, if you need any tips or anything just let me know and I will help if I can

No problems man, I'll be updating tonight with a few progress pics of the MKV if your interested. He's done a good job so far. Thanks for the offer of help.

really nice, how strong are those casts compared to an fiberglass/bondo helmet?

I would say they are just as strong as a fiberglassed/rondo helmet, they can crack if dropped really hard just like a fiberglassed one could, one real benifit with a cast or a helmet harden with Smooth cast is there is no nasty resin smell when you wear the helmet

Nice to see my File(Albeit 2-3 times removed) go to greatness, and now I want one :|

AND Now I'm having attention withdraws, I made a helmet too, don't any of you remember? It kicked ass! *Sobs*Waaaaaaaaaaaa....it had a mold and everything...

Nice work :]

You are right,the nasty resin smell is terrible when your head is trapped inside.
By the way,the mark V A helmet you made looks great!
Keep up the good work.
Can't wait to see the finished project,as well as the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back