Reach MKV A Helmet build 4 Genisis Fan Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperballistik

Like the title says, this is a tread to show progress pics of a Halo Reach Mark V A variant helmet, I am building this helmet for Genisis Fan Film, This helmet is to become a mother mold, to make a few of these helmets for the fan film.

For info on the fan film, check these guys out, great group of people with outstanding talent for making films, help support these guys
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29929-HALO-Pitch-Trailer

The Helmet is a Mark V A model, the original pep file was made by Roadwarrior, I think there were problems with it being to narrow at the bottom so putting it on over your head was tuff, but thanks to L3XBL3R1V3R for editing the file to make the bottom wider, its now easier to put on your head. I started building this helmet about 2 weeks ago, it was easy to build only thing I would suggest is it needs a paper visor or support struts to help support it during the hardening process. also it does not contain many detailed parts on the pep itself, lets just say this helmet is putting mt detailing skills to the test, basically I started out with a blank canvas and now im doing my artwork, anyways here are a bunch of pics to show my progress so far, I left out the bondo process pics, I don;t think anybody cares about those, I belive you guys like to see the results so let me know what you guys think so far and if you have any suggestions to aid in this build please comment

Also here is the link to the pep file for any of you guys that are interested in building this helmet, Thanks to Roadwarrior and L3X for the file
MKV A helmet pephttp://www.4shared.com/file/ONa4nhMO/Mark_V_A_By_Roadwarrior_Edit-L.html?

now to the pics

here is what im trying to achive
reach_6340904_Full.jpg

Reach_7268257_Full.jpg

Pic of the helmet in pep stage next to a MKVI pep
DSC04786.jpg

The smoothing process, notice the lack of details, I added the front vents, I borrowed them from another pep model
DSC04801.jpg

And where its at right now, with alot of detailing, like I said this is putting my skills to the test
DSC04823.jpg

It has a wide rear
DSC04824.jpg

DSC04828.jpg

DSC04833.jpg

Had to add this detail on the top
DSC04831.jpg

Here is a pic with a cheap visor just stuck in the helmet to give me an idea of how it will fit in the helmet
DSC04835.jpg

Thats it for now, I still need to carve details into the back of the helmet, install the visor fix some little spots here and there before painting, let me know what you guys think

Great work Hyper!!!! I knew you had the skills to tackle this!

LOL Thanks man, now you see why I haven't finished up my EOD or my Hayabusa helmet, I have another project that took priority, but I should have this one finished up here soon, The helmet has kind of grown on me, I wasn't a fan of this model but now im thinking I may make a Reach suit to go with this version helmet, not that I need another project, but im seriously thinking about it

Awesome work as always Hyper! Seeing your other work, I'm sure you skills are up to the task of making this Mk V helmet a work of art. Can't wait to see more progress. :cool

LOL Thanks man, now you see why I haven't finished up my EOD or my Hayabusa helmet, I have another project that took priority, but I should have this one finished up here soon, The helmet has kind of grown on me, I wasn't a fan of this model but now im thinking I may make a Reach suit to go with this version helmet, not that I need another project, but im seriously thinking about it

It is a beautiful helmet, I wasn't a fan of the older versions of this helmet, but the Reach version looks sick and your skills are definitely doing it justice. I drew up a quick plan on molding it, it's merely a suggestion, but since you haven't done this before, I figured I could give you some what of a starting point (layout of how I would approach the key placement).

IMG_20110831_091415.jpg

Maybe even put a key on the visor (Smaller than the rest, but just so it holds the front into the jacket better)

Just a thought. Im still a noob at doing this stuff myself.

Anyways, awsome work!

Wow Hyper, that looks fantastic! After looking at this and your eod I have to ask, how do you get it so smooth?! Is it just alot of time with some bondo? Or do you have a secret??

Same thing, this is absolutely amazing and have been waiting for progress like this on the MKVA. lso would like to know how you packed that detail in (i.e. cut it out)

Same thing, this is absolutely amazing and have been waiting for progress like this on the MKVA. lso would like to know how you packed that detail in (i.e. cut it out)
In his Reach EOD thread he posted this:
I just use a small hack saw blade with teeth on the rounded parts, that way I get a straight cut
Just thought'd I'd save him some time from replying since I was just looking at this.

well i guess he just uses awesome sand paper for the smoothing :p it gets like glass when using 1000 grit sandpaper :D

Thanks for comments guys, it definatly helps when trying to finish a helmet, I had a few hours today so I finished up adding the detail work under the sun visor, also I noticed a few of you are wondering how I do all this stuff to my helmets, actually there is not much to it, I took pictures today as I did the detail work and the materials I used, and how I do this, the only problem is, I still need to upload them to photobucket, but im feeling lazy right now, I will try to do it tonight and give you guys a quick tutorial on how I do this stuff, as for how I make the helmet smooth, I just do it the normal way, thin layers of bondo then sand, then repeat that same step till I have it where I want it, then I just give the helmet a quick once over with a thin coat of spot putty filler and sand that down till its completely smooth, I don't use an electric sander after the first coat of Bondo, I hand sand it, because I have control of how much pressure to put on the sand paper and the shape I want to achive, It takes time but the results are worth it, plus if you rush the sanding you will end up with a rushed looking job

But once again thanks for the comments and I will get the latest progress pics up shortly Thanks for checking out my thread

I have to echo everyone's praise...this looks fantastic. I am enamored (wish I was en-armored) with your ability to so crisply capture detail.

I like the progression the model has made from Roadwarrior's original to Rhinoc's modification and now to L3X's modification. Thanks to everyone involved to provide the awesome model (this wasn't always one of my favorites but I started liking it after Roadwarrior made his sculpt of it). The detail you've added to this though really sends it over the fence.

Thanks for sharing your work and I look forward to seeing some of your progress shots and whatever tips you can provide via tutorial. Great work!

Update time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am finally finised with all of the detail work, yesterday I did the detail work under the sun visor and today I carved in the little lines in the back of the helmet, now all I have to do is install the visor and hit a few spots with spot putty to fix little scratches and dents either I missed or caused while working on the helmet, once thats done this bad boy is ready for molding, here are pics of the helmet in its current state

Detail work I did under the sun visor, I think it looks bettter than just a flat piece, I will post on this thread how I did this detail work, but not on this post because I have a few pics to show and I don't feel like typing a ton of stuff at the moment
DSC04853.jpg

This is the back of the helmet to show the little lines I added to the back, they were a pain to do but I managed it, still needs a little clean up
DSC04851.jpg

How the helmet looks at this point in time
DSC04857.jpg

DSC04858.jpg

DSC04854.jpg

Thanks for looking at my thread

Love the mk V helmet. I am truly torn between the Halo: CE version and the Reach version. Both are just so COOL!!!!!! Love the added detail. Keep up the awesome work. Can't wait to see it finished!!!

Wow... really, this is amazing! You've really done an amazing job on this so far!! One question, how difficult was the pep? Any suggestions other than adding struts or a visor that would have made it easier to build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back