Reach Jun Build (Foam/fibreglass + custom undersuit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.....there is an answer...a bit extreme but it would work....:
giphy-downsized (2).gif
It worked for Shena O'Connor........:D

Helmet looks great.

Dirtdives, are you jealous of the hair?

On a more serious note; I am certainly not a girl, but I've seen friends use buns to distribute hair evenly. As of now, it looks like your eyebrows are going to be interfering with the visor once it is installed. You could attempt to make a large bun on the crown of your head and see if that works at all. You might have to talk to Kat to see what worked for her. :lol:

I tried a bun but I have so much hair that it is too big and pushed my head way forward. I'm thinking french braids but they would have to be tucked into a balaclava because they're too long. I didn't want to have to wear one but I can make it from a breathable mesh so It shouldn't make anything any hotter.

I think once the helmet is padded in the right areas my head will stay where it needs to be, my eyebrows wont be an issue.

I tried a bun but I have so much hair that it is too big and pushed my head way forward. I'm thinking french braids but they would have to be tucked into a balaclava because they're too long. I didn't want to have to wear one but I can make it from a breathable mesh so It shouldn't make anything any hotter.

I think once the helmet is padded in the right areas my head will stay where it needs to be, my eyebrows wont be an issue.

You could also look into pin curls which is the mainstay of cosplayers that wear wigs.

Helmet looks great.

Dirtdives, are you jealous of the hair?

On a more serious note; I am certainly not a girl, but I've seen friends use buns to distribute hair evenly. As of now, it looks like your eyebrows are going to be interfering with the visor once it is installed. You could attempt to make a large bun on the crown of your head and see if that works at all. You might have to talk to Kat to see what worked for her. :lol:

Are you jealous of her eyebrows?
giphy (29).gif

What and you don't think that helps? Both of us draw attention to threads......gives them a bit of flavor. ok....ok.....

The helmet looks great.....granted right now it is a bit on the small side. Even w/ tucking in the hair, you still have to make it even smaller on the inside w/ the layers of fiberglass and resin....so.....yeah.....no help, sorry.

Oh Dirtdives you know exactly how to kill my joy. Christmas is ruined.

Haha in all honestly though. I agree it may be a tad too small. I might try bracing it a little wider and see how much that helps.
I'm really trying to keep it very spartan accurate. I don't want the helmet to be too big or too small compared with the armor. looking back. it might do to make the torso armor slightly bigger for Jun and use the one I made for Kat. My knees are still too small. (maybe the shins too) STOP ME NOW, LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

IMG_20170813_145146.jpg jun_a266_by_blackops_sniper-d45x79u.png

Haha in all honestly though. I agree it may be a tad too small. I might try bracing it a little wider and see how much that helps.
I'm really trying to keep it very spartan accurate. I don't want the helmet to be too big or too small compared with the armor. looking back. it might do to make the torso armor slightly bigger for Jun and use the one I made for Kat. My knees are still too small. (maybe the shins too) STOP ME NOW, LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE.

View attachment 251754 View attachment 251755
GIVE IN TO THE PERFECTIONISM!!
Ok, seriously.
GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF! Dirtdives is possibly the most unreliable source of scaling information on planet earth. I mean, he did make 16 Fred helmets after all in an attempt to make his helmet fit. And in the end, he still had to get someone else to pep it for him! So, if you ever need a detailed instruction manual for how to make fred's helmet, ask Dirtdives. xD

The chest looks pretty much spot-on. Knees and shins are a wee bit small, but the thighs are good. Space diaper looks about right as well. Could you post a picture with the helmet on for reference?

See? I can be helpful. At least, when Dirtdives doesn't chime in for some trouble.

Then Happy Hanukkah!!!! .....Oh, wait.......That's over already. Quanza starts on the 26th.........Happy Quanza!!!!! :D

How much can you stretch a paper helmet? If you try during reining you might punch/tear some holes in it. Or just warp it to unwearable......sorry not helping....actually making things worse, aren't I?

And by the way, I might have had trouble (lots) w/ my helmet....but I know when wrong is wrong.

Dirtdives you've developed quite the eye for this sort of thing hmm? I wouldn't be stretching it much, just to make it the tiniest bit wider. it would be more likely to fit a motorcycle visor if I make it wider, not to mention more accurate to my reference pictures. these peps are gonna need a lot of post production.
I may even cast it properly later on once I can afford to and have time.
IMG_0616.JPGjun-a266-square-542x542-8576226f5a094ca2bcded1b5e2791267.jpgReachConcept_JunHelmet.jpg

Last edited:
Dirtdives you've developed quite the eye for this sort of thing hmm? I wouldn't be stretching it much, just to make it the tiniest bit wider. it would be more likely to fit a motorcycle visor if I make it wider, not to mention more accurate to my reference pictures. these peps are gonna need a lot of post production.
I may even cast it properly later on once I can afford to and have time.
View attachment 251764View attachment 251766View attachment 251765
I think your scaling of the helmet is pretty good. IMO, you should stick with your current plan to widen it a little.

Also, do you have props planned for this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back