RoxyRoo's Chick Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoxyRoo

**I'm Updating again! Check the newest pages for progress pics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, I'm RoxyRoo. I'm an avid cosplayer and aspiring manga artist. I'm also a member of Phoenix Team, which you can read about elsewhere on the Noob Forum.

I'm making a chick Spartan! But you already knew that. What you don't know is that I'm not using Pepakura. Why? Because there are no files available for the armor I want. Instead I'm using a traditional paper crafting method I learned in college last year, and so far it's working pretty darn well. Already, I'm getting good results and am making more progress than the other spartans on my team. Like everyone else on my team, though, I'm giving myself a year to do this. No rush, so can focus on doing it right.

Craft Foam!
A favorite amongst cosplayers, but sadly missing here on 405th. I've seen Ithica use this for minor details on his armor, but I've never seen a full spartan made out of this stuff. While it's kinda flimsy, it has a nice thickness to it, and once you seal it properly, it looks amazing. However, like paper, it only bends one direction. Luckily for me, the armor I want to do is very angular. Woot.

Without further ado, here's some progress pictures!

3) Patterns on right. Craft foam cut-outs on left.
100_2970.jpg

4) front piece of bicep. (It looks great, but I think i made it too small...)
Photoon2010-06-19at2134.jpg

5) Finished shoulder piece.
100_2973.jpg

6) Turns out I made my shoulders way too small, so I made another pair about 30% bigger. See the difference? They're not done yet, but yeah. My left shoulder will look like the orginal one I made. The right shoulder I decided to attach a knife too. It's going to look badass. >:3
100_3024.jpg

Sorry for the wierd photo sizes. I'm not used to photobucket yet. >_>;;

-RoxyRoo

Very Nice, im not much of a "designer" the other people on our team are lol, im just the man with the plan :)

Looks nice so far! And whats this about teams? Is there a benefit to a team?

Also, Im switching my own pencil drawin over to a more manga looking style, it can be clean and very dramatic when done right and Im kinda excited about getting it down.

Nice to meet you.

Thanks guys. ^^ I'm glad you like it so far.

@ Arloch
It's nothing special. We're just calling ourselves a team cuz we're a big group that's working together, that's all. Follow this link to read more: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25078-Phoenix-Team-Build

@ soul products
it's a question mark. lol. You'll just have to wait and see. I will tell you it is one of the MJOLNIR permutations.

@project003
I do have a video. Sorta. All my video work on my armor is featured on HaloPhoenixTeam's youtube account. We have 2 videos so far. Follow this link to watch. http://www.youtube.com/user/HaloPhoenixTeam

I'll probably be tuning you in for a bit of support/influence. I have a hard time cracking down on my own projects lately, I think I just had too many ideas hit me at once and now the workload is pretty huge. I think I am going to decide what I want for Halloween, start/finish it, then see what happens.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more videos.

Ding Ding Ding! XD
I figured it'd be given away when I put up my avatar, but straight out telling everyone would have been no fun. lol

Craft foam huh? That's a new one. People usually scratch build with cardboard. But hey, at least this way you can probably not have to worry about using the crazy chemicals to harden it. :p

I am curious to see what this will look like once it's all said and done.

This is looking great so far. I love seeing a good scratch build even more than working from a pep file. Good old craft foam! I still have piles of that stuff sitting around from some old costumes, always wrote it off as "too squishy" for armor making. What are your plans for sealing it and making it more durable?

Are you going to fiberglass it? You're the only person I've seen who's making Mk. IV armor too. However, mine's gonna be the standard version from Halo Wars. I'll be pepping it, too.

@Sid:
Yeah. I'm doing Kelly's EVA armor from the Package, all except for the thighs. I'll be doing Fred's thighs and right shoulder. When it's done, i'll be doing the colors from my avatar (tan and red).

@HaloGoddess
Female spartan, ahoy! :3 yeah. I'm curious too.

@FlyerFye & Anonymous ONI agent:
Frankly, i'm scared of using fiberglass. Not to mention I don't own a respirator. However, I'm going to try using PaperClay in the same way. It's non-toxic and hardens very well. I'll be using that on the inside, and for minor details on the outside like bondo. To seal it a bit further, and for extra strength, I'm going to try that Aqua Resin stuff I heard about. It's supposedly non-toxic and works just as well as regular resin. But it'll be a while before I try.

Is there anyone you know who might be willing to fiberglass it for you. I also believe Ruze or another senior member found a really good nontoxic fiberglass substitute that works nearly as well. You should check into those. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back