RoxyRoo's Chick Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
its awesome... i always loved the armor from the package specially the Kelly`s armor... we need more spartans chicks!!!... keep working =D

Since you seem to be questioning your options on hardening it and considering that you said you don't own a respirator, even tough you can always buy one :p, have you heard about smooth on products?

They are NON TOXIC :D and you can do it indoors as well. Smooth cast 320 and 321 and the ones that I have heard of people using and it's basically dries like a plastic. However, I am not sure of it's reaction with the craft foam.

You could probably buy a starter kit and make a quick build of something random and test the stuff out to see what happens. If it doesn't work, then you are out $20-$30, if it does, then you can buy the gallon kits, which are pretty expensive, but it will allow you to harden a lot of stuff and a single one gallon kit should harden all of your armor pieces! :D

And even though they are one gallon kits, you actually get TWO GALLONS worth of material since you get a gallon of part a & b. :D

Whew! That was a mouth full! XD haha

Wow... finally someone using craft foam to build a spartan suit :)
I had originally planned to build mine this way - but my team had access to a vaccuforming table... and it was easier replicating suit with vaccuforming than with craft foam. However, I always knew it could be done.

I just can't wait to see this done !!!

You look like you haven't figured out the hardening process yet... my opinion on this is: why try to harden something that doesn't have to be ??? You're working with a flexible material and the fact that it is flexible is one of its good point. You'll be more confortable wearing your craft foam suit than any of your team member wearing their pep/fiberglass/bondo suit. I think you should be looking at making the craft foam stronger, not harder.

I suggest you look at using hot glue to strenghten the foam.
Coating the inside of each of your armor pieces with hot glue will make the foam strong enough not to tear under the stress of the straps and such you'll have to use to wear this suit. It will also give each pieces a nice added weight so they "fall properly" when worn. I've been making craft foam armor for the last 5 years and since I've been using hot glue to strengthen my foam - I've never had any problem with the armor falling apart or tearing. What I usually do is "double" every part of my armor with a second craft foam sheet (applied on the inside with a lot of hot glue). The glue strengthen the piece and you're not left with the sticky surface of hot glue when cooled because of that second sheet of craft foam.

Best thing is - hot glue is still flexible once cooled... which means you'll still keep a bit of the flexibility from the craft foam - which is gonna make a great suit.

Have a look at my website (see signature) to see some of my costume-mmaking tricks when working with foam. I've posted a couple of tutorials on there.

*** EDIT ***
First post since forum came back up - forgot to add signature :)
Here is the link to my website: www.fullmetalsam.com

They are NON TOXIC :D and you can do it indoors as well. Smooth cast 320 and 321 and the ones that I have heard of people using and it's basically dries like a plastic. However, I am not sure of it's reaction with the craft foam.

Smooth cast! That's it!

Another thing to try is wood glue. It may work, but I doubt it. I reinforce cardboard cutouts by coating them in wood glue. I use several extremely thin coats so it dries clear. Epoxy resin would work much better with foam, but it's carcinogenic.

What you have done already looks good! Sorry to hear you had to remake some things because of sizing, I hate that!! Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.

I'll agree with HaloGoddess' suggestion of smooth-on products. Personally, I find the stuff straight up FUN to use. I'm a fan of Smooth-Cast Roto for hardening, it's easy, it's (mostly) safe, and it doesn't take a whole lot of time. The only downside is that it's just a bit on the expensive side. But if you can, I'd definitely recommend giving a trial size a try.

Cool work so far, looks good, especially for not using pep lol.

Only one Pep file for that armor exists, and its the hand plate. as far as i know i was the only one to ever make a model from the Legends short. Although i was building that helm you have in you Avatar once, the files are now lost to the abyss of a garbage computer lol.

wow. you guys are full of great tips, arent'cha? Alas, money is a bit of an issue right now, so I'll be taking the cheaper options to mind.

Update: I'm getting ready for Anime Expo for the July 4th weekend. I'm working on 2 other costumes right now, so I'm sorry to say updates might not come for a week. ^^; My next post will have pictures I swear.

As promised, my latest post has some new pictures. ^^
Anime Expo was fun. I got to wear both costumes I was working on, even though one of them wasn't finished. But now that it's over, I can focus on my Spartan again. Yay!

okay. Picture time.

1) For those of you unfamiliar with Legends: The Package, I'm doing Mark IV EVA Power Assault Variant. Kelly wears this, and this is her bicep piece. I think I took every possible screenshot of the short film to have proper reference. >_>;

Screenshot2010-07-16at122232AM.png

2) I moved to using grid paper instead of computer paper. Reasons are obvious; it makes it easier to keep things congruent, with the right angles and such. This is a pattern for the front bicep. I cut these out and traced them onto craft foam just like before. (yes, that's me.. Hi!)

Photoon2010-07-10at2015.jpg

3) Another comparison shot. I made my front bicep pieces too thin (width-wise). They're nice and big now. I switched from tan to white craft foam because I found a huge roll of it for $8 at Joanns. Woot!

Photoon2010-07-15at2355.jpg

4) Here's how big it is on ME! 8D

Photoon2010-07-16at00065.jpg

I'll probably have both bicep pieces entirely finished by the end of this weekend. Weee!

Wow looking good so far, it is hard to make it with that stuff?? I guess the main part is getting it on paper and the right size yeah xD

Holy crap! that's awesome! XDDD

I do see 2 little mistakes. The top layer's "north" end sinks into the larger piece. And there's two little raised details that stick on the upper "tooth". If that doesn't make sense, look at the pics below. (I photoshopped your pics!) ^^

Screenshot2010-07-16at22609PM.png
Screenshot2010-07-16at23120PM.png

Otherwise, I'd say that's a really good pep for your first ever!

awesome.
Did I forget to mention I'm using craft foam because I have a mac? Pepakura Viewer only works on PCs. ^_^ Though, there is another guy wanting to use Legend parts for his spartan. Maybe he can use your pep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back