Sealgair's road to Recon WIP *pic heavy*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some more progress. I used the Dremel to cut protruding fibreglass and smoothend the opening for both the visor and the head. Afterwards I put on the first layer of Bondo (until I ran out of it). The whole process: mud-glassing, 2nd layer of Rondo, dremeling and applying the Bondo took about 2,5 hours excluding the curing time. Tell me what you think :)

Just to give you an impression on how smooth the interior is now - including loads of sanding dust :D
interior_zps67f64648.jpg

And the helmet in it's full glory *cough*
firstbondo_zpsebd7f99f.jpg

As usual, any constructive criticism and comments are very much appreciated :)

Wow, the shape, its so pretty *sniffs* lol and smooth! Looking good so far far, keep it up :)

Alright here we go. First update after almost a year :lol I have set up workshop in a new place, still missing a few bits and pieces but got my delta sander up and running. Got the helmet out and started sanding off the Rondo I put on without thinking. The plan is to smoothen the entire surface of this thing and then see where I would need to apply filler. The detailing will take a while as well.

IMAG2751_zpsttatsuhp.jpg

IMAG2752_zpsiopen4sf.jpg

The helmet warped quite a bit during the mudglassing. I will need to do a lot of sanding to level some surfaces.

YAY!!!
Maybe trying taking a heat gun to the helmet and slowly unwarp it?? this way you might not have to add more material to it. *shrugs* might be something to try.
Good luck

a little warping isn't bad, easy fix. Nice work sir, I think you will REACH our expectations of the final product.

YAY!!!
Maybe trying taking a heat gun to the helmet and slowly unwarp it?? this way you might not have to add more material to it. *shrugs* might be something to try.
Good luck

I used rondo on the inside including fibreglass mat, would that still work?

a little warping isn't bad, easy fix. Nice work sir, I think you will REACH our expectations of the final product.

Thanks man appreciate it!

It doesnt hurt to try :)
Just go slow and dont rush the process

Alright, will try. I did a lot of sanding yesterday, there is also progress on other parts of the armor.

Helmet: many sharp edges slightly trimmed, bigger areas sanded. Next step is to add details, even out all the rough structures with filler and fine sand everything.
IMAG2839_zpsmlu5rkfa.jpg

and the other side
IMAG2837_zpst0hfhz2e.jpg

and here is another part of the armor I had to renew as the original one has been destroyed in the house moving process
IMAG2840_zpsrqiu04lo.jpg

Aaaaaaaan I hereby "un-necroed" my thread. I am back at working on this project. Currently reprinting and pepping the missing pieces for the armour. I also have scaled up in terms of equipment, meaning I have a cameo 3 now at hand which should speed up the pepping stage significantly.

P.S. I cannot believe it has been 4 years since posting last. Crazy. Hope anyone who commented on this post is still knocking about! Make yourself known lads

Aaaaaaaan I hereby "un-necroed" my thread. I am back at working on this project. Currently reprinting and pepping the missing pieces for the armour. I also have scaled up in terms of equipment, meaning I have a cameo 3 now at hand which should speed up the pepping stage significantly.

P.S. I cannot believe it has been 4 years since posting last. Crazy. Hope anyone who commented on this post is still knocking about! Make yourself known lads
I wasn't here 4 years ago... but I'm glad to see you're back! Your recon is looking great! I'd love to see it finished and painted :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back