Sean Anwalt's Halo 4/5 Master Chief build

Status
Not open for further replies.
20190519_220647.jpg

Tested leak seal on the shoe goo'd codpiece today. My verdict:

AWESOMESWEETCOOLAMAZING stuff! I bent the piece really hard in half, and NOTHING! this stuff is GREAT! My reach suit is definitely lacking compared to this.

Tomorrow I have off so I intend to dedicate the whole day almost to getting this finished up!

Today I have:
Sealed the forearms, biceps, shoulders, chest, backpack, and shins. Shoe goo'd the thighs, part of the helmet, and sewn most of the undersuit. The undersuit would be done, but I'm missing the zipper and the collar pattern, so I can't go any further today.

Some of the chest damage was filled in, so I'll have to go back and touch that up before painting, but otherwise I am so super excited to be at this stage! XD (don't worry about those glaring gaps. I have a plan that I think will look BOMB)

15584094023968836546892589200050.jpg

15584095107964755540093648405744.jpg

Paint colors.

Using a home depot app and several screenshots of gameplay and my reference photos, the three most popular colors are deepest earth green, deepest woodland green, and black onyx.

Now I'm beginning to wish I has paid more attention in art class so I know how best to mix these things. And also gotten better grades and better job so I could afford these things!

Don't know that I'll make my Saturday deadline but I'll be pretty close!

If I may summon from the deep the mighty ExCeLLuR8 once more, may I have a good up close look at your shoes, please? How they were constructed and etc...

Today I have:
Sealed the forearms, biceps, shoulders, chest, backpack, and shins. Shoe goo'd the thighs, part of the helmet, and sewn most of the undersuit. The undersuit would be done, but I'm missing the zipper and the collar pattern, so I can't go any further today.

Some of the chest damage was filled in, so I'll have to go back and touch that up before painting, but otherwise I am so super excited to be at this stage! XD (don't worry about those glaring gaps. I have a plan that I think will look BOMB)

View attachment 270086

View attachment 270087

Paint colors.

Using a home depot app and several screenshots of gameplay and my reference photos, the three most popular colors are deepest earth green, deepest woodland green, and black onyx.

Now I'm beginning to wish I has paid more attention in art class so I know how best to mix these things. And also gotten better grades and better job so I could afford these things!

Don't know that I'll make my Saturday deadline but I'll be pretty close!

If I may summon from the deep the mighty ExCeLLuR8 once more, may I have a good up close look at your shoes, please? How they were constructed and etc...

Awesome work man, it's all looking good and I don't know how you're getting this together so quickly! Those little seam gaps, if you smooth them out with the caulk and light sanding, then spray them again with leak seal, they'll become invisible.

As far as the boots, I built out the frame of the boot leaving where the sole goes empty. Then the sole template from the files, I traced to 1/2 thick rubber horse stall mat that has lined thread on it. I carefully cut out with a heavy duty knife and then cleaned up the edges with my dremel. Then glued little pieces of foam inside my boot to hold the sole in place about half way inside to the frame with about a 1/4 of the rubber sole exposed on the test fit. I then took the sole out and coated the edges with shoe goo and set it in place on those supports in the boot frame i glued in. Let that cure for a couple of hours then built up another bead of smooth shoe goo on that exposed 1/4" of sole. Let that cure over night with the boot upside down. The next day I built up a heavy strong bead of shoe goo inside the boot between the sole and the frame of the boot using gravity to flow the goo where I wanted it to built up a strong bond. I then join the boot to the host shoe with of course a heavy application of shoe goo between the rubber boot sole and the shoe soles. I used a thread safe shoe from Walmart that was decent price and the shoe sole had a lot of patterns for the goo to bond too. Took about a week per boot to do this with cure times but the result was a good strong boot I'd wear outside with no problem.

20190126_230128.jpg20190128_221203.jpg20190306_153208.jpg

Last edited:
Hey man, just wanted to share an update with you on paint as I have been totally racking my brain and losing sleep the last 5 days, but I have learned a lot and figured I'd share. Mixing the metallics was cool but unfortunately not giving me the results I wanted. Was getting strange results no matter how many mixtures I came up with. So back to the drawing board with the kiss principal, keep it simple. The color that I previously zerozeroes in on as chief is oakmoss. Literally spraying on straight oakmoss gives me the exact color chief is and matching various light is real life to the comparison light in the game is also spot on. So in summary, my base is just going to be straight sherwin williams oakmoss, sprayed on with my airbrush to get the matte look. I'm using that color in an exterior satin latex. It's tough stuff. My pics attached you will see, same color matched to compared light in the game. Almost spot on aside from charing and weathering. So I think the kiss principal is definitely key.

2019-05-22 08.35.53.jpg2019-05-22 08.33.21.jpg

Looks dam close. The problem w/ mixing your own color.......sometimes the 2nd batch doesn't always come out matching the same. Make sure to mix enough for the whole suit. Then there is the issue of touch-ups and repair work later on.....and trust me, there will be.

Looks dam close. The problem w/ mixing your own color.......sometimes the 2nd batch doesn't always come out matching the same. Make sure to mix enough for the whole suit. Then there is the issue of touch-ups and repair work later on.....and trust me, there will be.
Yup I totally agree. That's another reason I didn't want to get crazy with paint mixing. No matter what you do, second batch will never be the same. Luckily my wife was able to figure out the exact pantone codes for all his colors and match them to Sherwin Williams color codes. Oakmoss for halo 3 is spot on. Also something else to note. Don't use the cheap samples for your actual paint job, they're cheap for a reason and rub off with your thumb friction. Only good for testing. The exterior enamel is crazy strong, really flexible does not wrinkle, Crack or peel, and also sheds water really well.

For some reason I am unable to post pictures. That stinks. So I guess for the time being we're stuck with just a text update.

I dedicated my afternoon and evening yesterday to the suit. I finished the undersuit construction, bought some horse-stall mats for the soles of the boots and installed them, prepped the boots for some finishing details before sealing and painting, painted the forearms, butt plate, and shins white to match the white chest piece and ab plate that were sealed with white leak- seal, and filled in the glaring canyon in my helmet cheek. I have the helmet about half-way shoe goo'd as well.

I have redone the damage in the chest, added some final details to the back and jetpacks, and am about to get some rubber tubing installed on the under suit, as well as velcro patches and snaps to help keep the armor in place.

I'm tempted to take a Camelback pouch and fit it inside the back, then make one of the chest tubes a drinking straw, since it feeds right under the helmet... that may lead to problems, though.

I'm really bummed about not being able to post pictures. I had a whole suit up, minus the undersuit details and paint. :'(

For some reason I am unable to post pictures. That stinks. So I guess for the time being we're stuck with just a text update.

I dedicated my afternoon and evening yesterday to the suit. I finished the undersuit construction, bought some horse-stall mats for the soles of the boots and installed them, prepped the boots for some finishing details before sealing and painting, painted the forearms, butt plate, and shins white to match the white chest piece and ab plate that were sealed with white leak- seal, and filled in the glaring canyon in my helmet cheek. I have the helmet about half-way shoe goo'd as well.

I have redone the damage in the chest, added some final details to the back and jetpacks, and am about to get some rubber tubing installed on the under suit, as well as velcro patches and snaps to help keep the armor in place.

I'm tempted to take a Camelback pouch and fit it inside the back, then make one of the chest tubes a drinking straw, since it feeds right under the helmet... that may lead to problems, though.

I'm really bummed about not being able to post pictures. I had a whole suit up, minus the undersuit details and paint. :'(
Dude get pics posted ASAP I cant wait to see them! Make it happen! Haha I knew you've been working hard the last couple of days case you've been a little quiet on your thread. Maybe try the pics in an hour or so. I like the camel back idea, I've been thinking about doing this myself actually cause I know I'll be thirsty in this thing! I can't wait to see how your boots turned out. The thick soles are a little noisy when walking but honestly I think it adds to the heavy armor walking tank effect. Haha I plan to wear my suit outside in the fall at a couple of local evens so there is always the potential for mud and gravel, I wanted a really tough boot personally.

Ok. Here we go. Photo dump, finally. Been super busy these past two days. My paint job is a little rough [read: terrible] and flat, since I haven't added any detail paint, highlights. Or black wash. Sheesh I have a lot left to do!

Seriously, though, they will someday make a tragedy movie about the time I had painting. I won't go through details because I can't be bothered, but imagine wind, dust, bugs, and TOPPLING PIECES! very frustrating. Also, I ran out of paint. Twice....

So without further adieu, photos!

Front: (sorry fans of the comic, Sean doesn't have his sunglasses! o_O:oops:)
20190523_225039.jpg

Back:
20190523_225249.jpg

Side:
20190523_225051.jpg

Stair well: (sideways is the only way I fit with those shoulders on! )
20190523_225123.jpg

The undersuit is as done as I can make it now, but the zipper has got some bubbly problem that I don't know how to fix.
20190523_225617.jpg

And for ExCeLLuR8's viewing pleasure, the boots!
20190523_225811.jpg

20190523_225820(0).jpg

But wait! There's more!!
If you look close enough you can see every piece of the suit, including gloves.

20190524_201430.jpg

Thanks ExCeLLuR8 for your efforts in figuring out paint, and TurboCharizard and others for letting me know about leak seal. These armor pieces are much more resilient than my Reach suit!
I'm excited to be done with this.

Attachments

• 20190523_225908.jpg
    20190523_225908.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 206
Dude all of this looks completely amazing. You sir have officially outdone yourself. Quality is absolutely amazing. Scaling is spot on perfect! So did you end up using a house paint? How did you apply it on? It looks great! Now all your detail paint will start begin! Boots look amazing, when you join the host shoe to the boot sole, I went pretty heavy with the goo, without making a mess of course. And also because air doesn't get in there the same as just applying inside armor, I let both boots sit for an entire week before actually even trying them on. I wanted to be sure the core of the shoe goo was entirely cured. Then I gave them a "test run". Haha this looks great man, I'm still baffled how quick this has come together and so well!!

This is how I painted the base- coat:
20190525_124744.jpg

Rented her from the good old home Depot

Screenshot_20190325-203515_Gallery.jpg

So this isn't the best reference photo, but it's the best one I've got. You'll notice (maybe, stupid picture) that the center of the chest where it's textured is the same as the majority of the undersuit.

So I took some scrap fabric and measured and glued it in place and trimmed it with an x-acto knife.
20190525_212926.jpg

Now all I need to do is finish the edges somehow.

20190525_214055.jpg

Also, the piece of resistance:
20190525_203413.jpg

I was unable to get out and about today, which was my goal, but if all goes well I'll have it done this next week and be out and about by next Saturday.

20190525_122437.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back