Sean Anwalt's Mk V build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foam can warp or lose shape depending on what is causing the deformity. A warp or lopsided prop can be caused by putting two parts together and not properly lining them up. You either end up with too much material or too little at the end. Then you try to jam the extra stuff in and cause a bulge or tug and pull to make ends meet causing the opposite side to pull and warping the shape.

EDIT: thats from experience. (y)

Lol I am hoping if there are any problems I can fix them pretty easily. I'll separate them then I get off work today. Which will be about 26 hours from now, if the day keeps dragging like this! *sarcasm*

Lol I am hoping if there are any problems I can fix then pretty easily. I'll separate them then I get off work today. Which will be about 26 hours from now, if the day keeps dragging like this! *sarcasm*

Oh God......Same all the way over here!!!! At work since 7am and it feels like 2 days........

Same here. Been up since 5:15am to start at 6:30.
Luckily there is only 1 hour and 45 min left in my day.

STARGATE! *woot woot*!

So, about taking the chest away from the backpack... I have some details to attend to inside the armour (installing nuclear power supply, rebreather system, etc...), and it will be easier to get access if the pieces are apart. But I don't want the thing to warp or something. Just wondering if that's going to be a problem; I've never worked in foam before.

*EDIT: FANGS, none of those posts served as an actual reference.... just saying.

My chest piece doesn't actually come apart, it's just something that I go into diver style and a costume handler plonks down overtop of me. Foam has enough flex to push my shoulders through and not damage anything so it works for me, I'm not the broadest of dudes when it comes to shoulder width but keeping a consistent scale of the suit I couldn't imagine it being too difficult for you to do the same. Sure it's a bit inconvenient if you're not rolling with a crew at conventions but it's an almost necessary evil with the wiring setup I have running throughout the suit.

*EDIT: FANGS, none of those posts served as an actual reference.... just saying.

Correct. If you'll notice I said I will provide said references in due course. Geesh.

Also, it could warp if you were to leave it in a hot car too long or jam it in to a too small space etc. but I think it will be just fine while you're working on it. As Dirtdives has mentioned, a little heat gun can fix most warping.

Correct. If you'll notice I said I will provide said references in due course. Geesh.

Also, it could warp if you were to leave it in a hot car too long or jam it in to a too small space etc. but I think it will be just fine while you're working on it. As Dirtdives has mentioned, a little heat gun can fix most warping.

Just be careful when heating it or else that paint might bubble up or peel off!

FANGS
*questions post*

probably trying to change our trains of thought to get us to forget about her references from earlier. Hmmmmmmm........

*questions some more*

Last edited:
Also see that sappy post where I thank you guys for being super awesome and helping everyone. Geesh. You gonna question everything I say today? Hmmmmm?

yes..........if you must know........need to check and see if that sappy post is true or your just blowing smoke up our backsides to get us more active......as if we weren't already. I'm just very distrustful these days. Job related issues seeping in. Sorry.

Job related issues seeping in. Sorry.

SpecificDopeyAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

I hear that!

I'd rather be foam smithing than hurry up and waiting.

yes..........if you must know........need to check and see if that sappy post is true or your just blowing smoke up our backsides to get us more active......as if we weren't already. I'm just very distrustful these days. Job related issues seeping in. Sorry.

Well....that's disappointing. Noted.

UPDATE:

Progress is slow (SO slow) but here is what I've got so far. I have added some detail foam to the top attachment points of the backpack and chest and installed posts/ holes to align them. I next need to purchase and install magnets, (but I can't afford that, yet. Stupid minimum wage jobs!) that will help align the parts.

I've also added detail foam to the problem areas that have been bothering me a lot.

I'm at the part of the project that makes me feel likeI'm not making any progress and I might as well give up, which usually means I'm half way. So there's that, I guess.

Now for pictures:
20180711_074045.jpg
20180711_074157.jpg
20180711_074015.jpg

20180711_074012.jpg

Also added little details to be filled in later:
20180711_074028.jpg

As always, comments are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back