Sean Anwalt's Mk V build

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by Sean Anwalt, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Yeah, that's what I plan on using. Gotta price them out and figure placement. Shouldn't be too hard.

Dirtdives likes this.
  2. Joffersmk2

Joffersmk2 Member

Loving the look of this build, also weirdly jealous of your two tone foam mats....mine are just dull grey.
    Paiganboi once linked me an awesome vid of using magnets in combo with Velcro that was really useful too, if I find it ill link it if you're interested.

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  3. Sean Anwalt

Joffersmk2 I am Interested. Been stewing about how to do that, and any help is always appreciated.

Dirtdives likes this.
  4. Joffersmk2

Joffersmk2 Member

PaiganBoi likes this.
  5. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Well-Known Member

To go with that vid, here is what I did with my Son's Mk VI.
    20180712_202814.jpg 20180712_202822.jpg 20180712_202839.jpg 20180712_202846.jpg 20180712_202856.jpg 20180712_202903.jpg

Dirtdives likes this.
  6. Sean Anwalt

Thanks PaiganBoi and Joffersmk2. Those pics and vid are super helpful!

Alright, that makes a lot of sense. Looked around yesterday and figured harbor freight magnets are cheapest. I'll probably pick some up after my next paycheck, if the mortgage doesn't steal all the money.

PaiganBoi, Does that hold on pretty well? Does it take a lot of effort to remove?

On another note, I am almost ready to start sealing the foam and was wondering if there was a way to harden the foam? Or is sealing it as good add it gets?

Dirtdives likes this.
  7. PaiganBoi

Depending on the size of the magnet it can be very strong and difficult to pull apart. If you want to 'weaken' the strength of the attraction it is a good idea to cover one of the magnets with 2mm craft foam.

Dirtdives likes this.
  8. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

I would suggest adding the craft foam regardless. It will act to hold the magnet in place better. W/o it, the magnets might pull off/out of the EVA. I've had that happen.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  9. PaiganBoi

Good point. I have had the same thing happen as well.
    So in summary : my advice is sound and Dirtdives advice adds more more value.

Dirtdives likes this.
  10. Sean Anwalt

Alright, sounds like I've got that planned out, then! Thanks, guys

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  11. Sean Anwalt

UPDATE:

while I'm waiting for untold treasures of wealth and resources so I can afford to purchase the necessary sealants for my chest armor, I have begun the tedious task of constructing the bicep. Not a lot of progress pictures, because there hasn't been a lot of progress, but here's one:
    20180719_072038.jpg

I feel that now I can authoritatively testify to the necessity of a very sharp knife. If your blade is dull it is very difficult to get such tiny detail.

There's a tutorial on here by EVAkura for how to build the bicep, which I enjoy quite a lot, but the patterns it uses and the pattern I'm using are totally different in most respects, so that's a little disappointing. But I did get this little detail tiny figured out, mostly. 20180719_072745.jpg
    It will look much better (I hope) once I've heat sealed and cemented it in place.

As always, tell me what you think!

12. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

I think you're a real stand up guy and are a valued member of the community. People should aspire to become more like you.

13. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

No.....I think I'll stay the way I am.........thanks. But I do agree w/ you TurboCharizard. Sean Anwalt is a stand up guy.........and he rhymes pretty good also....;)

14. Sean Anwalt

Fo shizzle.

Haha thanks, guys, for the morale boost. And Dirtdives, you rhyme really well also. I've been showing all my coworkers that thread and they think it's funny.

15. Sean Anwalt

UPDATE:
    Just a small update. Working on putting the shoulder together. I'm not super happy with this template (maybe I'm missing something, I dunno) but the outside pieces of the round center shoulder piece aren't working. They don't sit flush.
    20180720_074149.jpg
    BUT they're cemented together that way so until the earth passes away under fire they are joined.

The little center detail is a little disappointing, as well.
    20180720_074623.jpg 20180720_074627.jpg 20180720_074636.jpg
    I think my plan next is to get good ol' EVAkura's pattern and mimic his tutorial. If I can't salvage this shoulder piece, I'll do that for both. That'll make this shoulder great practice, I guess.

Tell me what you think!

16. Sean Anwalt

UPDATE:
    I have an opportunity today. The wife had a thing set up for some youth program something or other, and needed more adults. The way things worked out, i get to sit in a gymnasium and work on my suit. :D
    So here we go:
    Problem area on the side of the front. These little buggers were a pain before, they're a pain now, and I have a feeling they always will be. But I was able to touch it up a little bit. 20180721_094022.jpg

Got so caught up in the work that I forgot to take progress pics, which I'm normally very fastidious about.

Anyway, lots of work and sanding and finishing, and the front finally got sealed. Ended up using mod podge. It was more available than the other stuffs.

When I had applied a few coats, I primed the front of the chest! yay (much rejoicing)!
    20180721_123748.jpg
    That ding there in the corner looked a lot more filled before I actually primed it... grrr. I can still fill wth kwik seal on top of the paint, yes?
    20180721_123759.jpg

Besides a ding or two that didn't show up until recently, it's looking pretty good!

I'm also working on my shoulder, but am now confident that both shoulders will ultimately be done with the same files EVAkura used in his tutorials.

15322043677176454311035923908945.jpg

What do you guys think of this build so far?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  17. PaiganBoi

Use the dings to your advantage. Make them part of the weathering.

Dirtdives likes this.
  18. Sean Anwalt

Aaannd the backpack:

I am still working on this part, but am gonna post here anyway.
    20180721_174053.jpg 20180721_174104.jpg 20180721_174110.jpg
    You can see how I wasn't able to get everything with this coat of primer, and I didn't use my hanging rack as much as I should have ( I don't know why), but this is what I've got, and I submit it to the figurative wolves of criticism. I'd like to have some people tear into it with ideas of how to fix the seams and rough patches. Weathering is great, but there's only so far you can take it before it gets unrealistic. I know already what I'm going to do for the upper center part, but for the rest of it, something just isn't clicking, know what I mean?

Dirtdives likes this.
  19. PaiganBoi

Nothing exposes flaws better in a build than applying some primer. In my own experience, if the area is rough I would sand it down to smooth it out. If there are more noticeable gaps, rough up the area with some sanding and then add more filler. Once that's all sorted out more primer. If more flaws are found, rinse and repeat. Some other more advanced in skill members might have some better advice.

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  20. Begocer

Begocer Member

The detailing on the back looks awesome! Looks like the paper grill section held up good with the paint!

21. Sean Anwalt

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it. I plan on painting lt with metallic acrylics when the time comes.

Boy, you can say that again! I thought it looked pretty decent until that happened! But nevertheless, I shall continue on!

Starting the shoulders now. When you guys are scaling your bicep pieces, do you measure from top to bottom? I guess what I mean is my gigantic biceps ( :lol::lol:) don't fit in that first yellow piece I made at all, and now I have the "post- measured pattern cut out" sweats. I measured how the armor should fit, but am nervous that it might still be too small... well, guess we're about to find out!

Dirtdives likes this.
  22. Sean Anwalt

Small but exciting UPDATE!

Started the shoulders. Just cutting things out. Have to go back to work, so progress will return to its slow pace. But I took pictures, don't you worry. Lol

20180723_074619.jpg 20180723_074624.jpg

I took the liberty of heat sealing BEFORE I cut this little doohickey out. That should prevent shrinkage in the future. Stupid thing.

I only got a few of the parts cut out, the rest are waiting patiently for their turns.

20180723_074634.jpg

Tips, comments, or advice are always welcome!

Lieutenant Jaku and Dirtdives like this.
  23. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

I just started the same pieces......Piece #9 is too small in certain areas and too think in others on order to fit in to piece #16. A lot of trimming to do in order to fit it. Always dry fit and adjust pieces as you go...it will save you a ton of aggravation during construction. Also seeing cut marks on the beveled edges.....sand those down for a better fit. But overall, looking good.

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  24. Sean Anwalt

Well, I got a little over zealous and did a thing, and now I have to re-do part of the shoulder. BUT!!! I was given a kindly note:

So, since that's kind of part of the piece I had to redo, I did! Made my own template based off "number 16" in the tutorial, and think this should work just fine. 20180724_073856.jpg

This is how it turned out:

20180724_084758.jpg
    It fits MUCH better than the original.

And then i forgot to take progress pics. So, here's my finished product. A little tight on my arm, but whatever.

15324585624217277288422621474895.jpg

15324585909637923571326932803274.jpg

PaiganBoi and TurboCharizard like this.
  25. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Sr Member

Much more betterer Sean Anwalt!!!! But that little trap door on piece #10...is so posed to be outward not inward. This is from the detail construction thread by EVAkura.

SAM_1451_zps055b1621.jpg