1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

Sean Anwalt's Mk V build

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by Sean Anwalt, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Yeah, that's what I plan on using. Gotta price them out and figure placement. Shouldn't be too hard.

Dirtdives likes this.
  2. Joffersmk2

Joffersmk2

Loving the look of this build, also weirdly jealous of your two tone foam mats....mine are just dull grey.
    Paiganboi once linked me an awesome vid of using magnets in combo with Velcro that was really useful too, if I find it ill link it if you're interested.

Dirtdives and Sean Anwalt like this.
  3. Sean Anwalt

Joffersmk2 I am Interested. Been stewing about how to do that, and any help is always appreciated.

Dirtdives likes this.
  4. Joffersmk2

Joffersmk2

PaiganBoi likes this.
  5. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

To go with that vid, here is what I did with my Son's Mk VI.
    20180712_202814.jpg 20180712_202822.jpg 20180712_202839.jpg 20180712_202846.jpg 20180712_202856.jpg 20180712_202903.jpg

Dirtdives likes this.
  6. Sean Anwalt

Thanks PaiganBoi and Joffersmk2. Those pics and vid are super helpful!

Alright, that makes a lot of sense. Looked around yesterday and figured harbor freight magnets are cheapest. I'll probably pick some up after my next paycheck, if the mortgage doesn't steal all the money.

PaiganBoi, Does that hold on pretty well? Does it take a lot of effort to remove?

On another note, I am almost ready to start sealing the foam and was wondering if there was a way to harden the foam? Or is sealing it as good add it gets?

Dirtdives likes this.
  7. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Depending on the size of the magnet it can be very strong and difficult to pull apart. If you want to 'weaken' the strength of the attraction it is a good idea to cover one of the magnets with 2mm craft foam.

Dirtdives likes this.
  8. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

I would suggest adding the craft foam regardless. It will act to hold the magnet in place better. W/o it, the magnets might pull off/out of the EVA. I've had that happen.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  9. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

Good point. I have had the same thing happen as well.
    So in summary : my advice is sound and Dirtdives advice adds more more value.

Dirtdives likes this.
  10. Sean Anwalt

Alright, sounds like I've got that planned out, then! Thanks, guys

Dirtdives and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  11. Sean Anwalt

UPDATE:

while I'm waiting for untold treasures of wealth and resources so I can afford to purchase the necessary sealants for my chest armor, I have begun the tedious task of constructing the bicep. Not a lot of progress pictures, because there hasn't been a lot of progress, but here's one:
    20180719_072038.jpg

I feel that now I can authoritatively testify to the necessity of a very sharp knife. If your blade is dull it is very difficult to get such tiny detail.

There's a tutorial on here by EVAkura for how to build the bicep, which I enjoy quite a lot, but the patterns it uses and the pattern I'm using are totally different in most respects, so that's a little disappointing. But I did get this little detail tiny figured out, mostly. 20180719_072745.jpg
    It will look much better (I hope) once I've heat sealed and cemented it in place.

As always, tell me what you think!

12. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

I think you're a real stand up guy and are a valued member of the community. People should aspire to become more like you.

13. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

No.....I think I'll stay the way I am.........thanks. But I do agree w/ you TurboCharizard. Sean Anwalt is a stand up guy.........and he rhymes pretty good also....;)

14. Sean Anwalt

Fo shizzle.

Haha thanks, guys, for the morale boost. And Dirtdives, you rhyme really well also. I've been showing all my coworkers that thread and they think it's funny.

15. Sean Anwalt

UPDATE:
    Just a small update. Working on putting the shoulder together. I'm not super happy with this template (maybe I'm missing something, I dunno) but the outside pieces of the round center shoulder piece aren't working. They don't sit flush.
    20180720_074149.jpg
    BUT they're cemented together that way so until the earth passes away under fire they are joined.

The little center detail is a little disappointing, as well.
    20180720_074623.jpg 20180720_074627.jpg 20180720_074636.jpg
    I think my plan next is to get good ol' EVAkura's pattern and mimic his tutorial. If I can't salvage this shoulder piece, I'll do that for both. That'll make this shoulder great practice, I guess.

Tell me what you think!