Sean Anwalt's Mk V build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the paper grill section held up good with the paint!

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it. I plan on painting lt with metallic acrylics when the time comes.

Nothing exposes flaws better in a build than applying some primer.

Boy, you can say that again! I thought it looked pretty decent until that happened! But nevertheless, I shall continue on!

Starting the shoulders now. When you guys are scaling your bicep pieces, do you measure from top to bottom? I guess what I mean is my gigantic biceps ( :lol::lol:) don't fit in that first yellow piece I made at all, and now I have the "post- measured pattern cut out" sweats. I measured how the armor should fit, but am nervous that it might still be too small... well, guess we're about to find out!

Small but exciting UPDATE!

Started the shoulders. Just cutting things out. Have to go back to work, so progress will return to its slow pace. But I took pictures, don't you worry. Lol

20180723_074619.jpg
20180723_074624.jpg

I took the liberty of heat sealing BEFORE I cut this little doohickey out. That should prevent shrinkage in the future. Stupid thing.

I only got a few of the parts cut out, the rest are waiting patiently for their turns.

20180723_074634.jpg

Tips, comments, or advice are always welcome!

I just started the same pieces......Piece #9 is too small in certain areas and too think in others on order to fit in to piece #16. A lot of trimming to do in order to fit it. Always dry fit and adjust pieces as you go...it will save you a ton of aggravation during construction. Also seeing cut marks on the beveled edges.....sand those down for a better fit. But overall, looking good.

Well, I got a little over zealous and did a thing, and now I have to re-do part of the shoulder. BUT!!! I was given a kindly note:

Piece #9 is too small in certain areas and too think in others on order to fit in to piece #16. A lot of trimming to do in order to fit it.

So, since that's kind of part of the piece I had to redo, I did! Made my own template based off "number 16" in the tutorial, and think this should work just fine.
20180724_073856.jpg

This is how it turned out:

20180724_084758.jpg

It fits MUCH better than the original.

And then i forgot to take progress pics. So, here's my finished product. A little tight on my arm, but whatever.

15324585624217277288422621474895.jpg

15324585909637923571326932803274.jpg

Ok, double post and update and brainstorm. Calling all knowledgeable costumers! I am going to install le magnets! This is what I've done:

I've gotten these rare earth magnets, depressed then into those little foam puzzle pieces with contact cement, and covered them over with 2mm craft foam to prevent them pulling apart.
20180725_072749.jpg

I have four of them, and I have four 'corners' to deal with, two at the top and two at the bottom on the front AND back.

20180725_074030.jpg

20180725_074043.jpg

I needed to get four more magnets, I know, but I'm not rich so leave me alone haha.

My intention is one of two methods.

1: design the magnets to fit vertically and line up at the edge of the pieces to be joined,
or

2: design the silly things to sit horizontally and slide off each other instead of pull directly apart.

Which would provide the best results?

I see. So, do you think I should bare the magnets, then? I am just trying to prevent them pulling out of the costume, you know?

I see. So, do you think I should bare the magnets, then? I am just trying to prevent them pulling out of the costume, you know?
No, no. Stick with the covered magnets. If left bare, there is a higher chance of them being pulled out.
Just don't create too much of a barrier between them. If that happens they won't hold very well and the part being held together will pop open quite easily.

Ah, gotcha. Direct contact magnets it is, then. Thanks, PaiganBoi. When I get home from work I'll see if I have time to install the things, and I'll post pictures. Do you think if I am able to afford it, two magnets at each point, or just one for each corner?

Ah, gotcha. Direct contact magnets it is, then. Thanks, PaiganBoi. When I get home from work I'll see if I have time to install the things, and I'll post pictures. Do you think if I am able to afford it, two magnets at each point, or just one for each corner?
Depending on the size of the magnet and the area that is being held together one is usually enough. Especially is there is a more than one connection.points all together.
For my ODST chest rig I have 4 contact points two on each side. just because of the size of my magnets and it need to hold the Rig shut.
In the photo I went with two magnets left bare and two magnets covered to make sure the hold was strong but not too strong.
20180323_190615.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back