Sean Anwalt's Mk V build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving the look of this build, also weirdly jealous of your two tone foam mats....mine are just dull grey.
Paiganboi once linked me an awesome vid of using magnets in combo with Velcro that was really useful too, if I find it ill link it if you're interested.

To go with that vid, here is what I did with my Son's Mk VI.
20180712_202814.jpg 20180712_202822.jpg 20180712_202839.jpg 20180712_202846.jpg 20180712_202856.jpg 20180712_202903.jpg

Thanks PaiganBoi and Joffersmk2. Those pics and vid are super helpful!

Alright, that makes a lot of sense. Looked around yesterday and figured harbor freight magnets are cheapest. I'll probably pick some up after my next paycheck, if the mortgage doesn't steal all the money.

PaiganBoi, Does that hold on pretty well? Does it take a lot of effort to remove?

On another note, I am almost ready to start sealing the foam and was wondering if there was a way to harden the foam? Or is sealing it as good add it gets?

Thanks PaiganBoi and Joffersmk2. Those pics and vid are super helpful!

Alright, that makes a lot of sense. Looked around yesterday and figured harbor freight magnets are cheapest. I'll probably pick some up after my next paycheck, if the mortgage doesn't steal all the money.

PaiganBoi, Does that hold on pretty well? Does it take a lot of effort to remove?

On another note, I am almost ready to start sealing the foam and was wondering if there was a way to harden the foam? Or is sealing it as good add it gets?
Depending on the size of the magnet it can be very strong and difficult to pull apart. If you want to 'weaken' the strength of the attraction it is a good idea to cover one of the magnets with 2mm craft foam.

Depending on the size of the magnet it can be very strong and difficult to pull apart. If you want to 'weaken' the strength of the attraction it is a good idea to cover one of the magnets with 2mm craft foam.

I would suggest adding the craft foam regardless. It will act to hold the magnet in place better. W/o it, the magnets might pull off/out of the EVA. I've had that happen.

UPDATE:

while I'm waiting for untold treasures of wealth and resources so I can afford to purchase the necessary sealants for my chest armor, I have begun the tedious task of constructing the bicep. Not a lot of progress pictures, because there hasn't been a lot of progress, but here's one:
20180719_072038.jpg

I feel that now I can authoritatively testify to the necessity of a very sharp knife. If your blade is dull it is very difficult to get such tiny detail.

There's a tutorial on here by EVAkura for how to build the bicep, which I enjoy quite a lot, but the patterns it uses and the pattern I'm using are totally different in most respects, so that's a little disappointing. But I did get this little detail tiny figured out, mostly.
20180719_072745.jpg

It will look much better (I hope) once I've heat sealed and cemented it in place.

As always, tell me what you think!

No.....I think I'll stay the way I am.........thanks. But I do agree w/ you TurboCharizard. Sean Anwalt is a stand up guy.........and he rhymes pretty good also....;)

Fo shizzle.

Haha thanks, guys, for the morale boost. And Dirtdives, you rhyme really well also. I've been showing all my coworkers that thread and they think it's funny.

UPDATE:
Just a small update. Working on putting the shoulder together. I'm not super happy with this template (maybe I'm missing something, I dunno) but the outside pieces of the round center shoulder piece aren't working. They don't sit flush.
20180720_074149.jpg

BUT they're cemented together that way so until the earth passes away under fire they are joined.

The little center detail is a little disappointing, as well.
20180720_074623.jpg
20180720_074627.jpg
20180720_074636.jpg

I think my plan next is to get good ol' EVAkura's pattern and mimic his tutorial. If I can't salvage this shoulder piece, I'll do that for both. That'll make this shoulder great practice, I guess.

Tell me what you think!

UPDATE:
I have an opportunity today. The wife had a thing set up for some youth program something or other, and needed more adults. The way things worked out, i get to sit in a gymnasium and work on my suit. :D
So here we go:
Problem area on the side of the front. These little buggers were a pain before, they're a pain now, and I have a feeling they always will be. But I was able to touch it up a little bit.
20180721_094022.jpg

Got so caught up in the work that I forgot to take progress pics, which I'm normally very fastidious about.

Anyway, lots of work and sanding and finishing, and the front finally got sealed. Ended up using mod podge. It was more available than the other stuffs.

When I had applied a few coats, I primed the front of the chest! yay (much rejoicing)!
20180721_123748.jpg

That ding there in the corner looked a lot more filled before I actually primed it... grrr. I can still fill wth kwik seal on top of the paint, yes?
20180721_123759.jpg

Besides a ding or two that didn't show up until recently, it's looking pretty good!

I'm also working on my shoulder, but am now confident that both shoulders will ultimately be done with the same files EVAkura used in his tutorials.

15322043677176454311035923908945.jpg

What do you guys think of this build so far?

Last edited:
Aaannd the backpack:

I am still working on this part, but am gonna post here anyway.
20180721_174053.jpg
20180721_174104.jpg
20180721_174110.jpg

You can see how I wasn't able to get everything with this coat of primer, and I didn't use my hanging rack as much as I should have ( I don't know why), but this is what I've got, and I submit it to the figurative wolves of criticism. I'd like to have some people tear into it with ideas of how to fix the seams and rough patches. Weathering is great, but there's only so far you can take it before it gets unrealistic. I know already what I'm going to do for the upper center part, but for the rest of it, something just isn't clicking, know what I mean?

Nothing exposes flaws better in a build than applying some primer. In my own experience, if the area is rough I would sand it down to smooth it out. If there are more noticeable gaps, rough up the area with some sanding and then add more filler. Once that's all sorted out more primer. If more flaws are found, rinse and repeat. Some other more advanced in skill members might have some better advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back