Sean Anwalt's Mk V build

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a totorial out there, or a tip, or something, which states if you put the spray paint can in warm water for a little while, it will help the paint come out smoother.

Bolling water does not do this.

Especially if you leave it alone.

20181029_203024.jpg

There was nearly an explosion at the Sean Anwalt house hold. Cap burst off and about gave me a heart attack!

Ans the paint came out gloppy, too!

I went over the helmet with some 220 grit, and that fixed a lot of the problems. It took a long time and my lungs are probably full of paint dust despite my efforts, but oh well, it's smooth!

I'll post a picture of the helmet when I have visible progress to report.

Sorry I didnt check this post sooner, the first thing I would have told you was DO NOT TOUCH THAT! Compressed anything and heat do not mix regardless of how careful you are.

Glad everything was okay in the end. Btw as a very very late note: when working with foam you are going to TEAR through blades but a 6$ - 15$ investment in a good knife sharpener at your local hardware store goes a long way into extending the life of the blade by decades. Also if you have one, a little Dremel tool or even an electric dog nail trimmer with a sanding bit will make beveling and smoothing sections a breeze, just make sure to wear a face dust mask.

Lol a Starwars 405th regiment officer should know better than to do that. I'm just kidding, but maybe we can apply this to a prop frag grenade? :D

He dangled probably the best sci-fi the world has ever seen in front of a giant gluttonous money-monger who uses it to stuff its own pockets with cash without regard for quality or the actual star wars universe itself.

Here ya go everybody!

I went over the helmet with some 220 grit, and that fixed a lot of the problems. It took a long time and my lungs are probably full of paint dust despite my efforts, but oh well, it's smooth!

I'll post a picture of the helmet when I have visible progress to report.

I finally got a respirator and use it for smelly/dusty work. I'm never going back to not using one. It makes quite a difference and is worth the money just for the smell elimination alone. Plus you get to sound like Darth Vader.

Took some 320 grit to the helmet. It's SO SMOOTH! A few more rough places to smooth out, and I'll be ready for painting. Would have done it already, but didn't want TurboCharizard to tease me.

Got the visor cut to shape, I think a little trimming at the corners and it'll be ready to install.

Trying to figure out the paint scheme for the helmet. I'm sticking with O.D. green, but highlights and details I'm trying to iron down.

Pics:
20181104_055422.jpg 20181104_055355.jpg 20181104_055347.jpg

Last edited:
Took some 320 grit to the helmet. It's SO SMOOTH! A few more rough places to smooth out, and I'll be ready for painting. Would have done it already, but didn't want TurboCharizard to tease me.

Got the visor cut to shape, I think a little trimming at the corners and it'll be ready to install.

Trying to figure out the paint scheme for the helmet. I'm sticking with O.D. green, but highlights and details I'm trying to iron down.

Pics:
View attachment 261930 View attachment 261931 View attachment 261932

Me? Being sassy? :whistle:

It's looking awesome. I find that the Reach concept art has a bunch of awesome markings and details that didn't transfer over to the finished in game textures but make for a great point of jumping off and creating your own personalization. Unfortunately the only concept sketch I could find of the Mk. V helmet you're building is all one colour of olive drab so it's not too exciting but colour splashes are my jam.
images.jpg Reach_concept_HAZOP.jpg Rosenda_3.jpg

Schankerz has a pretty rad custom colour scheme for the Mk. V UA

Pics:
View attachment 261930 View attachment 261931 View attachment 261932

Yeah man OLIVE DRAB!!

But have a look at Tamiya modelling paint. They have Olive Drab 2!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back