so are we nerds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as Ssgt. Spratley and Lt. Col Francis has aaaalways told our corps "those who think your geeks, nerds, losers, or whatever usually say so because they aren't smart enough to realize that we make a difference [in norco] and we care about what we do!" and im sure that rings true for everyone, everywhere, no matter what

So wikipedia sais this:
Nerd is a term that refers to a person who avidly pursues intellectual activities, technical or scientific endeavors, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests, rather than engaging in more social or conventional activities. It often carries a derogatory connotation or stereotype. The nerd may be awkward, shy and unattractive.[1] Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.

lets have a look on this:
social activities
I can't tell only a few more social things than being an active part of this community, talking to people all over the world, no matter the country, the age or experience.

awkward, shy and unattractive
well... I only can talk for my self but except of shy I'm none of those. And shy... what the heck... most people are shy ;)

so... NO, I don't think I'm a nerd ;)

Nah man, we aren't nerds. We're just guys with a lot of free time on our hands :p Just goes to show you that we're fans of whatever we make and that we're not afraid to show the world what we can do. That's what i think, anyways...

We're just guys with a lot of free time on our hands :p
don't consider that for all of us ;D ... for instance: I'm just a guy ;) If I had the time I'd liked, that helmet of mine would have been finished three weeks ago ^^

aye it does in the sense that i wont be able to resin my armor until maybe spring, but i really like the snow and its good for filming cuz we have a good balance of urbanization and nature :)

yah that's true and i have never been in snow besides one time when it snowed in Wildomar, CA about 1 or 2 hours away from where i live and also where i live Wildomar :p it's kinda crazy for it to snow in a place where it doesen't ever snow :p

yah that's true and i have never been in snow besides one time when it snowed in Wildomar, CA about 1 or 2 hours away from where i live and also where i live Wildomar :p it's kinda crazy for it to snow in a place where it doesen't ever snow :p

haha, we get at least a foot and a half of snow every winter

Last edited by a moderator:
In reality, this is another form of art. Some people might see it as a waist of time, others might see it as an amzing talent. it just always depends on the person.

To me its really a hobby like anything else. I really enjoy creating things, whether its graphic art, or building something around the house. This is just a relaxing hobby that really lets me clear my head while making something of my own that not many people have.

I'm 24 and my parents give me crap for it. But being a full time student at Boise State, going on the GI bill allows me to have a little more free time than some people and I find making armor to be a good way to re-leave stress after a hard week of school. My parents still think I'm lazy, but I don't see how. This stuff takes a lot of hard work that you can look back on and say "yeah, I did that." and I think that is pretty special. Being a mechanical engineer student I can't help but think of what technology would be needed to make some of this stuff work as it does in these games and it's this way of thinking in our generation that will lead to new and spectacular leaps within the fields of science and engineering. So when we end up building the ships are suits to take us to other worlds to colonize and the press comes up and asks, "what gave you these revolutionary idea's?" We can go out in our garage, dust off a set of MJOLNIR battle armor and say, "The reason I'm hear today is... well... it's because of the Master Chief." So keep on truckin, that's why the 405th even exists, so we can have a community where we don't feel foolish about being "nerds".

im making halo mark vi armor and i tell people in my class then they say im a nerd with to much time on my hands and say tht im a loser and make fun of me. I say tht im cooler than them cuz i got halo armor not them and theyre just jealous, i know im a nerd idc wht others think only wht i think of myself.

y is tht aktaylorh. im 14 so it doesnt apply to me but if they can do it leave um alone cuz if they start now they could b better than u by the time there ur age, how ever old u are

well i was a nerd any way. me and my friend are having a competiton of "who is more lonely, sand and nerdy" and so far this stuff is giving me some SUPER points, but in a way, you have to be prety core to build this stuff, all the chemicals, the patience, id like to see the football team lead Jock try doing fibreglassing, hed probarbly run away to his mansion.

though if you are feeling abit dishartened at being called a nerd just look at al the REAL people in power. they are all nerds. the "cool" people are just pawns to the nerds who are at the top. the world revolves becasue nerds rule

Honestly... everyone has their own bit of nerd....

Personally for me, I have always been mechanically inclinated... and have 2 degrees in engineering and currently teach 3D graphics (among other things) at our local HS. For me, most of this stuff is a CHALLENGE... I love a good challenge and love learning new stuff. I love sharing what I learn... Heck I showed up in class the other day and showed off a simple model I did in Blender... my kids weren't impressed.... I showed them Pepakura (which noone had heard of)... and they just looked confused.... I pulled out my foam built MA5C Assualt Rifle.... and everyone was like H@LL YEAH! How did you do that.... It's taking something I like and enjoy and twisting it to make it a learning tool.... Now they want to see every piece I make.... but that's cool. And if only one kid tries it... cool... maybe he will enjoy it as much as I have....

Just my thoughts....

Cujo3131

If you want a conspiracy theorist's POV, the term nerd was coined by those we consider to be "they" (otherwise known as "the man" and sometimes "the government") to discourage creative and intelligent thought among the masses. Therefore, we should retaliate by being as creative and intelligent (nerdy) as possible.

I'd say a little bit nerdy, but who isnt these days?
Its showing imagination, ingenuity and creativity.
Plus, everyone i've showed stuff to (even girls) havent been able to resist picking them up and pretending to be in halo.
deep down, everyone thinks its cool.

Nerd... Geek... There's really no need to feel bad for anything. :) I'm a huge beer-geek and I spend way too much money on beer. If I get a great beer, I can almost feel my knees go weak just because of the excitement of trying something really, really good. I imagine it's the same thing for those who really love papercraft, "foamcraft" (lack of better words) or just beer. ;)

Isn't the point of being a nerd that you've actually found something in your life worth the time? It's a pity there aren't more of us. ;)

Just my two cents! :)

Lets see......I'm and Average in School....suck horribly at Accounts and Commerce......but I make armor.....so I am who I am.....AN AWESOME ARMOR MAKER !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back