so are we nerds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Though I just wanna point out that not everyone who hangs out with "cool" people are bad. I know a few people at my school, including one of my best friends, that hang out with these people, but are still really nice, not high or drunk at parties, or anything else like that. I agree with everything you said, I just wanted to point that out.

who gives a crap if they think we're nerds/geeks or w/e label they want to put on us. It's a hobby we like so we do what we want. There are plenty of others out there that do costuming like basically everyone inside a convention anime or not. we are sociable and we have "lives" and we come from all walks of life, we are united here under our hobby and interest in it.

btw I think we should all just get over what we have in our heads as nerds/geeks etc. that's just what the media and movies over time put in our heads. if we don't pay attention to it then its nothing really.

your parents are a little mean? btw this might want to get moved to 405th descussion (<-- hope its spelled right)

i don't really want to say that, my dad says that because he says that's why i sometimes get bad grades in school
@Rhinoc, they arent jerks, but yes this hobby is awesome

Yeah I have gotten blank stares when just talking about it.Who cares what they think.We enjoy it so frak them.

oh yah i forgot, all of my friends think that i am a retard for doing this, all of my friends besides Jspiker12, all of them said make me something very good and just maybe i won't make fun of you guys anymore, they all wanted me to mke an acr or a fallout 3 helmet, @Rhinoc, i guess you could call my friends jerks :p

I think of myself as all of the above. I am a well rounded individual, skill wise. I know a good deal of information on things from astrophysics all the way to auto mechanics and many things between. I consider myself a nerd mostly though, because all things associated with being a nerd is fun. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Truth is, I'm sure they like the armor and wish they had some, they just don't want to say so in front of their posse. :)

oh yah i forgot, all of my friends think that i am a retard for doing this, all of my friends besides Jspiker12, all of them said make me something very good and just maybe i won't make fun of you guys anymore, they all wanted me to mke an acr or a fallout 3 helmet, @Rhinoc, i guess you could call my friends jerks :p
same boat here brudda! 80% of my friends are Call of Duty crazy, they call halo "gaylo" and spartans "fartans" but they admire my ability and I have made some money from them for making and giving them stuff! I get really tired of hearing my game being dissed! Waddaya gonna do though? Oh well...

The cool thing though is that we know how to use tools and fiberglass and silicone rubber and all that jazz and they dont!!

ima nerd and im proud

everyone i know, knows it, i proclaim it, and im perfectly happy, as far as this conversation is concerned
maybe i dont get teased or ridiculed because of how i look, might be short but i LOOK built. that and i go to an art school so everyone is a nerd in their own respect.

biggest problem ive had is people stopping in awe that ive spent $250 plus on each suit :D

my friends thought it was a stupid idea but, then when i gave em some armor that i pepped but didnt need...they were WTFLOLCOPTER!!! (that is a great quote by teh way! :p)

Lol when I first showed the pics of my odst to my co-workers and I got paperdoll jokes till I hot further and now people are just impressed (keep in mind I work for the county so most everyone is older then 25) plus dude, to be honest if anyone gives you crap about this just show him some of the pics of the beautiful girls we have in the 405th with armor on.... what more could you say?

Lets see...
I play lacrosse
Take Krav Maga and MMA
Can bench more than my bodyweight
Have a life
Have a ton of friends
Working on the girlfriend part (Haha :p)
ect...

So, no, I wouldn't consider myself a nerd, just someone who likes awesome stuff.

Don't sweat it.. I'm 35.

Wife thinks its awesome. Showed a couple guys at work which turned into a "heard your making halo armor that's Awesome or that's Sick!" other words I heard was
" someone has to much free time" I say it's not the case of free time. It's rather than just sitting and watching TV i am building and watching TV..

Lets see...
I play lacrosse
Take Krav Maga and MMA
Can bench more than my bodyweight
Have a life
Have a ton of friends
Working on the girlfriend part (Haha :p)
ect...

So, no, I wouldn't consider myself a nerd, just someone who likes awesome stuff.

Dude, we're all nerds! I was an infantryman in the U.S. Army and am married but I'm a huge nerd.

Represent

Like so many things, it depends on what "nerd" means:

" ... Nerd – Supposedly the term was coined in the 1940s at the Renssellear Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York. It was meant to describe the opposite of a party person, a.k.a., a drunk. The opposite of a “drunk” is a “knurd”—pronounced “nerd.” ..." http://news.everestonline.edu/post/2009/07/common-computer-terms

With that said, I know the term has taken on many new components over the years, and I likely fit most of them :)

I'm a Senior at Bel Air High School. (no, not Will Smith Bel Air)
I wore my "We are ODST" trainee shirt to school on 9-13-10 (we had the 14th off :D)
I wear the <<BE A HERO>> Shirt regularly.
My locker is adorned with Halo decorations.
I got Halo: CE working on school computers (It was promptly banned after our class used up 95% of the county's Bandwidth playing in health class)
My senior crown was a blue and white MJOLNIR Mk. VI Helmet with adornments.
I lent my friend an ODST helmet for his senior crown.
You decide if I'm a nerd. You decide if I'm a Halo nerd.

I play Varsity tennis.
I'm in NHS
I have good college prospects.
I am captain of a team.
I'm part of a Youth Group.
I'm a Christian.
I play Guitar.
I paint.
I volunteer.
I go to "Rav35" (minus drugs)
I have a Life.

I have a lot of friends at school and I am not in any way isolated from other groups in school (Besides the ones I hate [tools, Drunkards, druggies, etc]) All I do is keep it clean and make it part of my personality, but not relate EVERYTHING to Halo. As a result of my senior crowns stunt I have a bunch of people lined up to buy Spartan helmets. I hreally have no true enemies, just people I tend to dislike, but tolerate.

All I'm saying (to everybody in school) is that you are what you are. "Nerd" or the quality thereof is no excuse to stop trying to make friends or be sociable. You will always face somebody in life who finds some reason to bully you (whether it's halo or not). Your task is to "keep on trying until you run out of cake" and just push on. Don't let them effect you. Don't let them get to you. Their actions DO NOT DIGNIFY ANY RESPONSE. Just shrug it off and continue being who you really are. If that makes you a nerd then that is who you are. Don't hate what you are.

I'm a Senior at Bel Air High School. (no, not Will Smith Bel Air)
I wore my "We are ODST" trainee shirt to school on 9-13-10 (we had the 14th off :D)
I wear the <<BE A HERO>> Shirt regularly.
My locker is adorned with Halo decorations.
I got Halo: CE working on school computers (It was promptly banned after our class used up 95% of the county's Bandwidth playing in health class)
My senior crown was a blue and white MJOLNIR Mk. VI Helmet with adornments.
I lent my friend an ODST helmet for his senior crown.
You decide if I'm a nerd. You decide if I'm a Halo nerd.

I play Varsity tennis.
I'm in NHS
I have good college prospects.
I am captain of a team.
I'm part of a Youth Group.
I'm a Christian.
I play Guitar.
I paint.
I volunteer.
I go to "Rav35" (minus drugs)
I have a Life.

I have a lot of friends at school and I am not in any way isolated from other groups in school (Besides the ones I hate [tools, Drunkards, druggies, etc]) All I do is keep it clean and make it part of my personality, but not relate EVERYTHING to Halo. As a result of my senior crowns stunt I have a bunch of people lined up to buy Spartan helmets. I hreally have no true enemies, just people I tend to dislike, but tolerate.

All I'm saying (to everybody in school) is that you are what you are. "Nerd" or the quality thereof is no excuse to stop trying to make friends or be sociable. You will always face somebody in life who finds some reason to bully you (whether it's halo or not). Your task is to "keep on trying until you run out of cake" and just push on. Don't let them effect you. Don't let them get to you. Their actions DO NOT DIGNIFY ANY RESPONSE. Just shrug it off and continue being who you really are. If that makes you a nerd then that is who you are. Don't hate what you are.

I know I'm a nerd when the Fresh Prince them song came rocketing in at light speed in my head when he said Bel Air High School.
Ah, the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back