SOMEBODY SPANK US!!! A spnkr WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCollector

RXO
405th Regiment Officer
SPNKR Build (Updated 8th feb 2011)

Lone and I have been busy working on a new toy and haven't quite figured out where to store it just yet. :rolleyes

At first

IMG_1940.jpg

Spnkr Take 1 (FAIL)

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

Take 1, was way too big and heavy . The basic set up felt like 10 kgs! So we decided to halt the project and get new pipes.

Tatooine moisture vaporator anyone?

IMG_1942.jpg

Spnkr take 2!

With new pipes we began the process again

What do you think?

IMG_1964.jpg

UPDATE!!

Here's how she's looking now. The main body has been put together. Still stuff to do but here's the gist of it

IMG_2072-1.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2075-1.jpg

IMG_2074-1.jpg

It still seems a bit large to me, but the proportions are definitely better. What size pipe are you using? Because "officially" the bore of the M41 is listed as 102mm.

I know what you mean. The dimensions really don't make sense. Pics of it with a spartan make it look large while pics of it with an odst make it look small. Officially it's listed at 136cms long.

This piece is 136cms long and the pipes are 4 inches in dia making them abt 10.16 cms which makes it more or less spot on. Can't trust all these given measurements!

Sad to hear that it's oversized. guess it's back to the drawing board. Updates next week!

After a bit of fiddling in forge, I reckon the scale that should make it look alright is 11/19*(your height). I just tried it on me and used a tape measure to see how big it would look if I were holding it (using the tape measure as the rl). Good luck, I really want to see an end product to this build (actually I'm kind of tempted to make my own now :)) Later, Squish.

it's a tad large, but i don't think it's large as everyone thinks it is. It's a rocket launcher from the future, for goodness sake :)

guys, pls take into account the fact that I'm pretty tiny. I'm 1.65m tall making me 5ft 4.

I've been looking at pics . In some pics with odsts its really smallish looking. Then with the chief its medium to large sized. then you see a pic with the chief and he's towering over the troops. Really makes you wonder what's what lol

This is just my personal opinion: when you take into account the scale issue, small person with a large rocket launcher, I don't think it looks that far out of range. Also look at what it is being built out of. I think the missile tubes, along with the front and rear housing look very well proportioned to one another. I say, keep going with what you have.

-Matt

I dont see the sizing problem :S Looks perfect to me, spot on! Looking forward for the finished product! Good luck.

If your measurements are right its fine. You have to remember you are not a spartan standing over 7 feet tall. You guys look rather short so thats not helping either. I saw someone else make one of these, it was also huge and heavy. Come on, its a rocket launcher, its not supposed to be small.

Looking good so far.

When I first seen this build I thought that the scaling was going to be spot on. Although it will be a great display prop I think even for a Spartan it is a little big. If you don't mind I am going to show some images of mine which seemed a little big. It is a pain in the butt to use while wearing armor....lol.

spnkr2.jpg

IMG00135-20100803-1615.jpg

holdlikethis.jpg

Ithica

Yours also weighs like 2 and a half tons Dave, although it is a work of art. Look oreads to seeing you guys do this.

They say third time's the charm.

Some updates from today. We're now working with 3 inch and 8 inch tubes.

IMG_1962.jpg
IMG_1979.jpg

We recut everything from scratch, and surprisingly its a lot harder to cut smaller circles than it is to cut big ones.

IMG_1977.jpg

We had to scrap quite a few as well, just because they were one or two milimetres too small for our tube! :(

IMG_1982.jpg

A sad circle that didn't pass our QC. :(

IMG_1990.jpg

We're keeping the same length of the Rocket Launcher, although we are reducing the bulk, because it would look odd if it was any shorter than it currently is.

IMG_1992.jpg

I expect Ghost will have more updates for you tomorrow. They're still working on it at the moment. :D

PS. I tried carrying the version 2 SPNKR. No freaking way I can balance it properly on my shoulder, let alone think about walking around in a con with it!

i like this idea, i'm glad to see your making it less bulky, as awesome as the first was it seemed a bit awkward keep up the awesome work i cant wait to see the results

Yeah, your standard marine in halo is 6 foot or somethin? and MC is 7 foot somethin, so a weapon built for a spartan makes the marines look tiny. Seriously, you ever seen a marine carry the launcher in H3? its longer than they are tall.

Update!

Well we started from scratch again and we chanced upon a nice business owner who gave us the new pipes we need for FREE!

These pics were taken approximately 2 days ago. We're now tidying her up and doing all the bondo work before the fun part. PAINTING!!

Guy's I really appreciate any graphics you guys could contribute so that we can get her painted up as accurately as possible. I'm hoping to have this spnkr finished by the end of the week.

It will be used by my ODST squad the 12th MEU The Devil's Own who are based in Singapore.

Now on to the pics. She's much lighter and much easier to wield though I will not say that it is easy lol

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

Enjoy the pics guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back