Props Spike Grenade Weta Style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nugget said:
What paint did you use? I like the bumpy effect it's got.
Hammered finish. Which equals best paint job ever. =]

And I will most certainly be in for one. After all, I'm pretty sue I was the one who suggested this beaut be the next project. O=]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nugget said:
What paint did you use? I like the bumpy effect it's got.
Looks like truck bed liner to me, actually. But that's because i've been looking through a few topics that used that and the texture looks really similar...

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Looks like truck bed liner to me, actually. But that's because i've been looking through a few topics that used that and the texture looks really similar...

The paint is just hammered finish like papamurf said, nothing special. It does leave a nice texture.
I will let you know when one is ready Papamurf.

Just a quick pic of the progress. Experimenting with casting them. I learned I hate roto casting and have come up with a different approach that I will discuss later. I will be in full swing on these soon. More pics to follow soon.

100_0660.jpg

Peter is right the head is two pieces.

Peter I tried to pm you, it said you couldn't get messages, are you full?

Peter Cooper said:
Um, those aren't two scales... those are the top and bottom... :D

Looking great mate - keep rocking!

hahahahhaha. Wow... It was late. :rolleyes

I have a small update and some pics. I am finally finishing up the first one I cast with my hybrid casting method. I also cut most of the blades out of aluminum.

Lets discuss my crazy casting of these. I tried roto casting and to be honest with you I just didn't like doing it and I couldn't get the results I wanted (probably my own fault). Either way I devised a way that worked for me. See the pics below to get an idea of what I am talking about.

th_102_0383.jpg th_102_0384.jpg th_102_0385.jpg th_102_0382.jpg

I am using plumbing tubing for the handle and most of the pieces are modified plumbing pieces. I figured why not use the cheap plumbing parts actually in the cast material? So I tried it and it is working for me. The way I did it the handle slips basically right into a plumbing coupling that has been encapsulated in the smooth on. It makes for a very strong connection and by putting a cap on one end it stays hollow, also decreasing the amount of urethane needed and also allowing me to not roto cast it. For the big part of the head I use 2 caps and a center pipe section to take up the space. It is a crazy method but it works for me. I couldn't seem to get the right consistency for the thickness, now there is no guessing.

I have to say the blade install will be a pain in the rear, (tedious). The holes are not cast in place but there are indents where you need to drill but its a lot of drilling. Then there will be epoxying them in place and I was thinking about filling the inside of it with foam to help keep all the blades in place.

Check out the look so far. These pics are with no paint (except primer on handle) and very little clean up done, so it is a work in progress. I cant decide if I should grind the blades like I do on my spikers to match or leave them. This one is probably going to a local guy that has a finished spiker from me so maybe I will ask him but what do you guys think?

th_102_0375.jpgth_102_0370.jpg th_102_0371.jpg th_102_0366.jpg th_102_0365.jpg

Thanks for lookin.

Wow, beautiful work.

Too bad metal blades aren't too big at cons, maybe do some plexi-glass with a steel wool brush effect and some nice silver paint over that for that purpose?

Or even send a few pieces of plastic out to get a chrome finish similar to Derkraken's Daft punk helm.

are you offering to be the testing apparatus????

I want to offer my services, lol. just make sure not to hit the face buddy!!!

Great job on the build smick!! Looks awesomes!

-Pony

Wtfmfkr said:
Wow, beautiful work.

Too bad metal blades aren't too big at cons, maybe do some plexi-glass with a steel wool brush effect and some nice silver paint over that for that purpose?

Or even send a few pieces of plastic out to get a chrome finish similar to Derkraken's Daft punk helm.

I have plastic blades in the works also. This is one that would be a more static display piece. The plastic is great for cons but I gotta do one with metal blades for myself and anyone that requests it. The diy kits will come with the plastic standard. I cant remember the type of sheet plastic I have but it semi rigid - pretty flexible stuff, it should work good. I think Dogwizard pointed me in that direction so I must thank him, thanks Dog. I will post pics with the plastic ones in as well, just need more time.

my friend used 2 newspaper rolls superglued together for a test of what it would be like,I jumped off my roof onto trampoline,then he threw it at me in mid-air.Then he attached some foam sheet to it for the spike effect and threw it up in the air and it hit a car,no damage.We then used pipes for the body then attached plastic blade construction to it,and threw it at a car,EPIC WIN,MAXIMUM DAMAGE done.The car had a massive scratch/dent on its side.

mjolnir follower said:
my friend used 2 newspaper rolls superglued together for a test of what it would be like,I jumped off my roof onto trampoline,then he threw it at me in mid-air.Then he attached some foam sheet to it for the spike effect and threw it up in the air and it hit a car,no damage.We then used pipes for the body then attached plastic blade construction to it,and threw it at a car,EPIC WIN,MAXIMUM DAMAGE done.The car had a massive scratch/dent on its side.

I don't think I will throw this at my car, but if you want to come over for vehicular target practice that's cool.

Nice job on that grenade. I suppose you could call that technique a type of "retained-core casting". :lol

I took a bunch of extra classes about metal casting when I was in school. :p

Well, I have my own car now, and the way I drive, it gets 42mpg highway, but I still don't think my parents would appreciate a drive over to IL just for a spike grenade :D

Finally an update. Here is one of my diy kits done up by me. Sorry about the crappy pics, its my phone camera. The colors are off from the flash but I will try to get better ones later or tomorrow. It has the same finish as my built up spikers basically. Thanks for looking guys. Peter I will get in touch..

th_1022091701a.jpg th_1022091659.jpg th_1022091701.jpgth_1022091702a.jpg th_1022091704a.jpg th_1022091704.jpg th_1022091703b.jpg th_1022091705.jpg th_1022091702b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back