Starting an Entire suit of armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just say it will collapse on you... Fiberglass turns the paper and resin into a solid piece of armor, without it, it's very flimsy. Now it has been done, without fiberglass. Nintendude did a suit without fiberglass. But he destroyed the boots and other parts took damage from just 1 convention. If you want the armor to last, you need it.

So should i put resin on, put the fiberglass cloth on, put resin on top of that, and then resin the outside?

then bondo/rondo the outside. and its easyer if u paint/9(cheap paint) first to help seal the paper some and stiffen it up for the resin stage

So should i put resin on, put the fiberglass cloth on, put resin on top of that, and then resin the outside?

Actually, resining the outside should come first. Doing so is pointless if you've already got the fibreglass on the inside.

ok then. i'll get on resining it soon enough. hopefully this wednesday the resining will begin. and what's the point of rondo/bondo? can't i jusst resin the inside and out and then sand it down to the shape i want, primer it, and spray it? i also made a cruddy elite assassinaiton blade that i'm gonna spray paint silver. sooo excited.

ok then. i'll get on resining it soon enough. hopefully this wednesday the resining will begin. and what's the point of rondo/bondo? can't i jusst resin the inside and out and then sand it down to the shape i want, primer it, and spray it? i also made a cruddy elite assassinaiton blade that i'm gonna spray paint silver. sooo excited.

Rondo sands easier than Bondo, which sands FAR easier than fiberglass. Plus, you're not digging into your pep work. You still keep the major details, and you can add more details with a few layers of Rondo.

due to all y'all's help, I'VE RESINED AND FIBERGLASSED MY HELMET AND PELVIS!!!! IT'S AMAZING!!! it fits with a tiny bit of room for foam pads, is extremely firm, and i sanded it down to be sort of smooth on top. but one thing, it smells horrible and there is little to no breathing when the visor is on. How do you guys make it so you can breath while still wearing it? i tried searching the forums but i wasn't sure what terminology to use in order to find a thread that pertained to my problem.

i just read something about PVC pipe, how can i add that to my helmet and still make it look normal? any ideas or pictures?

Let's just say it will collapse on you... Fiberglass turns the paper and resin into a solid piece of armor, without it, it's very flimsy. Now it has been done, without fiberglass. Nintendude did a suit without fiberglass. But he destroyed the boots and other parts took damage from just 1 convention. If you want the armor to last, you need it.

What about like, for weapons? I was all excited when I sealed up my AR and now it looks like I have to either rip it apart or start again to fibreglass it. Is it ok to not fibreglass weapons? Just resin the outside?

Like so many questions, the answer is "it depends".

Are you going to be handling the weapon a lot or is it just for display? For display MAYBE you don't need to re-enforce it at all. If you aren't going to be handling it a lot, then MAYBE just a coat or two of resin will be enough.

To make it very strong, there are several answers on how to do that once you've resin'd the prop to help it hold its' shape:
a. Cut it in half and fibreglass the inside. Re-attach the halves (using fibreglass, epoxy, super glue, etc);
b. Use auto-body filler (the most common brand is "Bondo" in North America) to cover the outside of the prop and sand smooth;
c. Drill a hole(s) in the prop and pour a mixture of auto body filler ("Bondo") and fibreglass resin into it. Slush it around to coat the entire piece from the inside. See Ben Streeper's helpful videos on Youtube about this method of "slush casting" with "Rondo" (which is also commonly used on helmets); and
d. Drill a hole in the prop and spray in an expanding foam product.

There are likely other things you can do.

Hi guys. This is somewhat on topic as it deals with armor this particular suit's accessories. Can someone please help me identify what type of ordanance it is Emile is wearing on his bandoliers? They look like some sort of manually deployed grenade. Stun? EMP? Smoke? Soda pop

I can't seem to get a good look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back