Stiilus' Old Weapon Builds (PIC HEAVY)

Status
Not open for further replies.
are u thinking bout to mold it later ? i think this will turn out amazing . :X

and im still looking for a gun :X

Im glad that u are back mate <3

i might do that if i get any better with the molding skills. i kinda suck at it now, but with practice, eh? being block assembled might actually help with molding it too :D

well i think a man with these skills in crafting such a nice prop will make the molding stage too ... i dont have experience too with molding and im looking forward to learn it ... but first of all i wanna start my iron man ;P

But as i said ... keep me informed ..i kinda missed u :X

well i think a man with these skills in crafting such a nice prop will make the molding stage too ... i dont have experience too with molding and im looking forward to learn it ... but first of all i wanna start my iron man ;P

But as i said ... keep me informed ..i kinda missed u :X

i hope so. i think mold making would be a good skill to have. i need to find a decent supplier here in australia to get pourable/brushable silicone rubber from to make some molds. i got the book thorssoli recommends alot throughout his thread, i just have to find the time to read it. i also have a blender for beginners book too, but progress on that has been pretty much the same as the mold making book...

So after a bit of sanding and priming followed by more sanding and priming I got the rifle to a stage where I was happy enough to start painting it. I started with the Metallic Charcoal that I had used in previous builds (plasma pistol, EVA Prototype and MkV Variant [I finally finished off the can, but I went and got another because I know that if I have used it on so many projects so far I will definitely use it again]) :) ...

PA291023.jpg

PA291025.jpg

PA291026.jpg

PA291027.jpg

When that was dried I masked off and sprayed on a coating of PPG's new hammertone colour Gunmetal. It sits tonally between their Hammertone Silver and Hammertone Charcoal (not to be confused with the Squirts Metallic Charcoal).

PA291015.jpg

Looking at some of the cut ins and routed details now I can't help but feel I rushed it a bit. The next time I make a larger weapon like this I will be sure to take my time and not work to such a tight deadline... :(

PA291016.jpg

PA291017.jpg

PA291018.jpg

The next colour I used was the same one I use for all my weathering, the Hammertone Silver. I used it on the top of the rifle as it's usually a lighter silver than the main bulk of the weapon...

PA291019.jpg

PA291020.jpg

PA291021.jpg

PA291022.jpg

And of course all the little bits that sit all over the weapon to finish it off...

PA291024.jpg

Next step: Weathering...

Back shortly folks...

So the weathering was just the standard basic fare that I run through. Flat black enamel rubbed into all nooks and crannies where dirt would build up over time...

When I first started doing the weathering on this piece I imagined who it would have belonged to. Seeing as I am not skilled enough electronically to build a digital ammo counter, I decided to just have a blue flashing counter reading "00" (empty). I wanted it to be a soldier who fought 'til their ammunition ran out and then still fought on.

At first I imagined the rifle belonging to an ODST, as that's the kind of soldier I imagine them to be like, but then I remembered a single lone marine who had traversed most of the hardest level I've ever done on Legendary in any Halo game, Staff Sergeant Marvin Mobuto. That's a link to the Halo wiki for those of you who don't know who I'm talking about. Seeing as today in Australia is Remembrance Day (another link for those interested) for all the Aussie Diggers who have fallen in combat, I figured I would pay homage to them and to Staff Sergeant Marvin Mobuto, who I see as the epitome of those soldiers in the Haloverse.

As such, I put just a little bit more wear and tear into the weathering effects this time around due the nature in which Marvin Mobuto died. There is more blackwash on it from the grime of fighting against the Flood and I weathered the grip a little bit more from where he would have held it so tightly...

PA301028-1.jpg

PA301029-1.jpg

PA301030.jpg

PA301031.jpg

PA301032.jpg

PA301033.jpg

I feel that the slight curve in the routed details aren't quite as noticeable now there is a contrasting colour in the crevices, which I would have thought would accentuate them even more. Luck wins out again :D ...

PA301036.jpg

Like I said, more weathering than I would normally do on the grip where Mobuto would have held on tightly...

PA301037.jpg

PA301038.jpg

Even the flashlight got a quick layer of weathering...

PA301039.jpg

PA301040.jpg

PA301034.jpg

Almost there...

I went back and added even more weathering to the grip after the first layer had dried to really accentuate how desperately Mobuto fought...

PA301035.jpg

PA301041.jpg

EXPLODED VIEW!!!! Awesomsauce!!!

PA301042.jpg

I'm thinking about doing an exploded view drawing for a T-shirt with the technical specs and all for this gun. It's just something I think would be pretty cool...

PA301043.jpg

PA311044.jpg

Don't even ask me what's going on in this picture, I have no idea... I mean I wired it up and all, and all the lights work properly, but I have no idea how I figured out what wire was meant to do what...

PA311045.jpg

Starting to look a bit tidier... At first I was going to house all the batteries in the small housing behind the forward grip and in front of the trigger, but then I thought "B!7ch, please. That's three batteries you're gonna fit in there?" I quickly changed my plans and decided to house them at the top of the butt of the gun, where it rests against my shoulder, just above the magazine house...

PA311046.jpg

How?! Why?! Some how I managed to fit all the superfluous wires back in through here. Again, don't ask me how...

PA311047.jpg

Trust me, these babies have other uses than just protecting you eyes... At $50.00 bucks a pop for a sheet 500x300mm I decided to just go for the next smallest piece of tinted acrylic I could find for the cover over the ammo counter...

PB011048.jpg

More pics after the jump...

Damn! That's really impressive! How did you make it?

I kinda rushed this one. I didn't take as many photo's of it as I would have liked to have done as I wanted to have it finished by the Australian release of Halo 4. I'm kicking my self stupid in a rather inappropriate place now for not taking as many photo's as I should have.

As for your question, the main bulk of it is MDF (craftboard) in the 6mm thickness with some 3mm thrown in for good measure. Strangely enough, I started this weapon with the magazine clip and the top of the gun, followed by the forward grip, then built the body of it to suit. The curves on the forward grip were done on a wood lathe, then sliced up the guts so I could lay the sides of the grip on. The majority of the piece is held with 5 minute Araldite (epoxy glue) as it dries very quickly so I don't have to stand around waiting for glue to dry. The flashlight is literally that (yay for the Reject Shop) wired up to a switch so I don't have to remove it to turn it on, and the barrel is a damaged bit of stainless steel tubing from work. That and a whole heap of wires... There's about 7 meters of wire in this baby... Crazy...

Taa Daa!!! :D One finished Assault Rifle...

PB011050.jpg

There is a matching green LED on the other side. These two alone are so bright that even without the flashlight I can see outside on a moonless night. Probably not so good on a real weapon though as it would give away your location...

PB011051.jpg

It was a real pain to get the wires fed up through the underbody with all the small reinforcers on the inside of this gun... A real pain...

PB011053.jpg

PB011056.jpg

PB011057.jpg

See, I told you there were other uses than just protecting your eyes...

PB011058.jpg

PB011059.jpg

PB011060.jpg

I could have put more details on here, and I really still could, but for now I'm happy enough with the way it's turned out...

PB011062.jpg

Next up, me goofing off... Back soon :D ...

i hope so. i think mold making would be a good skill to have. i need to find a decent supplier here in australia to get pourable/brushable silicone rubber from to make some molds.

Hey, nice to see another Aussie, and a QLDer! Have a look at barnes.com.au they've got pretty much everything. If you're near enough to Brisbane they've got a store there too. I love your work, just spent an hour or so reading through both of your threads. Keep it up :) that AR looks amaaazing!

Hey, nice to see another Aussie, and a QLDer! Have a look at barnes.com.au they've got pretty much everything. If you're near enough to Brisbane they've got a store there too. I love your work, just spent an hour or so reading through both of your threads. Keep it up :) that AR looks amaaazing!

Thanks Sara. Yeah, I don't see too many Aussies on here either. That being said, goboy3133 (the last other poster in here) is also Aussie, so go figure. It doesn't rain, it pours XD ...

Thanks for the tip on Barnes, I'll check it out :D . I'm close enough that I could probably drive over there, but then the freight wouldn't be too bad from there either. I contacted a shop in Melbourne a while ago that specialize in monster effects for movies, but they never got back to me... Oh well, they mustn't need my money...

As for reading both my threads and in doing so spending a hour in my company...?! I bet you feel just a little bit less sane now for having done so... I should know, I spend all day with me and I find the experience very exhausting :p ...

Once again, thanks for the tip with Barnes and thanks for swinging by...

One Spartan (except for his pooch), alone against the might of the Covanant...

PB011063.jpg

PB011065.jpg

I know it's weird to like photo's of yourself, but I really like this one. My co-worker saw it on Facebook and said I'm an idiot, but I think he's just lost that sense of wonder and awe and fun that makes life worth living. That and I think he's kinda a jerk... But enough of him, this thread is about fun stuff...

PB011066.jpg

I like that I can see my beard from under my helmet in this pic... I really should invest in a balaclava...

PB011067.jpg

"Reload This..."

PB011068.jpg

In all, from a guess, I would say this weapon weighs about 5-6Kgs. I'll actually weigh it one day just out of curiosity, but at this point I'm very happy I made it hollow. It would have weighed a tonne if it was solid like my M6b, that and I wouldn't have been able to wire it up...

Melee...

PB011069.jpg

Of course though, it could just be a musical Spartan getting in some wicked shreds on his assault rifle :D

PB011070.jpg

Don't mind me, I'm just wearing a helmet from a fictional video game and sporting a large wooden gun...

PB011071.jpg

FREEZE!!!

PB011072.jpg

Yeah, asking Isabella to freeze is like asking the sun not to come up tomorrow... Gotta love her anyway...

PB011073.jpg

"Be vwary vwary quiet... We're huntin' Covies..."

And so that's all folks. I need to make a stand to hold this sucker now, thinking I'll make something to house both this and my Samurai sword, but that can wait for a bit... Hopefully now the warmer months are here I can get back into my super top secret project... The cooler winter temps just played havoc with the resin this year, regardless of how much MEKP I added or how much heat I put on the surface... Anyway, more on that soon.

Keep on grooving groovers...

Dude I love the pics! Gun looks fantastic :)
There is nothing wrong with liking pics of yourself lol. Your probably right, your co-worker is lame lol
Great job bud

YOu have a buyer for that gun already if u are going to mold it ...
Dude i just have no words... never NEVER seen such epic builds... why the heck are u still in the noob forum? please move this guy !!!

Dude I love the pics! Gun looks fantastic :)
There is nothing wrong with liking pics of yourself lol. Your probably right, your co-worker is lame lol
Great job bud

thanks Mstruvmgc. i was feeling pretty crook there for a while, (ended up being something i wasn't looking forward til another 30 or so years, but all is good again) and just working on this helped take my mind off things. it has a few flaws that really stand out to me now, so i'm thinking that maybe next time i won't let the trivia's of life get me down quite as much while doing a build.

as for the co worker, lame doesn't begin to encompass it. however, "lame" is unfortunately the only word that i can use to describe him that doesn't involve expletives on some level.

and again enough of him. i'm glad you liked it, only problem now is, what weapon do i build next... originally all i wanted to build was this rifle and the MKVI helmet, everything else has been superfluous. fun and unexpected as well, but now i'm not really sure what to do, there's just too many to choose from :D ...

YOu have a buyer for that gun already if u are going to mold it ...
Dude i just have no words... never NEVER seen such epic builds... why the heck are u still in the noob forum? please move this guy !!!

lol... it'll probably be a while before i do get to mold something... complex anyway. right now all my molds are just basic ones. i did try out a small jacket mold of Fred's head, to see what i was like at doing complex stuff and just so i had something i can sit on my dashboard in my car. it's not too bad, but has a few small bubbles in it, so i need to work on that problem if i'm ever gonna make molds of my stuff to sell. i don't want to put half arsed casts out there. there's plenty of so called "garage kits" flooding the market that are riddled with bubbles and imperfections that i wouldn't want to be classed with them :p ...

as for being moved, well, i kinda like it in here. i don't feel professional enough to be moved yet anyway, and i like hanging out with the other up and comers... there's some great work being produced by the noobs of the 405th and i'm proud to be amongst them :D ...

Australia sucks for gun laws I was about to buy one from Shawn but I realized customs would of held it. Nice to see a fellow Australian on this site.
:)

Australia sucks for gun laws I was about to buy one from Shawn but I realized customs would of held it. Nice to see a fellow Australian on this site.
:)

australia has some real arsehats working in the govt. especially customs... it'll let the odd gun through for a real nut job, but for some reason it'll catch all the props for the hobbiest. go figure. in the long run it's just easier to make your own rather than import.

meanwhile, with the strict gun laws, we seem to be really lax with swords. i bought a sword a while a go, and the seller was all like "you need to do this, this and this and then fill in that form, send it to these guys, wait for the go ahead, then fill in this extra form and send it away to get a sword license. or you could just join your local RSL club" i was like "what?" why bother with all the extra crap if a $10 annual club fee is all it takes... mind you, it's probably best they don't know where i live due to all my wooden guns now :D ...

I am in QLD as well so pm me.
I am new but keen to start building

as a fellow QLD'r, welcome to the 405th. is there a particular build you would like to do or are you like me and just want to try building everything? right now i'm stuck for choice, there's just so much to choose from...

I wish I had your skills--hands down. Incredible!

it's just years of mucking about with tools is all... i wish i had more time to spend doing this stuff, so my progress is always going to be slower than the professionals. with time and patience i guess... oh, and a big welcome to you as well...

I know that there is a no parallel thread thing, but i didn't want to put this up in among my armour as it's a weapon. Sorry. please make an exception this time as i promise not to do it again.

So Here is my version of the Fist of Rukt. I know that there's already a low def version out there under the title "Ban Hammer", but i figured that i should probably cut my modelling teeth on something that most people should be able to recognize instantly. The unfold might take me some time to do, so please, bare with me. I'm currently in the process of looking for work after doing a huge interstate move, and doing lots of yard work, trying to get the house looking nice and all. Anyway, updates will probably be slow going until i have a proper internet connection too.

Rukt_zpsa51a058f.png

Hope you all like it :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back