Team Win Studios : Odst Progress Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Bradley said:
It's just a bit early in the build to move it there, although it is very deserving, and will likely be moved before too long.. no reason to make it awkward for everyone, nothing to argue over. I think everyone knows where this project is headed.

I'm really liking the color you have on that bicep piece. Would you guys mind sharing the brand/color?

I resined up a Rookie helmet this weekend... never thought about putting in a dowel to hang it while drying..

That's why you guys are called Team Win, isn't it? ;)

Great work everybody.

66439233.jpg

Nice work so far guys. I'm looking forward to seeing the suit's completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am truly sorry for posting this and this will be the last thing posted on this topic. If someone buys something and they paint it because they have great skill to paint it then they finsihed it. When you buy somehting that is nott painted you still bought a finished product. They went as far as they intended to and it is finshed. Lee sends his items out to be painted therefore his work is complete. This is in no offense to anyone at all as far as what we think goes into elite. As Sean stated this may be moved once more is done. The the requirements for elite have changed over time. Some of the things that went into elite a year ago may not be worthy to be there now. Detailed work has changed and more people are making the "older, harder" things easier and better. No offense but we have Mods for a reson. They determine what goes in and what does not. It is ok to state your opinion and if it is heard then it is and if not...well you stated your opinion ONCE. No need to drag on something you will not change. If you or anyone has an issue with the elite status please contact me via PM. Let's get this thread back on topic.

Todd, Jason and Erin....freaking great work. You are all busting your butts and it is showing. Getting closer and closer everyday. I look forward to talking with you all again soon.

Ithica

i vote this thread be removed from the noob forum and placed in the..... Pep and cardboard armor section :D

you guys are doing great work, and everything is looking very promising, i cant wait to see the finished Dutch helmet... you will probably finish before i even get to bondo'ing mine (damn new job :angry )

Ithica said:

*eyebrows raises*

ON TOPIC on the matter of ODST perms for SPARTAN armor - I'm working on some concept art pertaining to this idea. Once it's completed I'll throw it up for evaluation.

i leave you guys alone for ten minutes...

so we got a lot of work done today.

update6.jpg

update6-4.jpg

update6-3.jpg

update6-2.jpg

thats with a fresh coat of primer on. still have to sand it down, put the teardrops in the ear and do a teeny tiny bit of sanding on the front to straighten up that line. apart from that shes done. our rubber gets here tomorrow and we are going to mold asap.

we did some work with the belt today, also.

update6-5.jpg

update6-6.jpg

we fused the WETA belt with the in-game model from the newer huge ODST thread. its looking really nice so far.

thats cool maybe i should start an odst too since the new halo is coming out soon. check out [topic=19576]my MKVI[/topic] i have so far.

I like the belt idea. I think I may try something similar for my belts, though I'd want to leave off the extra bulge.

Dutch is looking good. Can't wait to see it painted, though that'll probably happen when I'm stuck off on a work trip without a computer. Dangit. Though with the pace you guys are going at, maybe it'll be done before? =D If not, oh well..something to look forward to for when I get back. ^^

I have a question, if you don't mind taking the time out from work to answer. :) Are you going to be making molds/casting your belt piece? If so, for something like the belt, which only has one side of detail that needs to show, can you just make a one-piece block mold? Most of the tutorials I see show those type of molds only being used on pieces with a flat back, but theoretically (in my crazy head) it seems like it could be set up for a curved back as well...just can't be solid, needs to be slush/roto-casted.

I'm new to mold-making, but I'm looking to it as a way to cut time on my own projects (really don't feel like pepping 3 pairs of shins...). I'm busy-busy-busy, so while I've been trying to find answers through google and search and the fun usual methods, I haven't been getting any lucky hits, so I figured I'd try bothering you guys my belt question.

I hope when I get around to working on a Dutch helm it comes out as nice (and as quickly!) as yours. Again, can't wait to see more updates.

Sean Bradley said:
I'm really liking the color you have on that bicep piece. Would you guys mind sharing the brand/color?

I resined up a Rookie helmet this weekend... never thought about putting in a dowel to hang it while drying..

Trooper0621 said:
I like the belt idea. I think I may try something similar for my belts, though I'd want to leave off the extra bulge.

I have a question, if you don't mind taking the time out from work to answer. :) Are you going to be making molds/casting your belt piece? If so, for something like the belt, which only has one side of detail that needs to show, can you just make a one-piece block mold? Most of the tutorials I see show those type of molds only being used on pieces with a flat back, but theoretically (in my crazy head) it seems like it could be set up for a curved back as well...just can't be solid, needs to be slush/roto-casted.

Sean: The paint is really nice, If you follow the Instructions on the can (one light coat followed by one wet coat) it comes out beautiful.

The Brand is the normal Rustoleum Metallic line, and the color is Black Night I believe

SRMetBknSpL.jpg

I'm just not 100% sure on the shade yet. I have my eye on a different kind of paint right now, I'll report back with what I find.

As for the dowel in the Rookie, If you use hot-Glue to hold it in you can use it like a handle for holding the helmet while you put the resin on the outside, then once the resin starts to cure and is no longer runny, you can hang dry it without fear of drips forming. Then just remove the dowel when it comes to resining the inside (the hot glue makes this part easy).

Trooper: I left the raised bulge on the belt piece with the intentions of cutting slits on each side of the casts so we could feed a strap through the two buckles on each side and then through the slits to hide the strap behind the main buckle detail.

sorry if that sounds confusing.... as far as the molding process for the belt goes, as far as I know, I think that is the way we will cast ours too, unless there is a better way that we find out soon... we'll keep you posted.

I hope the Molding rubber gets here today, If it does, I'm sure we will have some kind of update later on.

FTW,

-Techbot

Techbot said:
The Brand is the normal Rustoleum Metallic line, and the color is Black Night I believe

I'm just not 100% sure on the shade yet. I have my eye on a different kind of paint right now, I'll report back with what I find.

Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna check the color out. I did a quick survey of the brands and colors on the market , and I didn't see a gunmetal gray that I liked.

I've been using black night as well. it's a great color. I even painted my 12'' figure with it and with a little dry brushing it looks like really worn dark metal.

DreadMullet said:
i vote this thread be removed from the noob forum and placed in the..... Pep and cardboard armor section :D

you guys are doing great work, and everything is looking very promising, i cant wait to see the finished Dutch helmet... you will probably finish before i even get to bondo'ing mine (damn new job :angry )

hahaha thanks for the support :cool

P.S. So I guess I like the smiley face with the sunglasses on?

Just in case you were wondering.

Hey Guys,

We have a question that we want your input on.

We have not found any reference photos of Dutch that show the side or back of his helmet.

We know there is a wire of some kind coming out of the extra side attachment on the brim of the Helmet.

dutch-wire.jpg

Problem is, we can't see where it goes back in the helmet, I kind of think it looks like it goes back into the tear-drop shape on the ear pieces.

What do you guys think?????

It does go back into the tear drop pieces from what I can tell from videos on gametrailers.com.

Unfortunately I can't download the videos, but try to look up the footage showing the Dutch flashback sequence from E3. You can get a good side profile (and back shot) when he turns around to tell Mickey to hurry up after spotting a Wraith.

There's also a brief bit of his side when he's shouldering his spartan laser, but motion blur makes this a little harder to make out.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Here's a link to the video I'm referencing:

Update: HD version! Dutch's part starts about halfway through. You can see it definitely goes into the teardrop.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49976.html

[media]http://www.gametrailers.com/player/49976.html[/media]

Trooper0621 said:
You can get a good side profile (and back shot) when he turns around to tell Mickey to hurry up after spotting a Wraith.

You can see it definitely goes into the teardrop.

Thanks Trooper!

You are 100% right.

dutchwire2.jpg

Thanks for that info, I had just been looking at game stills and the Renders. I had completely forgotten about dutch being all up in the E3 vids.

Thanks again!

-Techbot

DISASTER STRIKES!!!

but Dutch is safe.

heres an interesting update. we received our rubber yesterday, but werent able to start molding until today. last night, right before we picked up our keys to go get some Krylon clear coat, my roommates celing collapsed...

IMG_0202-1.jpg

IMG_0205-1-1.jpg

everything got pushed back, and the work has slowed a little. plans are to finish up the rubber for the mold today. if time allows we will go ahead and add the fiberglass, but if not then that will be pushed back until tomorrow. for the first cast, im picking up the small trial-ish size allumalite plastic that the local Hobby Lobby has. and thats only because i want a cast in my hands ASAP. once its done a ton of stress will be relieved. from then on out we will be using smoothcast. ill post pics up of the fresh out of the mold cast and then of the painted up version. hopefully that update will be by the weekend.

FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back