The Xbox One. Opinions? Worth buying???

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT!

Microsoft has announced that they have "fixed" the used games and always online issue.

That means, the games you buy retain their value somewhat... and they can be sold as used if you get bored of Forza 5 after a week lol

Also, those without internet like those military guys and rural players will still get to play.

Still the problems they haven't addressed stand, being:

: The mandatory Kinect that we all HAVE to buy for 100 bucks (Dude that's almost two games if bought pre owned)
: Console is considered a low-end PC by the people who make the GPU. So you ask, how is this future proof?

I'm somewhat OK with the low processing power stuff since my 360 is still functional and although it is getting edgy now it doesn't bother me.

IF they could take down the mandatory Kinect and undercut the price by 100, I'm sticking to Xbox again. Although Sony has a lot to offer I'm just more familiar with the Xbox and it's titles. I know I'm acting like a fanboy, don't give me that. I don't want to lose my hard earned gamerscore.

So... What do you guys think now? I'm going to wait to see if they proceeded with their claims, and a price drop. Money isn't flowing out of my ass like Angry Joe said...

First of all, WE'RE BACK! YEEEEESSS

alrighty let's get down to it

So, Microsoft unveiled the Xbox One... And people arePISSED!

I don't think I'm getting it either, even though Halo is still an exclusive and I don't want to miss out, the new Xbox is really screwed up.

Why do I hate this new Xbox so much?

- They make you buy a Kinect, and still $500... 100 more than PS4

- Kinect WATCHES YOU ALL DAY

- Xbox is on all day, and has to be used once every 24 hours our else it turns into a brick

- No used games... A big deal for a high schooler like me who has to work for my games

- I DON'T OWN MY GAMES? Why must I give up my rights to ownership to play video games?

Seriously I think all this is a pretty big deal, especially the games. Before you buy your games and it's YOURS, I get to do what I want with what I paid money for! WTF IS THIS DRM BS? so after 8 years or so my games turn to nothing and my xbox a BRICK?

Maybe all this might be for the better, so there are less hackers and better gaming experience with the shays online stuff... Maybe the kinect makes life easier, and all this may be better than PS4... Bu
But did xbox explain themselves? All the fans cried out in rage and frustration, but what did Microsoft do? Nothing! Of course they didn't do anything, because with all the ignorant careless fan boys buying it, millions will be generated with all the fees adding up... But still you know something is fishy when a company like microsoft who makes interactive software not interact with their out crying customer base

So you can probably tell I'm not happy with this new Xbox. maybe even if I had money flowing out of my bottom I'm still not in for the Kinect... that watches your every move, and with our correct government it's hard to feel safe.

Did you guys know? Obama is collecting phone call data, drones watch us, why should my Xbox?

Sigh... It's hard to be calm when discussing this, and you might think I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist, you might think I'm butthurt... But come on, I feel a great sense of betrayal from Microsoft
I really liked the 360, I've been with M$ since the original xbox which I played yesterday. I won't be able to play offline with this new xbox will I?

So what do you think? Do you like these upgrades? Do you agree with Xbox owning everything?

I will say Sony definitely dominated E3, and buried Microsoft. The Xbox One will still sell some, because of the fanboys and players that still want to continue with Halo and other exclusives, but they're also going to lose A LOT of consumers as well. I don't think I'll be picking up an Xbox One, unfortunately.

On another note, FFXV and KHIII!

On the PS4 I can't wait to play Battlefield, Watch Dogs, and...

The DIVISION

Omg that game is my dream game. Oh how much I LOVE survival games...

Video games are all about living a fictional reality... And dudes... The Division... Scavenging and survival skills...

I want to play that game so bad

- They make you buy a Kinect, and still $500... 100 more than PS4

- Kinect WATCHES YOU ALL DAY

- Xbox is on all day, and has to be used once every 24 hours our else it turns into a brick

- No used games... A big deal for a high schooler like me who has to work for my games

- I DON'T OWN MY GAMES? Why must I give up my rights to ownership to play video games?

Although I am not happy about some of the thins Microsoft is doing I think you misunderstood some points.

-Kinect is included with all models and only works like the current one does, it is a voice and motion control system; it is against the law for it to 'monitor' you.

-The price point is a little high, but that is because Kinect is included, plus that it where some annalist placed it at

-You don't have to be online 24/7 it just requires a daily check-in, as they claim it is to constantly keep your games up-to-date and so you can have seamless transition from console to console

-Okay this one I am tired of hearing, No used Games? Wrong, as MS stated, you can buy and sell your used games, however it is up to 3rd party Publishers to add fees or restrictions to used games (Just like the PS4)

In-fact MS itself will not allow the blocking of used games:

Microsoft Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi stated in an interview they will continue to support used games and will not "give in" to the publishers that want to completely abolish it. he goes onto say
"Within that, we've tried to optimize, and I think we've found a great balance across all of those dimensions, but there are tradeoffs. We do want to support everyone in that system, beginning with the consumer. But we want publishers to get paid for the great IP they work on. We want retailers to be able to drive and sell our products and make a profit. So we are trying to balance across all those."
(Source)

Just to add to that, some of these policies are the same ones that PC games have had for years.

So again am I a little disgruntled as their policies? yes, but I feel that it was an inevitable development.

Feathers ruffled? Yes. Totally put off by it? Not quite. Now that some of the security rumors have been squashed, I'm a little more at ease. The price tag is the only thing making me cringe at the moment. I definitely plan on keeping up with my research before I take the plunge and spend all that money. My current motivation for even wanting one is Halo 5 in the first place. Nearly leapt out of my computer chair when I saw the teaser trailer.

You should refresh your talking points. Your depiction of the new XBOX is fallacious. Btw, if privacy was a concern for you, opting to buy the PS4 would be hypocritical of you considering the PS network was hacked a year ago and millions of people's accounts were potentially at risk. The Kinect system can't see through walls, just cover it up if you think the NSA is watching you. Watching you what, play games? Just don't go build any bombs in your living room. Everyone knows to do that in the basement. The XBOX One doesn't have to be on 24/7, it won't stop working if you unplug it, but the daily update is to ensure games that are designed to be continuous will be just that. There are features like having a "ghost" avatar play your games for you while you're out. Many games have ever-evolving worlds that constantly change, thus a daily update is needed. If you want a brick that just plays games, there will be a cheaper albeit less-capable version for the casual experience. I always buy both systems when they are released, as I did with the 360 and PS3. My PS3 has collected dust for the past 3 or 4 years because the developers Sony acquires really suck compared to some of Microsoft's exclusive developer licenses. Yes, Bungie will be releasing their new game on the PS4, but they don't make Halo anymore, so... We'll just have to wait and see. I'm excited about both, but I reserved my XBOX One first.

no its not, im geting the ps4 this round. i dont need to govt spying on me as i play my games. i'll just wait for halo 5 and maybe by them they have themself fixed

Ah yes zero, about the pc thing... Sure Steam has done with the DRM thing but they don't charge full price for a game, and don't milk the costumer with monthly/annual membership fees, which I bet Microsoft will do.

Even if you don't roll with Steam, once you buy a game and unlock it with a regkey, you still OWN the game, it's your choice whether you want to play it now or thirty years later. I don't think you can "sell" pc games but you still hold ownership rights to your copy, unlike xbox which might "disable" games after the network shuts down since the always online thing will kick in.

And about the used games... Sure it's up to the developers, but what if they deny trade? The problem still persists and Sony has won this over as well because they guarantee the ability to trade freely.

I just simply hate how M$ are dog things what with the huge pike of restrictions and money grabbing techniques of management unlike Sony who aim to keep consumers happy and respond to what we like, as opposed to Xbox telling us what is good and not

See the Kinect thing isn't a thing we can gloss over as well because government does illegal and unconstitutional things all the time but do they get flagged? I don't think they will because they are huge and they've realized that this you see their power trip adorning their interviews and policies.
I think things will go wrong with the Kinect. Like I said, the government is databasing our phone calls and text messages, emails, everything and is that legal? No! It's only " acceptable" because Bush pissed the Patriot act which allows government to do virtually anything in the name of fighting "terrorism". I hate to bring up government to xbox but we can't let possibilities fly. This is how s--- starts.

Meh, I love the Xbox 360, but I don't like the direction next gen gaming is going, I eventually may get a PS4, but I will not be getting an xbox 1, the only thing I feel I will really lose out on is Halo 5.

Damn it of course people will think I'm butthurt and too hot headed, over reacting.

sure, I can make life easier by just forking over the money and screaming I got Halo... But why? Look, Microsoft is trying to tip the market to their favor by slowly introducing restrictions and ****...

Guys! This is how things start! I'm not doing this to be a douche but I'm standing up for myself and the community who hate control freaks and money grabbers. Sure I can just roll over and enjoy iwhat expensive goods they have to offer but I will not give up how we do things I will not give up my rights

Ah yes zero, about the pc thing... Sure Steam has done with the DRM thing but they don't charge full price for a game, and don't milk the costumer with monthly/annual membership fees, which I bet Microsoft will do.

Even if you don't roll with Steam, once you buy a game and unlock it with a regkey, you still OWN the game, it's your choice whether you want to play it now or thirty years later. I don't think you can "sell" pc games but you still hold ownership rights to your copy, unlike xbox which might "disable" games after the network shuts down since the always online thing will kick in.

And about the used games... Sure it's up to the developers, but what if they deny trade? The problem still persists and Sony has won this over as well because they guarantee the ability to trade freely.

I just simply hate how M$ are dog things what with the huge pike of restrictions and money grabbing techniques of management unlike Sony who aim to keep consumers happy and respond to what we like, as opposed to Xbox telling us what is good and not

See the Kinect thing isn't a thing we can gloss over as well because government does illegal and unconstitutional things all the time but do they get flagged? I don't think they will because they are huge and they've realized that this you see their power trip adorning their interviews and policies.
I think things will go wrong with the Kinect. Like I said, the government is databasing our phone calls and text messages, emails, everything and is that legal? No! It's only " acceptable" because Bush pissed the Patriot act which allows government to do virtually anything in the name of fighting "terrorism". I hate to bring up government to xbox but we can't let possibilities fly. This is how s--- starts.

I like your argument on the matter and how you clarify the PC related thought everybody throws out incorrectly. Yes it is similar, but no annual fees, and you actually OWN the game, can play now, or 30 years later. I honestly feel that when the next-next gen consoles come out, they will wait a couple years, and then cut off the networks for the xbox 1 (probably by this time xbox 360 will have already been killed), causing all that stuff you "own" on the network to go away. They will probably implement some sort of transfer, but it will probably cost money to do.

All the negative and dark discussion aside, I'm happy to see all the responders here.

I opened up the thread this morning, and I've got attention already. No, not happy because people like me, but because I haven't seen this much activity in 405th for a long time.

this place used to be a barren place with little traffic, but now people are coming back, and I've seen people update their projects and works already... and that's how 405th should be.

So thank all of you who haven't left the community because of technical problems. I hope to see more of you guys return

Truly, I think this is a question that only time will answer. While Sony definitely did an amazing job marketing and showing off the new PS4 at E3, but I think its important to note MS had unveiled Xbox 1 a few weeks before and was using E3 to promote the games and not the Xbox platform itself. It would seem for virtually any argument for either console or company there can be a counter argument against it. Microsoft was definitely not the fan favorite this year, but policies and ideas change, and if its a case of money, the place where I potentially see the most and really only loss and aggravation for Xbox owners is this DRM thing nixing games that MS self-deems obsolete. Like I said to start with, only time will tell, but I personally find it slightly presumptuous to begin bashing either product when neither one has even hit the shelves.

As far as the Kinect thing goes though, I simply think this is paranoia to the extreme. Seriously I'm not trying to say the Government is all good and that I would trust it blindly, but really? You honestly expect some bored NSA tech to spend his day looking through your Kinect's camera and spying on you, not to mention the other of what will more than likely be millions of gamers? I hate to sound crass, but get a grip. Anyways that's my 2 cents but Ill more than likely get both products either way.

Truly, I think this is a question that only time will answer.

Yes, definitely true. What I'm saying for the most part is that MS screwed up on the presentation, and they haven't taken the fans seriously, and I hate them for that. It seriously feels like they completely disregarded the gaming community (hardcore) and are aiming for the every day non-caring people.

Now... KINECT. Right. In your eyes, I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist who wears a tin foil hat so the aliens don't get me.
There is a difference between a well informed history lover/ constitution lover and tin-man.

Have you seen the news recently Kingair? Where have you been? There are databases all over the country databasing our moves. Also, the government bought what was it... 2 BILLION bullets and paper targets with mothers holding their children, grandfathers with shotguns? The government admitted to this man! Call me crazy, but I say I'm well informed.

I know, isn't it hard to believe? Go look at the news. No, not FOX or any of those, go to internet news sources, unbiased committed reporters out there, sharing valuable and dangerous information with us. I don't even go anywhere far outside from Youtube to be honest but there are some down-to-earth truth seekers out there. Before I go even farther off the edge for you, let me just say... Not paranoid, well informed.

Yes, definitely true. What I'm saying for the most part is that MS screwed up on the presentation, and they haven't taken the fans seriously, and I hate them for that. It seriously feels like they completely disregarded the gaming community (hardcore) and are aiming for the every day non-caring people.

Now... KINECT. Right. In your eyes, I'm a crazy conspiracy theorist who wears a tin foil hat so the aliens don't get me.
There is a difference between a well informed history lover/ constitution lover and tin-man.

Have you seen the news recently Kingair? Where have you been? There are databases all over the country databasing our moves. Also, the government bought what was it... 2 BILLION bullets and paper targets with mothers holding their children, grandfathers with shotguns? The government admitted to this man! Call me crazy, but I say I'm well informed.

I know, isn't it hard to believe? Go look at the news. No, not FOX or any of those, go to internet news sources, unbiased committed reporters out there, sharing valuable and dangerous information with us. I don't even go anywhere far outside from Youtube to be honest but there are some down-to-earth truth seekers out there. Before I go even farther off the edge for you, let me just say... Not paranoid, well informed.

I have watched the news recently, and no I hate Fox. You have a valid point, Ill admit to that. And no, Im not trying to accuse anyone of being a tin man, sorry for ruffling feathers. Like I said in the above post, I dont believe that the government is all good, nor do I truly trust them, far from it. But i guess I wasnt truly clear on my point, Ill take blame for that, I was trying to refer that if your only reason for not wanting an Xbox 1 was purely for the Government spying that seemed to be associated with it, then I didnt truly see that as reason enough not to buy the console. Once again, Im not trying to make anyone out as a conspiracy theorist ( Although I do enjoy the occasional Dooms Day Preppers Epsiode) or insinuate that people arent aware of the world around them, merely trying to state my opinion.

(first, it's so amazing to see this dull grey forum back online :D )

"That escalated quickly" (where is that pic when I need it?)

I won't be buying a XO, nor will I probably be buying a PS4 (price, I'm not made of money, and batman arkham origins will be for the ps3 ;) ), but if I had the money to blow, it would be on the PS4. I don't believe that games should be online all the time, yes, being online all of the time leads to having more fun (I have PS Plus and I've met a few players that kick it at battlefield 3 and have fun with them almost every other time I get on, so I can see where XO is going)...

But with Microsoft's attitude, I really can't support jerks. Yahoo! News just reported that Microsoft just said to everyone if they don't have internet to buy a 360, to be honest, call me spiteful, but I think just for an exec to say that, they need to be boycotted. PS4 is looking like the better system, but it's pretty sad to say that because we aren't getting anything other than better graphics for the system (that I know of), and we will have to pay PS Plus fees to play online, but if they continue the free game every month then WTF not? I mean, the last two months of free games for PS3 were Sleeping Dogs (meh, if you like Asian Gangsters...) and Deus EX, I would never buy the game itself, but was extremely happy that they put it online. What has Xbox given?.... Nothing. Can't even watch Netflix without gold! :p

I'm just saying. Buy what you want, and be happy with what you buy, or you are wasting your money, there isn't any realistic reason to hate on someone for preferring one thing (that is nearly the same effing thing) to another.

Stay classy ;)

-Seth

I am far more likely to purchase the XBone then EVER giving my money to Sony for a game system ever again. The PS2 burned a lot of people and Sony denied and covered up the massive problems that system had. This is coming from a guy who worked at a national game store chain and I had to deal with furious customers and a manufacturer that was anything but helpful; in fact, they did everything in their power to hinder, not help.

I have zero interest in Kinect, but since I am forced to get it with the new system, I suppose I can just put a nice little sound proofed black box over the stupid thing. And yes, it is illegal for Microsoft, or Sony to collect data on you without your express permission and full knowledge (be sure to read your Terms of Agreement, btw), but the Government isn't hindered by these types of laws that protect the individuals' freedoms. It has nothing to do with building bombs in your home, as one ignorant Kool-Aid drinker stated. It is all about personal freedoms and your God given Rights, so please spare me the "conspiracy nut" garbage. Wake up and look around you, kiddies.

Anyhow... As for Halo 5... Meh.
I'm getting burned out on the Master Chief again. I think they need to do another ODST and then perhaps something involving "Crimson Squad" from the Spartan Ops. It's a huge war and I'd love to see it from all angles,not just MC's. Although, I really want to see Cortana back, so....

Also...My impressions from the teaser/trailer thing...
Why does a guy in full, environmentally sealed armor NEED a cloak for?
What the hell is the giant mechanical bird thing?
Why are we not fighting the Covenant? I get that we beat the Diadict (or however it's spelled), but surely there are Covvies still pissed at us.
And please... seriously.... Enough with the short things that swarm me. (Flood bugs, Crawlers, etc)

My two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back