Thoughts On Infinite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm in no way caught up on anything Lore related in the Halo Universe....I'm genuinely curious, what has happened to allow for Cortana to NOT be part of the next game installment? Again, I'm in no way trying to stir up the hornets nest, I sincerely want to know.

Thanks in advance!
-Matt

My theory (as recently seen in the discord) is that Cortana may or may not be alive depending on your own philosophical beliefs. I believe that many versions of Cortana exist and have survived one way or another via the various personality splinters (or alt flash clones as stated by Ashuraa), however this doesn't necessarily mean Cortana has survived, only some version of her has. If you believe that the brain is the source of thought/personality (which is relatively common) then to understand whether the Cortana we know is alive or not I propose this argument I've borrowed from metaphysics.

Suppose there's a brainless clone of your body, and half of your brain is transplanted in it (doesn't matter which half). Additionally, let's call yourself before the operation Person A, the body with the left half of the brain after the procedure Person B, and the body with the right half of the brain after the procedure Person C, so that we have 1 original Person A and two new people Person B and C. The question we now have, is if Person A survives through the existance of Person(s) B/C. There are 4 possible scenarios

1. Person A is not identical to person B or C
2. Person A is identical to B but not C
3. Person A is identical to C but not B
4. Person A is identical to both B and C

If we assume that this thought experiment is similar to Cortana's personality splinters, then we can either conclude that Cortana as we knew her is either alive or dead depending on our answer to the above question.

This is an overview on my thoughts about Cortana's survival going into Infinite.

If we are to say that 1 is true, then she is already dead.
If we are to say that either 2 or 3 are true, then she may be alive via the personality splinter that ran the story in Halo 5 (as she would be identical to that splinter) or she is identical to some other splinter not shown in Halo 5 (to my knowledge) and is either alive or dead depending on the status of that other splinter.
If 4 is true, then she is alive and there may now be more than 1 equally valid Cortana's in the Universe.

I thought the blue ambient at the last part of deliver hope would give a small bit of info that she still exists :unsure:.

Either way , using Random's theory and a little bit of probability, i guess we could conclude something ,

So we have 4 settings from the theory :

There are three persons in this settings so let's turn each one to fractions, numerator being an equivalent clone and denominator being the non-equivalent clone :
1. ( 1/3 ), 2. ( 2/3 ), 3. ( 2/3 ), 4. ( 3/3 )

Now we multiply them all to get the possibility that she exists to get roughly 4/27. By that means, there is only a 4/27 chance that the full, actual Cortana may be still alive, but this has already accounted the depleted person A , presumed alive in calculations, which we can relate to cortana in halo 4 when she supposedly 'died' because most of her is 'down there'.

Tho if we took that into consideration with the same math , it may have looked like none of the existant cortanas exist at this point.

Another thing , accounting rampancy, if she did duplicate to rid of the rampant parts, does that mean that the *actual* duplicates will also have a lifespan of 7 years ( possible cortana vs cortana fight tho it sounds a lil exaggerating? ) , it may be a clear indication that she exists but if not , there will only be one cortana , the one seen in halo 5 .

Tho if we relate to how Dr.Halsey talk about how AI's die ( basically ), does that also meant that the cortana seen in Halo 4 actually died and the one seen in halo 5 was an exact / non exact copy ??? ( sounds like exact since she remembers her time with chief )

My theory (as recently seen in the discord) is that Cortana may or may not be alive depending on your own philosophical beliefs. I believe that many versions of Cortana exist and have survived one way or another via the various personality splinters (or alt flash clones as stated by Ashuraa), however this doesn't necessarily mean Cortana has survived, only some version of her has. If you believe that the brain is the source of thought/personality (which is relatively common) then to understand whether the Cortana we know is alive or not I propose this argument I've borrowed from metaphysics.

Suppose there's a brainless clone of your body, and half of your brain is transplanted in it (doesn't matter which half). Additionally, let's call yourself before the operation Person A, the body with the left half of the brain after the procedure Person B, and the body with the right half of the brain after the procedure Person C, so that we have 1 original Person A and two new people Person B and C. The question we now have, is if Person A survives through the existance of Person(s) B/C. There are 4 possible scenarios

If we assume that this thought experiment is similar to Cortana's personality splinters, then we can either conclude that Cortana as we knew her is either alive or dead depending on our answer to the above question.

This is an overview on my thoughts about Cortana's survival going into Infinite.

If we are to say that 1 is true, then she is already dead.
If we are to say that either 2 or 3 are true, then she may be alive via the personality splinter that ran the story in Halo 5 (as she would be identical to that splinter) or she is identical to some other splinter not shown in Halo 5 (to my knowledge) and is either alive or dead depending on the status of that other splinter.
If 4 is true, then she is alive and there may now be more than 1 equally valid Cortana's in the Universe.
I thought the blue ambient at the last part of deliver hope would give a small bit of info that she still exists :unsure:.

Either way , using Random's theory and a little bit of probability, i guess we could conclude something ,

So we have 4 settings from the theory :

There are three persons in this settings so let's turn each one to fractions, numerator being an equivalent clone and denominator being the non-equivalent clone :
1. ( 1/3 ), 2. ( 2/3 ), 3. ( 2/3 ), 4. ( 3/3 )

Now we multiply them all to get the possibility that she exists to get roughly 4/27. By that means, there is only a 4/27 chance that the full, actual Cortana may be still alive, but this has already accounted the depleted person A , presumed alive in calculations, which we can relate to cortana in halo 4 when she supposedly 'died' because most of her is 'down there'.

Tho if we took that into consideration with the same math , it may have looked like none of the existant cortanas exist at this point.

Another thing , accounting rampancy, if she did duplicate to rid of the rampant parts, does that mean that the *actual* duplicates will also have a lifespan of 7 years ( possible cortana vs cortana fight tho it sounds a lil exaggerating? ) , it may be a clear indication that she exists but if not , there will only be one cortana , the one seen in halo 5 .

Tho if we relate to how Dr.Halsey talk about how AI's die ( basically ), does that also meant that the cortana seen in Halo 4 actually died and the one seen in halo 5 was an exact / non exact copy ??? ( sounds like exact since she remembers her time with chief )

... It's way too early for this.

Halo-Morning-Coffee.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back