UA-HUL Pep Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had noticed that there really aren't any 3d models for Halo Reach helmet attachments, apart from Carpathia's Carter attachment. Sooo.... I decided to model the UA-HUL permutation. I haven't purchased Pepakura Designer so I wasn't able to offer an unfolded model for everyone, so if you have Pep Designer 3 and feel like providing an unfolded model for all of us to download, just message me and we can work it out.

Here is the link for UA-HUL v. 1.2: UA-HUL 1.2.stl

I may continue to modify this model if I have more time to work seriously on the original file.
FYI this is technically my beta for this file, and I don't think it's very pep friendly. However, I will be pepping this in a few days to see what the results are. In the model, the "wire" running from the light mod to the base of the HUL hasn't been checked for a perfect fit...yet. Also, I may fix some of the angles and clean up the file to be more efficient during pepping.

As a last note, I had to put this into the noob forum, even though I believe it belongs in the 3d Modeling forum. I didn't meet the site's requirements to post in that forum, so maybe if a moderator could move it or something I would be eternally grateful.

The model looks great but you are correct, it is not very pep friendly at all. I think the main reason why is that the original model is too big and too detailed. When you scale it down to .75 in Pepakura Designer, which is what I eyeballed would be a proper size, it has lots of tiny sliver tabs.

If you do work on it more, you should scale it down and then simplify all the edges that pretty much disappear when you make it smaller. This should lead to a better pep.

The model looks great but you are correct, it is not very pep friendly at all. I think the main reason why is that the original model is too big and too detailed. When you scale it down to .75 in Pepakura Designer, which is what I eyeballed would be a proper size, it has lots of tiny sliver tabs.

If you do work on it more, you should scale it down and then simplify all the edges that pretty much disappear when you make it smaller. This should lead to a better pep.
I am 100% aware of all the little choppy parts in the model, and I'll fix it soon. I was getting used to Autodesk Inventor again, cause I haven't used it since my autocad class freshman year. For length at the scale of 1, I had looked at Carpathia's Carter attachment model, and his was 152. I took a few reference pictures and scaled it so the length would be around that(148 to be exact), so I think depending on the type of helmet, it should be fairly close to scale. I'll definitely be working on this soon, so people don't have to cut out little stupid pieces like the crown that magically appeared near the top of the back of the model.

Edit: @Rhinoc - I had to make the file an STL because it was the only one that was compatible with both Pepakura Designer and Autodesk Inventor. I just experimented a little, and I may know why your file isn't opening. When you originally open the file in Pep Designer, an STL Import Option box comes up with 3 options; Binary, ASCII, and Auto Detection. Mine opened fine on the Auto Detection, but I was also able to open it in ASCII, but not regular binary. Hope this helps!

tried, keep getting an error that reads "this file is invalid for using the following: Certificate trust license"

I took some pictures for those who are having problems opening the stl file :

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Sorry about the green line in the 3rd picture, I didn't notice my mouse overtop of the model.
Untitled2.jpg

Currently I'm downloading MeshLab; Supposedly it can convert all raw 3d files e.g. stl, obj, 3ds, and more...
So if that works I'll definitely make an obj file for you, Rhinoc.

Edit: Here is the OBJ file - UA-HUL 1.2.obj

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

That is AMAZING sir! If you want when you do get an OBJ for it I could unfold it for you!

I think I'm going to edit it for a while tonight after I get bored of pepping other pieces, so it won't be as messed up. Also, I think I want to print out a page of my model to see if the wire fits properly on the model, and where it should be if not.

I pepped out my UA-HUL version 1.9 and encountered a few problems while pepping, mainly a few parts on the back that were too thin and close to eachother, making the build virtually impossible to have come out perfect. Today I addressed these errors in Version 2.0. http://www.4shared.com/file/_q5hyciG/UA-HUL_20.html

It is a fairly simple unfold, but for those of you with Pepakura Viewer 3 or those who want a pre-unfolded file, I will most likely have Rhinoc unfold it in the near future. If any more problems arise with the file I will do my best to fix everything and get a new version out there.

Moving this in to the 3d Modeling subforum now. Nice job on it!

And would you like the file to be posted included in the Reach Pep Files thread?

I'd like if I had an unfold first before we add it to the Pep Files thread, but thank you for moving it, and thanks for the compliments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back