Warhammer 40k Bolter WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ral Partha

Sr Member
I finally decided to start building after months of searching and editing Warhammer 40k stuff. I found more than half a dozen models of the bolter but settled on the one created by psychotron, found in the Google 3D Warehouse. The pep file that I used had a fair number of open edges but I finally learned enough 3D editing to completely eliminate them (v3). I will be releasing that pep file at a later date when I'm done unfolding it. Here are some pics of my progress so far that began during the Christmas break:

Magazine:
BolterMagazine.jpg

I began with this part because I felt that this was the most problematic area with those exceedingly small folds and flaps and thus susceptible to warping, as well as a missing face.

Trigger and Handle:
BolterTriggerandHandle.jpg

This came out a lot easier than I anticipated. Note how close the edge ID numbers are in the trigger and handle areas.

Grip:
BolterGrip1.jpg

This is the third part that I built. The flaps here are even smaller/narrower than the ones in the magazine but putting it together is not really as bad as it sounds but you need to take your time when gluing the parts together. IIRC, it took me 2-3 days to make it look like the one in the pic above.

Barrel:
BolterBarrel.jpg

I kinda messed up the gluing on this part, as you can see in the pic, but a little bondo patch up should clear it up.

Trigger, Handle and Magazine:
BolterTriggerHandleandMagazine.jpg

This is what I got after gluing the trigger to the magazine together. It feels pretty sturdy together so I'm quite happy with this result.

Grip with Barrel:
BolterBarrelandGrip.jpg

Note that I glued the flaps on the outside of the barrel. I did this for half of them. If I didn't, the edge IDs will start shifting away from each other due to the thickness of cardstock, which will lead to warping.

That's all I got at the moment. The temperature here is still hovering around the low 30s so resining it will have to wait.

Attachments

• BolterMagazine.jpg
    BolterMagazine.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 282
  • BolterTriggerandHandle.jpg
    BolterTriggerandHandle.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 246
  • BolterGrip1.jpg
    BolterGrip1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 228
  • BolterBarrel.jpg
    BolterBarrel.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 211
  • BolterBarrelandGrip.jpg
    BolterBarrelandGrip.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 238
  • BolterTriggerHandleandMagazine.jpg
    BolterTriggerHandleandMagazine.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 255
Nice peping there, very clean. Mind if i ask where you got the file from? Because i have been looking for a good one of these.

Nice peping there, very clean. Mind if i ask where you got the file from? Because i have been looking for a good one of these.
Thanks for the compliment.

The bolter is based on the Dark Angels model by psychotron, not because I'm a DA fan but because it contains the fewest number of open edges. The actual pep file that I used (version 1) looks like this:

Bolterv1.jpg

As you can see, it has quite a few open edges. The missing face is not visible in the pic but I found it to be a pain to build. Hence, I came up with the version 3 (see below):

Bolterv3.jpg

Note that there are no open edges on this pep file. It's not quite finished yet as you can see but it's almost there. I'll release it very soon.

nice bolter pep dude i made mine scratch, lets see how the pep one goes btw who's file are you using?.
There's no way I'd even attempt a scratch-build of anything. I got no artistic bone in my body. BTW, I scaled the bolter to be 51 cm long, just about right for my body size.

Attachments

• Bolterv3.jpg
    Bolterv3.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 361
  • Bolterv1.jpg
    Bolterv1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 551
How long is your bolter? Are you planning on resining and bondoing it later?

btw do you have a download link for that bolter
Not yet. I don't want to release the version 1 bolter with all those open edges. At the time, I just wanted a pep base that I can work on but now that I can nominally edit 3D models, I want to have a model that is pep-ready and a file that's already unfolded before posting it for distribution.

A quick update on the project:

Side Panels:
BolterSidePanels.jpg

For very wide pieces like these side panels, I glued triangular support struts (from a Triscuit box, yum!) to minimize warping. It won't eliminate them completely but at least I won't need to use a lot of bondo later.

Trigger Housing:
BolterTriggerHousing.jpg

Not as hard to glue together unlike the magazine but still took me a lot of time to assemble. Here's a closeup of an area on the part:
closeup.jpg

Sight:
BolterSight1.jpg

BolterSight2.jpg

Two views of the sight. Pretty easy to put together despite having a lot of flaps.

Partially assembled bolter:
PartiallyAssembledBolter.jpg

Before I glue the 2nd side panel, I might resin and even fiberglass the interior a bit since the weather is starting to get better around here.

That's it for now.

Attachments

• BolterSidePanels.jpg
    BolterSidePanels.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 209
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 184
  • BolterSight1.jpg
    BolterSight1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 208
  • BolterSight2.jpg
    BolterSight2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 218
  • PartiallyAssembledBolter.jpg
    PartiallyAssembledBolter.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 209
  • BolterTriggerHousing.jpg
    BolterTriggerHousing.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 212
Answering a thread that had its last entry in february 2011 is considered necroing and regarded a violation of the forum rules. So for the future, please check thoroughly on a threads' last entry before posting. You might send the person a pm with your question. This is to keep a certain order of actual threads and those resting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back