water cooling undersuit prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dunno that that heatsink would cool it enough to be comfortable but let us know how it works out

So how are you going to get it to cool yourself? Just run lines all over your body? I had a thought that if you had it running to a few bladders that were strategically placed on your body, like two on your chest and one on your back, then you could increase the surface area that the water actually covered. Kinda like the camel back idea RTGCBT had.

Where did you get this setup? Or is it something you cobbled together? I have been working on my armor for a while, and I am trying to come up with a way to keep cool. I think you nailed it on the head though. I'll be following this closely.

Thats not a prototype, thats a concept. A prototype would be built based on the concept, to hopefully prove the concept. The idea itself is not a prototype.

more experiments tonight, and some more answers first off there are a few different ways to transfer the heat from your body to the water, one method is to use a cool shirt (they are used in racing) here are 2 pics of some
cooler7.jpg

cooler8.jpg

I can either buy these or I can make my own, the only question with making my own is determining what type of tubing to use that will transfer the heat/cold the best.
the other option (the one I tested tonight) is to use cooling pads from a cold water therapy set like this one
cooler3.jpg

cooler6.jpg

this works very well however it is easy to kink and stop the water from flowing. here are some pics of the temps
cooler4.jpg

in the first pic the temp on the left is the water temp, and the temp on the right is the temp of the water block.
cooler5.jpg

in this pic I turned off the water pump to see how cold the water block would get.
now 77 may not look that cold but my body temp started at around 89, if the system can maintain below 80 I think it will work well. another question that someone asked was about the heat sink I was using, that is just something I had laying around, I plan on using something like this
cooler9.jpg

and here is a simple pic of where it will go
back.jpg

i do computer cooling and building myself, but i dont think this type of heatsink and fan should be used on the suit. too big to bee less noticeable. try lc stuff made for things like stereos, seats, and possibly make up your own loop and system. the cpu heatsink is far too big, sorry man

small update on the cooling suit, I got my water pump from china the other day, its 3-6 volts and at 3 volts it has enough power to move the water and stay quiet. here is a pic of the unit.
11%2B-%2B1.jpg

Nice idea...something like that would really come in handy in this humid southern heat.

If u make your own cooling pad u may want to add spring overlays at the bends to keep them from kinking if u go with rubber tubing...tho metal tubing would conduct the heat better i think.

Also just wondering if you have considered using custom cut corrugated vinyl strips...they might be tricky to link together...but would give a larger surface cooling area once primed. could also be mounted to the inside of the main armor itself.

Either way looking nice...looking forward to seeing more.

Nice idea...something like that would really come in handy in this humid southern heat.

If u make your own cooling pad u may want to add spring overlays at the bends to keep them from kinking if u go with rubber tubing...tho metal tubing would conduct the heat better i think.

Also just wondering if you have considered using custom cut corrugated vinyl strips...they might be tricky to link together...but would give a larger surface cooling area once primed. could also be mounted to the inside of the main armor itself.

Either way looking nice...looking forward to seeing more.

what do you mean by custom cut corrugated vinyl strips? (if anything it sounds cool)

CoolingSystemIdea.jpg

this is a method ive been contemplating for a while...still working on the layout tho....saving up the extra funds for the materials, {im planning on going with the clear first so i can flow test}
I figure the undersuit is always the best place to start with any armor...

looking good man, i was thinking about a same sort of instrument/experiment for my armor but i was unsure if it would work or not but good job so far

have you looked at the basic process of a car/ truck cooling system yet? from what ive seen you have roughly figured out a way to store the water and a way to move it around but you havnt got your cooling down 100% with vehicle cooling systems they have the fans behind the radiator and the fans pull air through to cool the water in the radiator then to cool the engine. what you have so far id say you'd have to do this.

if you go with fans. have fans mounted into certain spots in the armour where they can freely pull air in and let it cool the water before moving on. If you are having the water move from a bladder into the suits cooling system and then cool the suit then bladder again dont go for one big one, go two smaller ones. that way you can have it so the hot water gets cooled in one bladder then goes to the second and they get cooled even further. insulation of bladders may even help out more. not sure if youve said or realised anything i said yet so i thought i best say it save you some frustration

Cool Ideas Here! has anyone though of doing without an electric pump? I thought that when you move you get hotter so inside your boots you could use a peristaltic action to pump fluid around a circuit and the saved power could chill and vent a coolie bag...( a canvas coated flask that chills by evaporation... lithium batteries ar way lighter too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back