Why can't we be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And please, easy on the Fett, he's got a good head on his shoulders, and well he's the Fett, so respect.

If that was directed at me as a human being (and not my wannabe-alter-ego) that is probably the best compliment I've gotten online to date.... SIGGED!

@Alix: Oh definitely! We're great buddies... we go waaaaay back... BTW: you owe me $30 for lunch last week, remember? ;)

Thanks for chiming in, skullcandy. I'd really like to hear what the other moderators/admins have to say about some of these issues besides you and Ithica. :cool

Just so its known... I have been reading this thread... Change is inevitable but change isn't fast. Often enough its just implementing the simple changes that result in total chaos.... sometimes its setting up the infrastructure for the change, and then following through with the changes.

Hopefully, with what is being planned, the "Noob" problem wont be such a hassle in the future.

Nah it was to you as a human Fett :D I mean Boba Fett is cool, and ESB is my favorite SW movie of them all, but it takes a level headed person to not sully his bad assness with forum follies ;)

Oh, see there's Spase :)

I dunno, ESB was great, but it kinda dragged at times... I've been something of a "fandalorian" even before Karen Traviss started writing SW books. Me and jedi just don't seem to mix well.. The redeeming factors though were Fett's epicness combined with Hoth. AT-AT's FTW! Best part of the entire movie.

@spase Thanks for posting. It's nice to know that we "little people" are being heard! "Shouting to the forum heavens" is nice, but it's nicer to know that it's being considered or even viewed! Hope everything can start to be implemented so we don't lose any more talented and helpful members, and so we can all enjoy the presence of happy new users. Thanks for posting in my humble thread... *bows*

Ah well I'm just a typical nerd, hahaha didn't quite get pulled into Star wars, but Boba Fett's bad assness translates. yeah I like the baddies more than the Jedi's haha, even though they get owned, except ESB. I agree ESB dragged at certain points, though the battles made up for it. And yes the Hoth battle is beyond exceptional!

The anime trend, specifically Macross pulled me in more ;) haha ok I won't derail the thread anymore :D Game on!

I'm kinda late to the party but I wanted to bring up something I noticed. It's something that might be partially responsible for the problems we have with the constant requests to build people armor and such. I took a screen shot for ease of understanding.

Untitled.png

As you can see, the 405th website contains has a line of text in the description (not sure the proper name for it) when searched for on google. This also shows up when you search just 405th.

Untitled1.png

This same message is shown on the home page

Untitled2.png

The line states "We Build Your Character" and while I believe the original intentions were aimed at the growth and development of a person, I believe that it is also more easily misinterpreted to mean that the 405th takes commissions for Halo armor.

I know this is a small thing to pick at, but it has bugged me for sometime. I also believe that removing/changing the phrase would be relatively simple and unnoticed (i could be wrong, haven't done much with websites). However, I believe that changing that might help reduce the amount of people asking to buy armor or have someone make their suit for them as soon as they join.

-Syphon

EDIT: I just realized the pictures are too small, I will try to get better ones

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    14 KB · Views: 143
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    14 KB · Views: 159
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    14 KB · Views: 159
Plus we're in the same Burough in NYC so you get a free pass hahaha!
Brooklyn? Thats were I am. BKLYN FTW. I agree that we should clean house (pun intended) in both ways get rid of bad members AND organize. Freeze on new membership-maybe temporarily. Not for long and not a FREEZE but like limited access

The problem is a lot of times, instant gratification is the only thing they will take.
There is no fix for this... its the way kids are now days. The age of the cellphone, facebook, etc has given our children the idea that everything can be settled immediately. I have 3 boys. Every one of them wants everything right now. They will check on their mother making dinner no less than 10 times each and be upset its not finished the first time they check.

They have been in trouble for this every day of their lives. They refuse to do anything extra without an immediate reward and willingly will accept grounding until they decide they want something bad enough to do it and get ungrounded. Its ridiculous. All of their friends are this way as well.

They want everything right now.... they do not believe they should ever have to wait for anything. And they have a huge sense of entitlement. I have to correct my oldest all the time on who is the parent and who is the child. I have to stop him from doling out "punishments" to his brothers because he does not believe his mother and I will punish them the way he wants.

Ive had to argue with him a LOT over whos house we live in. He has no concept of the house belonging to his mother and I. He believes he can do whatever he wants to it simply because he has a room here.

There are many more things along these lines with kids anymore. Not just my own. Understand that my kids are not hooligans or troublemakers... its just the things tv/society are teaching now.

Keep an eye out and see how kids are around you... there is no fix for this. The only way to deal with this is to accept it, or create a gate on the community imo.

I see this every day at my job as well. Kids are just that way anymore. Not all though. I am always very pleased to meet a young person who is polite and has respect for others and their property. Its just a shame, that no matter how many talks, examples or how much trouble my own children get themselves into over these things... television shows them that they dont have be considerate of others and can still get what they want, like Kim Kardashian or something.

Yeah, that whole instant gratification and sense of entitlement thing does not sit well with me. I ever have kids, I'm raisin' 'em in Japan, where the idea is you work for what you want.

Oh, SKG, by the way, YAKK! DECULTURE!

Yeah, that whole instant gratification and sense of entitlement thing does not sit well with me. I ever have kids, I'm raisin' 'em in Japan, where the idea is you work for what you want.
I mean. I am a teen. And ill admit. Sometimes you really just want instant gradification, but living in New York City for my whole life, you ll learn to know. THERE IS NO SUCH THING UNLESS YOUR BILL GATES. andJapan-Thats kind of harsh, and why stop at Japan. Think big, do North Korea xD

SkullCandy and Spase thank you for stopping by (imagine a low bow). After gluing my fingers together and building three left handplates (two trash and third time is the charm) I have the utmost respect for all of you. Honestly, the work you all have done is quite extraordinary. After a few days of sniffing around and reading, I'm making my first set of armor (well I got some paper cut out and glued together :) Clearly there is an awful lot right about this community. It is easy to focus on a problem.

A few points for consideration?:
A bit has been said about rating. I am a member of another site and every post is rated - slashdot.org. Live moderators rate every post both for the type of rating such as "Insightful", "Troll", "Informative", etc. Each post also gets a rating number from 1 to 5. This system requires live moderators who look at every post. It works and members can set their threshold so they don't see the low rated posts by default. I don't know if there are enough moderators or if that would work here, but maybe it'll spur some thoughts.

Could there be control on the PM service? A user could simply turn receiving PM's off entirely. Like when you have enough help requests for a while or only accept PM's from selected members.

Finally, the mentoring idea looks great to me. When a new user signs up, they are a "recruit". They can only PM their mentor. They can read, but cannot post anywhere. When the mentor has them up to building a few pieces (or whatever makes sense) they get promoted to "private". The private has the same rights as a new member (like me.) If anyone misbehaves, they get busted down. If there are no mentors available, enrollment is effectively closed.

You get a lot from this mentoring strategy - control of PM, "on-boarding" of new members, and regulation of the amount of new members joining based on available staff to cover the load.

SkullCandy and Spase thank you for stopping by (imagine a low bow). After gluing my fingers together and building three left handplates (two trash and third time is the charm) I have the utmost respect for all of you. Honestly, the work you all have done is quite extraordinary. After a few days of sniffing around and reading, I'm making my first set of armor (well I got some paper cut out and glued together :) Clearly there is an awful lot right about this community. It is easy to focus on a problem.

A few points for consideration?:
A bit has been said about rating. I am a member of another site and every post is rated - slashdot.org. Live moderators rate every post both for the type of rating such as "Insightful", "Troll", "Informative", etc. Each post also gets a rating number from 1 to 5. This system requires live moderators who look at every post. It works and members can set their threshold so they don't see the low rated posts by default. I don't know if there are enough moderators or if that would work here, but maybe it'll spur some thoughts.

Could there be control on the PM service? A user could simply turn receiving PM's off entirely. Like when you have enough help requests for a while or only accept PM's from selected members.

Finally, the mentoring idea looks great to me. When a new user signs up, they are a "recruit". They can only PM their mentor. They can read, but cannot post anywhere. When the mentor has them up to building a few pieces (or whatever makes sense) they get promoted to "private". The private has the same rights as a new member (like me.) If anyone misbehaves, they get busted down. If there are no mentors available, enrollment is effectively closed.

You get a lot from this mentoring strategy - control of PM, "on-boarding" of new members, and regulation of the amount of new members joining based on available staff to cover the load.
Thatis one helluva idea
me likey xD

Those are so good ideas Weeds :) That would require a dedicated team, which I'm not opposed to, and you did note that in your post :)

One thing, and I'm not sure how the PM system works outside of a Mod, there is a way to only be able to recieve PM's from people on your friends list. I opted to turn this option on as I don't have time to answer people's questions(I like to be thurough too). I think there also is an option to turn off PM's entirely, as well as people leaving messages on your profile "wall".

P.S. I went to Art school at CCAD ;) I used to live off Morse road not too far from Easton ;)

@Spartan: Yeah B-rock represent!

I don't know if it would be necessary to limit PM's. That might make it too complicated to implement. I don't know. All I know is how to write a Java program that doesn't work. BUT, as long as the n00b gets a PM from his/her mentor within 24 hours after registration, that would hopefully focus the n00b on his/her mentor.

The mentor program that venture is managing and Nintendude started is a great idea, but it needs to be implemented more "strongly".

While I sit here cutting, scoring, gluing, un-gluing, regluing and cutting and... I think that there is one thing that might help right away.

Change the welcome message in the new member email. Most of you won't recall, but I got this:

Dear weeds,

Thanks for registering at 405th Infantry Division! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

All the best,
405th Infantry Division

Now there is nothing wrong with that, but it's an opportunity for us to get new users on the right track. How about we add:
We assume you are here to learn how to build Halo (or other) armor. Please see the following before you begin posting questions -
1. Understand how we operate here and what we expect of you as well as what we can provide
Adams new recruit video Link
2. The overall process of building armor Link
3. Details on the various steps to building armor
a. Pepakura Link
b. Resin Link
c. Bondo Link
etc.

Failure to read these how to sections may result in reduced privileges.
(that's a little bold, but you get the idea)

While I sit here cutting, scoring, gluing, un-gluing, regluing and cutting and... I think that there is one thing that might help right away.

Change the welcome message in the new member email. Most of you won't recall, but I got this:

Now there is nothing wrong with that, but it's an opportunity for us to get new users on the right track. How about we add:
We assume you are here to learn how to build Halo (or other) armor. Please see the following before you begin posting questions -
1. Understand how we operate here and what we expect of you as well as what we can provide
Adams new recruit video Link
2. The overall process of building armor Link
3. Details on the various steps to building armor
a. Pepakura Link
b. Resin Link
c. Bondo Link
etc.

Failure to read these how to sections may result in reduced privileges.
(that's a little bold, but you get the idea)

idk. thats not a BAD idea but i dont know about the armor pep/bondo stuff, because some people might start with props or idk. Not ALWAYS armor. just a thought

True, so maybe it directs them to Adam's video and he adds info at the end for where to go next and what is expected...
or you could make that welcome email longer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back