Why can't we be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaching Infantryman seems to be more than just by post count. It appears that once a day (or so) "someone" goes through and approves your change in status. It is apparent that whoever is doing this checks on the quality of posts and deletes obvious spam posts from your count. There are threads in the "This $@(*&#% is Broken" forum from folks whose post count was adjusted down from over 100 to much lower numbers.

A great way to prevent folks spamming the forums in order to get "promoted".
well. most of my post are not spam andi have the same amount of posts as i did. hope i get approved soon :)

This is going to be a long one…

Each night I work on my build. I check on this thread and I've been throwing my opinions around and making a lot of suggestions. Pretty nervy for a guy whose been a member for a whopping 2 weeks! As always, thanks for letting me participate.

You might be surprised to learn that I DID NOT join the forums to learn how to make armor! I found the site because I wanted to learn how to make make armor. After reading stickies and looking at some WIP projects, I was sure I learned what I needed to get going on building armor. Now please don't take that as being arrogant, it's a testament to how much information is here. I'll have problems and I figured I could work them out, if I couldn't, maybe someone at the 405th already had the problem and I could read about it or maybe I'd ask someone for help.
I joined the 405th so I could be part of a community of crazy, awesome Halo armor and prop builders. I can relate to these guys and gals.

After I joined, I watched Adam's new recruit video. He made it crystal clear,

"We are a community that is set up not to teach you how to make armor. …we are a community put together to become friends, to make community, and to learn together about how to make props and costumes, not to teach you how to do it."

That's what I call a mission statement. Mission statements don't usually have anything negative in them – the marketing department frowns on such things, but maybe for the 405th it would help to clarify.

405th Mission:
The mission of the 405th is to provide a community where members can learn together to make props and costumes.

Additionally, there are tutorials, instructional help files, and members who will help, but the 405th was not created to help new members make costumes and props.

Now this is WAY above my pay grade, buy it's the idea that matters. Obviously Adam et al have the final say on this or even if they are interested in the idea at all. I know that.

So I revise the new member email as follows:

Dear Username,

Thanks for registering at 405th Infantry Division! New recruits have a few responsibilities to take care of!

1. Understand our mission.
The mission of the 405th is to provide a community where members can learn together to make props and costumes.

Additionally, there are tutorials, instructional help files, and members who will help, but the 405th was not created to help new members make costumes and props.

2. Watch the orientation video. This will give you some idea of what is going on around here.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...entation-Video

3. As Adam pointed out in the video, introduce yourself
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...oduce-Yourself

4. Again as Adam suggested, go to your profile and update it
(insert a screenshot of the main screen where it says “profile”.)

5. Most everything you need to know to get started (and to finish) can be found in the stickies. Read the stickies in the forums that pertain to the kind of project you want to complete. There is a wealth of information here based on years of experience from our veteran builders. Take advantage of it!
http://www.405th.com/forumdisplay.php/21-Noob-Forum

6. For even more help directly from a veteran builder, feel free to join the mentoring program. It is not a requirement and you are certainly welcome to go it alone. The stickies have a wealth of acquired knowledge. If you don’t team up with a mentor and get stuck later, feel free to come back to the mentor thread and sign up. There are veterans here waiting to help.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/...-Programme-2.0

We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

All the best,
405th Infantry Division

Just use sensor marks you b****!, XD just kidding, just kidding, but you get my point, i only use this when something really gets me mad and is either completly wrong or completly inapropriate. As for the "modders", They are called mods but the apropriate term is Moderators and also cursing is rude to most people so better not to offend any one so its better not to use it at all.

Sorry if this made any one uncomfortable, just thought it would help get my point across. :$

Yeah some of the topic of discussion on this thread is there are kids hanging out here, can't let c bombs and f bombs drop.

You'll just have to clean up your internet language.

why not have a Quiz? Maybe some study materials and a shove in the right direction in the confirmation email and then some kind of quiz where you have to score so many points to join. id be happy to take such a test and it would also, if not guarantee, at least it would weed out the people who wouldn't put in the time to study and take a test. Not to mention of you wouldn't take the time for something like that then you definitely wouldn't take the time to make a set of armor or be of any contribution to the forum.

P.S. total noobz here

@Alix: Ahah don't worry Alix, I'm not gonna smoosh ya hahaha. You're fine! Plus we're in the same Burough in NYC so you get a free pass hahaha! Your post made me me chuckle with the old English esque tone,
First- Yay no smooshies for me! And since you live in Queens, I'm pretty sure we've been to the same haunts.

2nd- Now listen heah doll, yer tops in my book, see. Yer a swell dame alright. It's gonna be all high apple pie in the sky fer you kid. Yer goin' places, I'm talkin' big time..yeah that's right, I said it. See you in the funny pages. :)

Tertiary- A QUIZ will certainly discourage all kinds of membership enrollment attempts. It's a novel idea though, and one that will scare off only the most determined. But I feel bad for the mods that would have to deal with that kind of thing. In the end, after all is said and done,as others have posted, the cadre here will have to decide what is feasible as far as keeping the barbarians at the gate. I think it's cool that they allow us, as a community to sound-off on this in such an open way. There is surely an ebb and flow to things as organic as an internet forum so lets wait and see. Whatever happens I believe that there will be a favorable AND equitable solution to this so-called Noob Apocolypse.

First- Yay no smooshies for me! And since you live in Queens, I'm pretty sure we've been to the same haunts.

2nd- Now listen heah doll, yer tops in my book, see. Yer a swell dame alright. It's gonna be all high apple pie in the sky fer you kid. Yer goin' places, I'm talkin' big time..yeah that's right, I said it. See you in the funny pages. :)

Tertiary- A QUIZ will certainly discourage all kinds of membership enrollment attempts. It's a novel idea though, and one that will scare off only the most determined. But I feel bad for the mods that would have to deal with that kind of thing. In the end, after all is said and done,as others have posted, the cadre here will have to decide what is feasible as far as keeping the barbarians at the gate. I think it's cool that they allow us, as a community to sound-off on this in such an open way. There is surely an ebb and flow to things as organic as an internet forum so lets wait and see. Whatever happens I believe that there will be a favorable AND equitable solution to this so-called Noob Apocolypse.

quiz might be a good idea i think

Just to clear things up just a little bit on the early subject of my brother John aka Nintendude, part of the reason he left the 405th was noobs yes, but a major part of his leaving was that he was constantly sick, like he is at the moment which is why he is currently trying to get the Halo badges he was working on before he left. He's planning to get those badges that people ordered done this week. One thing he is upset about though from my understanding is people that were involved with the Secret Santa thread is that not everyone got thier gifts sent to them so anyone that has still not recieved their gift please PM me and I will work with him to see what we can do to clear up any problems there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back