Why can't we be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, your seeing a transition. It's the eb and flow of all things. The old guard is changing out and you'll soon see the new guard rise. When this transition happens the less of the team aspect you'll see. Soon enough everything will be great. I intend to do my thing on here, have fun, meet some new people, help the newcomers, learn new things, experiment and above all else....

Produce top quality beer for our group functions (for those of legal drinking age)

yah i would say the same thing, it's the internet and this is just what people do in the internet

First, let me say I'm prob'ly the newest NooB here and I appreciate all of you letting me give me 3 cents worth. Thank you for asking for comment.
Now that all makes good sense, and I think you made the point -
The problem is a lot of times, instant gratification is the only thing they will take. Some person saw a video with someone in a Master Chief suit, and went: “OMFG! I WANT! GIMME GIMME!” Ok, I’m sure EVERYONE reacted that way at some level, but the problem is that a lot of people take that impulse and spew forth ignorance when they visit the site. That is the thing that is ruining the experience for many.
I don't mean to take this out of context so let me know if I have, but that is a NooB. And one who does not understand the culture you (I would say "we", but I'm really not part of it yet) want here. So we need to get in between the "OMFG!" and first post "insert semi-literate irritating question here". So maybe it's a boot camp or a webinar, or proof of work, waiting period, or something else.

Not taking it out of context, and what you're saying is pretty much what I mentioned later on in my post. We want to help everybody (at least I do) but EVERYBODY needs to start by showing respect to all, the learning process needs to be streamlined, and a waiting period needs to be implemented to avoid impulsiveness. And see, you're the type of person that everyone wants on the 405th. You've learned for yourself, you've so far been trying to help and input your thoughts, and if you do have a question on the finer points of the process, you'll probably ask the question in an intelligent way. Problem is, not everybody's like that. So everybody please take this: I'm not a person that thinks n00bs or newcomers are bad, in fact, they are GREAT! We just need to be able to weed out the good from the bad.

@Boba Fett

I agree its not just a NooB issue but there really isn't any bad NooBs. They just need to be pointing in the right direction without the rudeness.

Think of the site as a business and the NooB's are the customers. If the customer support is good you have a dedicated customer that will support your business. The problem arises is none of us get paid to run the business so the customers get what they pay for in a since..

Doug

Thank you. I consider that a compliment. I'm with you all the way. Everyone wants new members. If not, close the registration permanently, and that's the end of it. We've been using two spellings of "newbie" and I think there are two definitions - 1. The person who is new at this and learning. 2. An annoying gnat that causes irritation to the main body. You want 1's not 2's.

maybe not, but I'm just trying to make the point that there are people around that are incapable or learning, or being respectful, or getting by with their own wits. Those are the people that you want to eliminate from the 405th member-list. They do nothing but make it worse for everyone else. We should DEFINITELY point everyone in the right direction, but if that doesn't do it, people can't be holding their hands step-by step through the process where they could figure it out themselves. God gave people a brain, they need to learn how to use it... it is not mere matter to go inside the skull. It serves a purpose.

EDIT: and a compliment it was. Yeah, I use newbie to define someone that is starting, with no initial knowledge but is eager to learn. n00b is for those that is starting... with no eagerness to learn on their own. permanetly closing registration is a bad idea, you want more people to come. Temporarily closing it however will encourage more newbies and less n00bs, if you follow.

DaFlea wrote:
Think of the site as a business and the NooB's are the customers. If the customer support is good you have a dedicated customer that will support your business. The problem arises is none of us get paid to run the business so the customers get what they pay for in a since..
I think you made a good point. It really isn't a business. I run a business. My customers pay for a service. I do all I can to keep them happy and attract new customers. 405th really doesn't follow that model, it's free. It really is a community. "From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs." It starts to break when there are too many with no abilities and those with abilities covering the gap. Compound that with YouTube like comments from new members and you get this thread.

A while back I posted a thread regarding a similar topic regarding the disrespect towards veteran members by noobs. This is a seemingly common occurrence, and I believe this ties into your first point “Do unto others as you would have done to you”. This is just my own opinion on the matter.

I recently recieved an E-mail I a member of these forums. I am not going to say who the member is, however the information I am about to state is directed to everybody who is part of the 405th costuming community.

We were all newbs here once. Many of us started from scratch learning about everything other members do here. However, we all have certain members to thank for our success. Weather they wrote the tutorials posted around the site, or graciously helped us as we were just beginning to learn the intricate and fun hobby of costuming. Some of us like to give back to the community that has given to us so much. Many of that some have given everything back, plus more.

Those members who have given back have put their valuable time and effort into answering an individual members questions once and a while, 3D modeling, writing a tutorial or something along those lines. However, some very dedicated members put themselves completely on the line to help as many members as possible in any and every way possible.

Like myself, those veteran members who voluntarily help other members do it out of the pureness of our own hearts. We try our best to keep the well-known and respected name of the 405th alive. However, we are human, and we all draw a line somewhere.

Those of us veteran members here take on a fair percentage of the 405th’s questions with steadfast dedication, accuracy, and overall, patients. Not many new members understand that many of us answer the same questions over and over again. After a certain point in time, it becomes annoying. Although we continue to politely answer questions, a little bomb in the back of our head begins to tick with impatiens. Although that bomb takes an unbelievable amount of annoyance to detonate, it is still there and ready to explode.

Now, onto the main topic of this thread.

New members today have a lot of questions. They direct their questions to those of us more experienced members who know what they are doing. There is nothing wrong with that. Knowledge is meant to be passed from generation to generation, not stored and wasted. However, there are some of us members who do not check our PM or E-mail inbox(s) every day, or do not have regular Internet access.

There are some of us who are overwhelmed with question E-mail and PM’s that we simply do not have the time to answer them all every day. I am one of those people.

I recently received an E-mail from what will be an un-named member here asking for scaling help. As I usually do, I put the member on my “To-help list”. Because my “To-help list” grows by approximately 100 people per day, I sometimes lose track of who I have answered, and who I have yet to answer. Rarely do I forget to answer a PM or E-mail, but it turns out I did miss this members E-mail.

Yesterday I received a fairly blunt, straightforward, even mean E-mail from said member saying how incompetent I was for offering my help but not following through. I E-mailed the member back explaining how I had missed the E-mail and was very sorry for not following through. I also ensured him he is now at the top of my priorities list, and he can contact me whenever he would like.

After reviewing my questions I ran across said members original question. What I had originally thought of the members “incompetent” E-mail quickly turned into the complete opposite. The member had sent the question on May 6, 2010, and contacted me again with the “incompetent” E-mail on May 14, 2010. His action was simply an eye-opener (in a negative sense) for lack of a better phrase or word.

Said member also mentioned that if I were to offer help but not follow through again he would notify the site admin. He also said he doesn't care how many posts I have, how long I have been on the 405th or that he am a new member. He concluded that statement saying that the help I am offering is bogus, and I should stop.

How I see this; simply disrespectful, a direct insult, and overall a punch in the face. My top priority here on the 405th is to help other members. And yet, no matter how many members I help, there is always that one who says "that’s not good enough. I want more!"

Although this member did have a right to contact me to remind me to answer his question, he did not have a right to completely slap me across the face. It was completely uncalled for on his part.

I do not hold myself higher over any other member who is apart of these forums, both new and old. Post count means nothing. However, the dedication, contribution and help you apply in our community does. The moment we start basing everything on post count is the moment we start a civil war amongst the veteran members and the new members.

----------------------------------------------------

The bottom line:

RESPECT.

When you contact another member of any forum asking a question or requesting a pep file, you need to respect that member. Not showing respect to that member is highly offensive. Ask any veteran member here on the forum who has had an experience similar to mine, and they will all agree that the members action was simply uncalled for, especially after only a week. A month is understandable, but a week?!?

For example, here is a blurb from a PM I sent another member here asking for a pep file.

Hey mate,

First off, I would like to say that your 3D models are amazing! Whenever I go to print off a new armour part, I always go straight to my “ “Members name” Armour” folder.

If its not too much trouble for you, I would like to request a model of the Weta version ODST stomach plate. I have some adequate reference material, along with some scaled blueprints of the armour part. It is a fairly simple armour part, and I only need a low definition pep model of it (its not very high definition to begin with).

I just finished drawing up some blueprints and putting my best reference of the stomach plate together. If you need more reference or blueprints of certain areas, feel free to ask.

CopyofWetaODST20.jpg

WetaversionStomachPlate-ODST1.jpg

WetaversionStomachPlate-ODST2.jpg

If you could please be so kind as to help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

That is what a pep file request should look like. It shows that you respect the modeler and are trying to help with a model that is really only meant for one person. Not many modelers would say yes to a request like this.

cani haz a modl of a odsd chest plat modl?

thx!

Not very appealing, is it?

The same rules apply to when you are asking another member a question. Show respect with at least half decent spelling, grammar and punctuation, as well as be very polite. Being a little “brat” won’t get you anywhere.

As for reminding a member to answer your question, simply don’t do it every day. The member will eventually get around to it. However, after 2 weeks, you may want to send them a quick reminder.

If a member doesn’t answer your question after a month, the member may no longer be active or has not been on the forums in a while due to monetary problems, no internet, family emergency, or something to that effect. Do not report the member, simply ask another member for help.

As the “Official 405th Q&A Team” says in their sticky:

1st: Please read the Stickies! Look at the top on each Forum. Anything under "Important Topics" Read! You just might find your answer there!

2nd: If you have a question, just search the list, look for a member that meets your needs, and just PM him or her.

That simple. Just allow some time for them to respond (A full day or 2, average).

3rd: RESPECT the volunteers, don't get all pissy if you PM someone and don’t instantly get an answer.

Anyway, that’s the end of my rant. New members, please respect the veterans who so selflessly put their very precious time, sweat, and sometimes even blood into answering your questions. Remember, without us, you would probably have gotten nowhere in costuming and may have given up a long time ago.

With warm regards,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Attachments

• CopyofWetaODST20.jpg
    CopyofWetaODST20.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 152
  • WetaversionStomachPlate-ODST1.jpg
    WetaversionStomachPlate-ODST1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 122
  • WetaversionStomachPlate-ODST2.jpg
    WetaversionStomachPlate-ODST2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 126
See, that's what I mean, Tactics. I don't hate the noobs, and I'm more than willing to pass on every bit of what I know, but when they're supposed to read the stuck threads, and they impatiently and disrespectfully (fortunately, I've gotten very little of that last one, by comparison) ask how to do something as simple as download Pepakura Designer, over and over, I just get sick of it, and I know I'm not the only one.

The problem is respect. All of the veteran members (I'm not sure if I wanna call myself a veteran, by any standard. I've only been a member about a year) respect everyone else, and are willing to help anyone who asks nicely. A lot of the noobs are nice and respectful, too. But, those that aren't, spoil it for the rest. And, many that are, just aren't respectful enough to what is asked of them from the start, which is to read the stickies and follow forum etiquette. I read every relevant sticky, and I've tried my hardest to remain civil, and that's why I succeed. That's why everyone who has, has succeeded.

And that's the lesson we need to pass on to newcomers. That said, I don't think that's quite possible, at this point, without some action being taken to ensure they follow that lesson. I mean, I don't wanna come off as harsh, but, maybe we need to be stricter towards the noobs, or do some kind of preventive measure to keep them from swarming so much, and forcing lurking before posting. I don't really know. It's outside my pay grade.

Oh, and, Tactics, let me say, again, thanks for your scaling method. That is the single, solitary reason I got anything done.

Plus nobody ever watches it anyway...
The limited entry was probably a good idea that needs a resurgance. But screening hundreds of people would take forever... can't be too picky.
or, you might be able to place new members on probation. Say they get 10-15 posts before they're cut off. If they seem like decent human beings, let them in. If they're fools, kick them out. Just an thought.
I watched and read almost all the stickies. I love forum even though I'm not a halo fan. It forum has taught me a lot. I've been working on a Steel( the black superman) costume and people have just been dropping in and giving me much needed advice. I thank you guys for welcoming me to your family with open arms

I watched and read almost all the stickies. I love forum even though I'm not a halo fan. It forum has taught me a lot. I've been working on a Steel( the black superman) costume and people have just been dropping in and giving me much needed advice. I thank you guys for welcoming me to your family with open arms

yeah
i agree, well though thats what all of us just said

NO! NO! OH GOD NO! That will cause millions of problems... more than I can say here. Plus it's putting people down, destroying friendshipps, I could go on. Very bad idea.
Boba Fett? More like Jodo Kast! ;-) Where's the Boba Fett who tracked down the scoundrel who-shall-not-be-named and handed him over to a certain Dark Lord, all in order to collect on a bounty...NAY a DOUBLE bounty?!! Where's the Boba fett who tried to shoot said scoundrel in the back? WHILE HE WAS blind NO LESS??
Is this the same Boba Fett that strode proudly though the corridors of Cloud City with a captured princess and a manacled wookie at blasteroint, all of which turned out to be an elaborate ruse to lure Luke Skywalker out of hiding and into certain DOOM?
Mayhaps that Sarlacc bile is eroding the integrity of your Mandolorian pedigree? hmm? HMMMM?

Can'tcha see it lad?!!!

Noob Thunderdome=Pure win :)

Boba Fett? More like Jodo Kast! ;-) Where's the Boba Fett who tracked down the scoundrel who-shall-not-be-named and handed him over to a certain Dark Lord, all in order to collect on a bounty...NAY a DOUBLE bounty?!! Where's the Boba fett who tried to shoot said scoundrel in the back? WHILE HE WAS blind NO LESS??
Is this the same Boba Fett that strode proudly though the corridors of Cloud City with a captured princess and a manacled wookie at blasteroint, all of which turned out to be an elaborate ruse to lure Luke Skywalker out of hiding and into certain DOOM?
Mayhaps that Sarlacc bile is eroding the integrity of your Mandolorian pedigree? hmm? HMMMM?

Can'tcha see it lad?!!!

Noob Thunderdome=Pure win :)

It doesn't mean I don't WANT to do that, it just means I KNOW the forum would erupt in chaos... I would do that, if this was the bounty hunter's guild...

Just to chime in, yes I swing my hammer in the L.A. thread, I have reasons and have a general low tolerance for disrespect and entitlement, but I have also held back from a couple who still ignored the rules I posted. And please, easy on the Fett, he's got a good head on his shoulders, and well he's the Fett, so respect.

Also the given age of MOST disrespectful/spazzy noobs is 13-19 ( though there are a couple disrespectful 20+ somethings). The Indy Mogul video I was on has almost 1 million views, and 90% of the crowd that watches Indy Mogul are KIDS who want what they want, when they want it. There could be an age limit imposed, that could cut down on the above metnioned problems.

There will be no "Rate the Noobs" ,we aren't hot or not.com. Punishment for dumb behavior s one thing. as it's damaging enough to be a teenager, to be "rated" on a hobby site, based on an imaginary character, is beyond ludacris and pretty mean. "Judging" quality of work is fine, but we can't teach people how to be, doesn't work on the web. That's a parents job. And There's enough flaming on this place, and like Boba said it would just turn this place in a chaotic pit.

Das Brutus checking in...

Why do I not have a noob rating? I am still learning all the different aspects of this forum and the methods that are used within.

Yes. I have suits. No. I didn't make every piece.

I helped with molds, I casted my suit out of those molds, and I casted out of other peoples molds. I made deals with other members when I "needed" pieces that I just couldn't make myself.

I've been a member for awhile now, and have been damed lucky to meet some of the greats. I've also been lucky in the forming of friendships with some of the greats. I could be more active, but life hates me and gets in the way.

At 39 years old, I enjoy reading the blind stumblings of the noobs older and younger than I... because I was and still am just as blind.

Here's an idea: If you are willing to help out the less knowledgable, put it in your signature. "I am HaloGodSelfProclaimed253, and I am here to give advice and quidence". If you don't wish to be bothered, then you can choose to ignore the request or simply name the forum member (by forum name, not real name) who is able, willing, or bored enough to help.

There will always be the annoying and spitefull... then again, there will always be the ones willing to listen.

That being said, I now return to my sleep and wait till I have some new project to contribute.

Brutus

Um...Hi SKG. So you're a shot-caller on BOTH coasts..Nice! It's kinda cool that you're weighing in on this thread. And I just wanna let you know that I meant no disrespect for Das Boba. I was just ribbin' him ya know...like old pals do...right Boba? {grabs Boba by the neck and playfully musses his hair} Yeah we're real swell pals, see? ;-)

And I agree, the last thing a youngster needs is to be ostracized on a forum that can probably inspire them to achieve creative greatness, I was only half-serious about the Thunderdome thing..thankfully nobody took the bait. Still that would be something to behold. HAH.

It's pretty awesome to put a face to the name. You seem very natural in front of the camera. A MILLION hits? Wow. Keep up the good work!! ithinki'mbabbling.

Anywhoo....

p.s. I recognize the chestplate in your sig as the one in the BFXvid.
bye.

I've been scanning this thread instead of reading all of the posts. My life is busy as hell so sitting still and reading everything is close to impossible. I imagine this applies to all the members.

If I repeat what everyone had said, I apologize. Here are my two cents again.

I don't think all noobs are bad. Some noobs are young to begin with and hence they could be very impatient in their request. I still remember listening to a conversation in GameStop. An out of state kid paying for a game. He asked the cashier, "I thought the game is $49. Why am I paying $54?" The cashier said, "There is such a thing we call tax?"

I'm not sure if you agree with me or not, I think the problem lies with 405th. The administrators of the site are probably volunteers. I don't think anyone of us can devote much time in improving the site. When this site became active again, nothing has changed much. The homepage shows "Top 25..." that links to nothing. If 405th can be revised with more information that noobs can used, we won't have to deal the issues that we have today. For example, a simple FAQ or "Rules of Engagement" will help. The homepage could have a title that says "If you are new to 405th, please read the following guidelines..." or "New to armor making, follow the links fo the tutorials".

As it is today, once you get to the homepage, you get this confusing page and wondering where should you go first. Finding the stickies like looking for a needle in a haystack. Sometimes I don't blame the noob to create a thread and say "I want to make a costume but where do I start?"

Maybe it is time to cleanup the house. During the process, we should have a freeze on new membership.

@Alix: Ahah don't worry Alix, I'm not gonna smoosh ya hahaha. You're fine! Plus we're in the same Burough in NYC so you get a free pass hahaha! Your post made me me chuckle with the old English esque tone, heheh. And thanks for the kind compliments, I do my best when I can, hahaha had to stick to the script ;) I was kind of addressing the earlier posts about the "Noob" rating. I didn't take yours as being overly serious ;) I just had to voice concern, without context I really can't place the intent of the posts.

@Cool: Yeah there's a lot to be done, and yes, all the mods and Admins are on a volunteer basis, and we ebb and flow.
My case is I went from full time work to full-time freelance, so I have "some" free time, but I have to keep the benjamins coming in as I train for a full-time gig, so I gotta juggle. We'll bring up some of the grievences with the Admins when it's appropriate :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back