Why can't we be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great idea, but once the guide is done it can take the place of several links. If anyone wants to contribute to the guide PM me.

I read AlexSpartan177’s thread about leaving – http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29736-Leaving-because-of-the-Noob-Apocalypse
“Sir, we are working on it. Please keep your eye on what happens.”

That thread is closed, so I can’t post to it, but it is related to the issue we are talking about here. A really good point was made by dungObeetle that the site is search engine friendly and Google searches can result in getting internal pages. That can be fixed with a file in the root of the site called Robot’s.txt. See http://www.robotstxt.org/robotstxt.html

really? thank you
i heard one place it was 50
one place it was to build a totally beast armor. yadayada. But k thanx
eidt edit
i reached 100. more than that. it doesnt say infantryman under my name. *gasp*
Maybe you have to be a member for a certain amount of time, too. Or maybe you have to log out and log back in. I'm not sure exactly. I just know when I hit 100 posts it gave me Infantryman status, but it didn't show up until I logged out and back in.

Maybe you have to be a member for a certain amount of time, too. Or maybe you have to log out and log back in. I'm not sure exactly. I just know when I hit 100 posts it gave me Infantryman status, but it didn't show up until I logged out and back in.

ive been logged out
logged in
you name it several times

That's cuz spartans are not mere infantrymen... they are waaaaay above infantry! :p hmm, not sure what's wrong. MAybe it takes 24 hours to take effect? NOt sure.

Boba Fett started this thread and I think it was a “jump in and give your thoughts” kind of thing, so I don’t think I’m out of place writing a summary. If I am, let me know.

Summary,
OK, I don’t think we need all that restrictions and details I talked about earlier (thanks for the positive feedback) – just stash that for future reference. I checked out the mentoring thread and they are well on their way to solving a lot of the new member problems. So that means we just have to give the intro points in the welcome email and make sure we are in sync with what the mentors want to do. I sent venture a PM and we are in sync. He was surprised to find out that some new members were insulted by the suggestion that they should team up with a mentor. That amazes me. Here is a free site with free help… Anyhow, I worded the point about getting a mentor to accommodate that sentiment. So how strong the mentoring is pushed is up for some debate and is above my pay grade :)

So here it is
New processes
1. New member sign up - New member gets welcome email with:
A. Link to Adam’s welcome video
B. Instructions to:
i. Go to their profile and update it
ii. Go to the Introduce yourself thread and, well, introduce themselves
iii. Go to the mentoring thread and ask for a mentor
iv. A reminder to read the stickies while they wait for a PM from a mentor.
C. A link to the guide (once that is done)

Welcome to the 405th!

2. Members who post “Can I Haz that SUIT ?” or “I dl .ods file and when I click my computer says it can’t open it? Help Me!” or the like will be asked “Who is you mentor?”and told, “ If you don’t have one, go sign up for one here."

3. Existing members who violate the rules in any way – We encourage the moderators to use the tools at their disposal to control bad behavior. See SkullCandy Girl if you have questions!

Details
New member sign up email:

Dear Username,

Thanks for registering at 405th Infantry Division! New recruits have a few responsibilities to take care of!

1. Watch the orientation video. This will give you some idea of what is going on around here.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/15735-New-Recruit-Orientation-Video

2. As Adam pointed out in the video, introduce yourself
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/11765-Introduce-Yourself

3. Again as Adam suggested, go to your profile and update it
(insert a screenshot of the main screen where it says “profile”. I edited this one for this thread.)

home.php

4. Most everything you need to know to get started (and to finish can be found in the stickies. Read the stickies in the forums that pertain to the kind of project you want to complete. There is a wealth of information here based on years of experience from our veteran builders. Take advantage of it!
http://www.405th.com/forumdisplay.php/21-Noob-Forum

5. For even more help directly from a veteran builder, feel free to join the mentoring program. It is not a requirement and you are certainly welcome to go it alone. The stickies have a wealth of acquired knowledge. If you don’t team up with a mentor and get stuck later, feel free to come back to the mentor thread and sign up. There are veterans here waiting to help.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30138-405th-Mentor-Programme-2.0

We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

All the best,
405th Infantry Division

What do y'all think of that?

lol got nearly done with posting when I saw Weeds' new post...lol so forgive me if this sounds like a rehash (though it is a little differnet) but here is my $.02 on the issue.
Kind of an alternate form of Weeds' suggestion i guess...lol

new members have read-only access initially to certain forums.
a clean up of the sticky section, implementing a 405th handbook that details the basic armor building techniques, and links to more advanced techniques.

new members apply for full access, should probably have a standard form, detailing why they want to join, as well as a questionaire made to show that they have read and understand the rules of the forum.
Upon acceptance, they are assigned a mentor.
As a part of "initiation"(couldn't think of a better term) the new member would have to build, from pep to paint, a small standardized piece (like a handplate), submitting photos of each step as proof of completion. Here they would use the basic techniques spelled out in the handbook and tutorials, as well as their mentor as guides. This is more to show they are dedicated to the learning and build process rather than as a show of skill.

after which the new member enters a probationary period where their posts are moderated before posting.

I know there are a few other things in their that i missed and please excuse my poor spelling.

OK, now that i've said everything that everyone else has said (in one way or another :p ) I'll add that I also really like the idea of holding webinars for the newbies. And I do realize not everyone who joins is great at doing the armor, but may excell at the 3D modelling and unfolding or even propmaking. maybe if we had post-recruit mentoring on those techniques as well?

and while yes, i do through those ideas out there saying "oh we should change it so that the noobs have to jump through these hoops to get posting right" I'll also add that I would be willing to go through all those above mentioned steps myself. Both to show I am not just saying things, and as for its practical use as a trial run.

You still having trouble 279? did ya refresh too?

well. yes. i have like 110 or somthin posts. Maybe I do gotta wait 24 hours. Its not been that long. I have made several more posts.Been logged out. Logged back in. Yada Yada Yada. Ill see xD

As a part of "initiation"(couldn't think of a better term) the new member would have to build, from pep to paint, a small standardized piece (like a handplate), submitting photos of each step as proof of completion. Here they would use the basic techniques spelled out in the handbook and tutorials, as well as their mentor as guides. This is more to show they are dedicated to the learning and build process rather than as a show of skill.
Well. Thats not exactly fair. Me for instance. I dont have a printer (yet), and sure as heck my parents wouldn't let me use that dangerous stuff like fiberglass, and rondo, and what not, and anyway in Brooklyn, NY at this time. HAHAHA good luck. Its like 15-50 degrees here lately. No joke. I mean i could paper mache it but still.

@Ravenwolf et al.
This thread certainly doesn't belong to me. Glad you jumped in with ideas. I was just trying to sum up where it seemed we were. Basically I am suggesting we step back a little from the stronger tactics (and like you, if I was told I was being tossed until I had a completed handplate, I would happily conform - I'd be a little peeved though since it's about 20 degrees out and I wouldn't be able to do resin, bondo or paint till spring!) But, the point is, we don't seem to represent the bulk of new members.

Assuming there is some consensus, who do we suggest these changes to?

my newest PM i just got for some reason-
from spartan-284.

Thumbs up help

which is the order for the pepakura, bondo, resin, and hardner? I need help!
-- obviously HE DIDNT READ THE STICKYS OR ANY ARMOR OR WEAPON THREAD. NOT EVEN FUNNY.
like omg.

@Weeds, and Spartan-279

yeah, the more that I think about it, the more i realize it's not the greatest idea to use that as a "must have." lol
I think part of the reason it didn't occur to me right off is that I'm having to take such a long time as is to complete my build. Mostly because of material cost and time, but that's a different matter :p

There seems to be varying opinions on having a single "Handbook" for the basic/beginner techniques. The more i think about it, the more the handbook thing would fit only if we revamped the noob forum. And that sounds like it would take considerable effort.

I honestly don't know. I really want to do my part to help improve things, but at the same time, I don't feel I've been here long enough to have a legit say in things. Not because i don't think people will listen, but just because I don't feel i've been here long enough to have a strong stake in things. not sure if that makes sense...lol

my newest PM i just got for some reason-
from spartan-284.

Thumbs up help

which is the order for the pepakura, bondo, resin, and hardner? I need help!
-- obviously HE DIDNT READ THE STICKYS OR ANY ARMOR OR WEAPON THREAD. NOT EVEN FUNNY.
like omg.
See, that is EXACTLY what I mean.
new members have read-only access initially to certain forums.
a clean up of the sticky section, implementing a 405th handbook that details the basic armor building techniques, and links to more advanced techniques.

new members apply for full access, should probably have a standard form, detailing why they want to join, as well as a questionaire made to show that they have read and understand the rules of the forum.
Upon acceptance, they are assigned a mentor.

after which the new member enters a probationary period where their posts are moderated before posting.
What are we, the 501st? I disagree. That asks too much of newcomers, without giving them even the option of asking for our help. It's so elitist and non-communal, and I just disagree with that 501st-ism.

I seriously think read-only privileges for awhile, and stricter treatment of noobs who ask questions rudely, or that are directly answered in stickies, combined with a new welcome email are a better way to go.

See, that is EXACTLY what I mean.

What are we, the 501st? I disagree. That asks too much of newcomers, without giving them even the option of asking for our help. It's so elitist and non-communal, and I just disagree with that 501st-ism.

I seriously think read-only privileges for awhile, and stricter treatment of noobs who ask questions rudely, or that are directly answered in stickies, combined with a new welcome email are a better way to go.

well
then after that he said he had read them and wanted to verify. i dont know why he asked me-? but now we established contact and he's iight. he said he activated his account but it doesnt work. idk. but still. well
so anyone have a REAL answer to my earlier question about reaching infantryman status. i got several answers still-i never reached it.

Reaching Infantryman seems to be more than just by post count. It appears that once a day (or so) "someone" goes through and approves your change in status. It is apparent that whoever is doing this checks on the quality of posts and deletes obvious spam posts from your count. There are threads in the "This $@(*&#% is Broken" forum from folks whose post count was adjusted down from over 100 to much lower numbers.

A great way to prevent folks spamming the forums in order to get "promoted".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back