WinterHuntsman’s ODST build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow work is looking so much better. Seriously look at these cuts, gluing, and bending is compared to my first attempt!

I’m happy with the progress so far. Lines look so good that heat treating is on track to be very good once I’m at that step.

Great news!
The helmet is fully assembled!
The last piece is drying right now and I’ll get photos of it up by tonight.
As for the foam it’s making progress but not as fast as I’m taking my time this attempt. Front half is done, so next is to do the back and then the straps that go over my shoulders.

Edit- Photos!

Last edited:
First off sorry for the last couple posts of me posting before any replies but I just wanted to show off updates on the project.
Now on to questions.

Now that the helmet is done with the paper stage (photos in previous post) what’s my next step. I was reading into the resin stuff but there are so many options and each is so different. I know I need a respirator, long gloves, goggles, and pain brushes and that’s about it.
I’m worried about this stage as it took a long time to make the paper helmet and im worried about making a mistake.

First off sorry for the last couple posts of me posting before any replies but I just wanted to show off updates on the project.
Now on to questions.

Now that the helmet is done with the paper stage (photos in previous post) what’s my next step. I was reading into the resin stuff but there are so many options and each is so different. I know I need a respirator, long gloves, goggles, and pain brushes and that’s about it.
I’m worried about this stage as it took a long time to make the paper helmet and im worried about making a mistake.
Mistakes will happen. Sure it will be a bummer to mess up your bucket but, its the natural flow of things.
All you can do is just do it.

Now on to questions.

I'm currently on this stage.. It takes some patience.
  • I would suggest getting a 50 box of nitrile gloves (don't need long ones) because after about 1 or 2 resins those things become so sticky you won't be able to work with them (or at least I couldn't out of pure frustration). Always wear gloves though because you don't want that stuff on your skin and fiberglass cloth or matt will prick your fingers long after you are done working on it...
  • To mix the resin I bought a 2 oz measuring cup thing and pour 1oz in it and then move it to a plastic solo cup, I use the solo cup(and popsicle sticks) to mix the hardner and resin.
  • Go to walmart and buy a bunch of cheap 1" or 1&1/2" brushes (10-12)(also maybe a 2" brush for the outside coat) You will only need 1 or 2(brushes) to coat the outside, but when you got Fiberglass cloth/matt the inside you will run through those fast...
  • Popsicle sticks! get some popsicle sticks to reinforce the helmet when you resin the outside of it so that it doesn't collapse on itself while it dryes, mostly for the longer flat part like the top. take them out after you're done with 2(or 3) resin coats on the outside.
  • Fiberglassing the inside is gonna be a not fun time but when you're done with the first layer you will see how much of an improvement it is. Cut in 1-1/2" x 2-3" strips for most of it is what I did and it seems to work out well. Except I had some big squares for the flat parts.
  • Rondo the inside after you're done fiberglassing the inside. (you'll have to look that up since I haven't even got to that part).
  • Work somewhere ventilated, I work in my basement work shop, but I am right next to the door with a fan blowing out of it (or work outside). You got the rest with respirator ( a real one not a dust mask, and goggles(suggested))
edit: honestly crafting the helmet is the hardest part. Once you coat the outside in resin you won't have to worry.

Last edited:
Ok thanks he4thbar

So while I work on getting the supplies I’m working on my second attempt at the foam chest piece. I got the back and front done and they look good.

What I’m wondering is before I attach them, should I do the heat sealing? I don’t know if is better to do that to each section of the chest before all the major parts are connected (front, back, upper back, shoulders) or seal it once everything is together.
I need to know this before I start attaching the major sections.

Until I figure that out I’ll be working on a new set of shoulder pads.

Do whatever really. If you are using contact cement, it doesnt really matter if you seal it or not. It will hold it in position so it will naturally take the shape it is glued in. You can heat seal it after, but it doesn't necessarily make a huge difference if you do one before the other. Maybe for other adhesives I would recommend heat sealing first, so you can bend the foam and the foam takes the shape yoh want, without having all the stress on the glue with it resisting the curvature. Also if you dont heatseal before, the glue may seep into the pores of the foam and not grip the other peice, but this also depends on the glue you are using

Ok I attached the front and back and did a little heat treating to some spots to fill in gaps.

It so far looks better than the first attempt but there are still gaps caused by foam contracting instead of expanding.
Next update will be of finished chest and shoulders.

It so far looks better than the first attempt but there are still gaps caused by foam contracting instead of expanding.
Nice job man, remember the you can always reinforce seems and gaps with either kwikseal or shoe goo(shoe goo is more reinforcing, kwikseal is for filling). So don't feel discouraged it's looking great to me!

Nice job man, remember the you can always reinforce seems and gaps with either kwikseal or shoe goo(shoe goo is more reinforcing, kwikseal is for filling). So don't feel discouraged it's looking great to me!
Yes, but also, dont feel like you can get away with this. If you have a mentality that everything will be just fine later, it adds so much more work down the line, and may skew your results. Shoot for perfection as much as you can and dont go lazy! If you have a great, tight bond without a huge gap, you can even dand the seam down a little and it will disappear. Looking good!

Thanks guys. The one spot with the bad seem is actually a spot that will be covered by the breast plate so it works out in the end.
I am proud of my work as well and happy what I have done so far in this second attempt.
I’ll keep working on the chest and I should a nice chest piece assembled in a week or so.

Yes, but also, dont feel like you can get away with this. If you have a mentality that everything will be just fine later, it adds so much more work down the line, and may skew your results. Shoot for perfection as much as you can and dont go lazy! If you have a great, tight bond without a huge gap, you can even dand the seam down a little and it will disappear. Looking good!
I just wanted to agree with xXDashIVXx here. I did some of this on my suit too be honest, and in the end it never happens and you're left with a bunch of spots to 'get back too'. My boots in particular need a lot of work (though it didn't help that my roomate threw out the first set I made, so I wasn't exactly feeling it).
Do as much right as soon as you can, and then you'll know you've done your best work. After that I imagine it's just practice and experience.

I just wanted to agree with xXDashIVXx here. I did some of this on my suit too be honest, and in the end it never happens and you're left with a bunch of spots to 'get back too'. My boots in particular need a lot of work (though it didn't help that my roomate threw out the first set I made, so I wasn't exactly feeling it).
Do as much right as soon as you can, and then you'll know you've done your best work. After that I imagine it's just practice and experience.
HOW THE ACTUAL HEGGIN HUCK DOES THAT HAPPEN!?!?!?!? :eek:

HOW THE ACTUAL HEGGIN HUCK DOES THAT HAPPEN!?!?!?!? :eek:
He was taking out the trash, saw a box with spraypaint shadows, odd items inside, covered and smelling of spray paint, and thought "yup, no need for doubts here." and threw them out. Guess step 1 is have a death wish?

Anyways, it was hard to be mad at him though, he's as innocent as a puppy and gave me a free wings in apology (he works there).

Ok so I’m going start the coating on the helmet soon. Just need to get the mask with the filter. What rating do I need because they are rated in microns?
Also there are so many options for the resin stuff when I read through a guide that I have run into an issue of not knowing which kind to do. If you have a recommendation for what kind of coating thing I should do, please let me know.

If you're just doing fiberglass, then fiberglass resin from Walmart or similar place will be just fine.

As for your respirator, I have no ideas about microns, but you'll want a good respirator for sure.

If you're just doing fiberglass, then fiberglass resin from Walmart or similar place will be just fine.

As for your respirator, I have no ideas about microns, but you'll want a good respirator for sure.
Thanks!

Also working on my chest plate and it’s going well. So far I’m filling in gaps and sanding it down. Here’s a shot of it.

Wish I could get the gaps better but it looks good to me.
Edit- after a minute of sanding and gap filling I got a section of the chest really smooth

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back