WinterHuntsman’s ODST build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good my man. Are your blades sharp? If so, are you using a metal straight edge for your cuts? Those seems look good but there's room for improvement.

I like the look of that shoulder, and the amount of detail you're putting in is bomb. Keep up the good work!

Looks good my man. Are your blades sharp? If so, are you using a metal straight edge for your cuts? Those seems look good but there's room for improvement.

I like the look of that shoulder, and the amount of detail you're putting in is bomb. Keep up the good work!
Blade was dulling at the end of the shoulder. So I’ll be going through a lot more blades than I thought. The issue of the seems arise from creating a sharp bend. I cut a channel like thing in the foam so it folds easier but they are never perfect as it either goes through the foam or does not remove enough or on the right angle making the pieces not want to join together in a nice fashion.
Oh and for cutting I used a scoring method, it put my knife on a nice rail the made a clean straight cut.

A sharpener will help you save lots of cash rather than you burning through those blades. Sometimes it is better to cut all the way through the foam instead of just leveling the back and folding it, depending on the situation...

This is looking great so far, we need more progress!!!!!!!

I’m working on the other shoulder today. While it is looking better it still going to need a lot of work like the first shoulder. I was wondering, is it possible to do a bonding like coat on the foam to fill imperfections and then sand it down to a smooth and even look?

I’m working on the other shoulder today. While it is looking better it still going to need a lot of work like the first shoulder. I was wondering, is it possible to do a bonding like coat on the foam to fill imperfections and then sand it down to a smooth and even look?
This is a sticky subject. This is where higher density and more expensive foams are handy because they dont have as many imperfections and pours. That is a big pro over the convinient and cheap floor mat foam. I would thing your best bet would be finding a good paint(primer, sealant, the whole nine yards) that will cover up and smooth out all these imperfections. You can also take a putty knife and rub woodland scenics foam putty into the holes in the foam, hopefully filling them in, but some are sooo small I wont guarantee it will be perfect... ExCeLLuR8 , how is your paint working? How minimal are the creased and poors, while maintaining a good detailed score?

OH, ALMOST FORGOT! Make sure you are heat sealing your foam with a heatgun or the sort so the poors close up a bit before painting or anything! This will definitely help

Ok shoulders are now complete.

They look ok. I’m my own worst critic, when it comes to this. I’m great with small details and going back and fixing stuff, but it’s hard because mistakes can lead to restarting the whole piece and the blade fills so fast.

They look like ODST shoulders, so I’m happy as they are my first attempt.

Edit- Just figured out a way to fix those imperfections. Very thin foam I scrape from the half inch stuff and lots of patience.

Last edited:
Ok shoulders are now complete.
View attachment 270070

They look ok. I’m my own worst critic, when it comes to this. I’m great with small details and going back and fixing stuff, but it’s hard because mistakes can lead to restarting the whole piece and the blade fills so fast.

They look like ODST shoulders, so I’m happy as they are my first attempt.

Edit- Just figured out a way to fix those imperfections. Very thin foam I scrape from the half inch stuff and lots of patience.

Looking good.

For the bigger gaps, fill them in with foam slivers, like you're doing. For the little stuff, a tube of kwik seal will help a ton.

Evil Ted has a tut. on YouTube about seams, lemme see if I can find it.....

Here we go! :

Almost done with the chest. It’s the perfect size now. I have really improved on my cutting and gluing skills.

I got great progress but I need a break to go read a book, talk with people, do summer school work. So I’m going to put this to the side for a few days so I can get a little break.

And done!
While not perfect I can put it on and off. If I made it go further up the neck I would not be able to take it off if I put it on.
I’ll need to do patch work and make the breast plate but this is a large piece done.

So now I’m back to working on the helmet and that iconic chest plate.

Those shoulder straps were the hardest part and I’m not happy with them. All the re adjusting made s mess of the top corner of the foam

Last edited:
So I’m having an issue with seams. When I put the chest on, the glue that holds one the front half and back half breaks on my right side. No clue why it breaks as there are spots like the shoulders that are more flimsy. Any idea how to strengthen this spot or prevent it?
I’ll post a photo of that spot if you guys want to see it.

So I’m having an issue with seams. When I put the chest on, the glue that holds one the front half and back half breaks on my right side. No clue why it breaks as there are spots like the shoulders that are more flimsy. Any idea how to strengthen this spot or prevent it?
Re glue it, if you used contact cement, you didnt let it dry long enough, or it was left out all day and lost its sticky-ness. If you used multiple coats it sould be more than fine.

I am going to beat the shoe goo fan club so jokes on you guys! I'm taking over!

Step 1) reglue piece.
Step 2) extra glue it)
Step 3) lots of shoe goo to hold in the seams
Step 4) break it. Oh wait, you cant.

Bad seams can come from stress of the foam wanting to straighten out. Before adhering parts that are curved together a good idea would be to take a heat gun, warm up the foam and curve them into shape.

Ok, so going to work on the helmet for awhile so there most likely won’t be any updates from me until the helmet is done.
Out of curiosity what’s the next step after assembling the foam pieces? I assume there has to be some gap filling and sanding, but I feel like there is more as I doubt paint could be applied directly and not be chipped apart by bending foam.
So now that the chest is assembled with a few gaps here or there, where do I go next? Couldn’t find that info in any of the tutorials I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back