Zarnel's Halo Reach Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!! if u dont minde me asking, and i hope this hasent already been said, what kind of plastic did u use for the visor? i got some thick plexiglass frome lowes. is ur stuff thin?

awesome you figured out the visor for the pilot helmet,, awesome!!!!! first one that i have seen :D

nice visor. i have a question though. the vacuum-former that you use, is it a professional or oven method? if oven, then are you or did you get any kind of texture on the finished product or completely clear?

I had the first visors done professionally. But even with professional help, there is a texture. One major problem is the mold you use. If it hasn't been sanded to a mirror finish, the hot plastic will pick up on the smallest detail and capture it. Then there can be bubbling within the plastic from getting it to hot, and dirt from the environment getting onto the molten surface.

I can still see out, but the vision is a little blurry.

Hey!! if u dont minde me asking, and i hope this hasent already been said, what kind of plastic did u use for the visor? i got some thick plexiglass frome lowes. is ur stuff thin?

I used a plastic called PETG. It's the same material used in medicine blister packs. I used 1/8 inch thickness. I'll probably go with something a little thinner next time: A 4 ft by 8 ft sheet cost $70, and I only got three visors out of it.:(

*Punches Zarnel, Takes Helmet!* I ish very angry.........BECAUSE YOUR TOO AWESOME :'(

Zarnel used Spartan Laser.
It's supper effective!
SPRTNBD50 has fainted!
Zarnel takes back Helmet.

Hand plates built today. Took me a little more than five hours to heat, shape, cut and drill the three layers for each plate. Used .0125 inch and 1/8 inch thick polystyrene for the layers and solvent cement to hold everything together.
200748_192686894102970_100000849828204_437487_7916798_n.jpg

In other news; I'm still working on gathering supplies for my visor tinting experiment. The gold-mirror tint sheet arrived last week. The gold spray can was purchased a week before. I'm getting better with my new airbrush, but the aluminum metalizer paint is still in the mail.

I've also been building my own vacform machine. It's almost done except for the steel frame for holding the plastic sheet, which still needs to be welded together. Once that is done, I should be able to make my own visors without relying on someone else's equipment, and get 15 visors from one 4' by 8' sheet. And I can use it for a bunch of different parts in the future.

I'm not dead just busy with life.

I finally gave up trying to make a gold tinted visor for my helmet. I sunk way to much money in various airbrushing equipment and paints, heat shrinking gold window tint sheets, and spray paints. Nothing worked the way I wanted, and that's what I've been doing for the last couple months.

Having seen the Pilot helmet and paint job of TheBradinator, I decided that a combination of Black and green would go well together for me, so . . .

315899_244859135552412_100000849828204_657970_7486957_n.jpg

Now that I have a working vacuform machine, I'm currently learning how to build my own molds. I'm starting with two needlers (just to get the technique right) then I can form and mold the various armor segments.

I must say, that's a great helmet. (stares at screen in awe) Can't wait to see you get back to work on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back