2 Helmets 1 Rifle WIP & A lot of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent looking rilfe. What will you do after it's fully built? Are you going to be adding resin and fiberglass? Bondo? Making it solid in some way for reproductions?

I just use photoshop, but there are all kinds of programs to use for that. I think windows has a way to edit photos and crop them out at certain resolutions.

i will have a look at it. i never croped my pictures because i dont want to hide something behind bad resolutions, but the loadingtime is an argument against it^^

Everything you have posted here looks great EdMcSmoke, it goes to show how much papercraft can train someone in mastering putting together something designed to be assembled using Pepakura.

glad you like it that much :) im really enjoying papercrafting, and ive build a lot of models before i found out that i can build armor & weapons with it

Excellent looking rilfe. What will you do after it's fully built? Are you going to be adding resin and fiberglass? Bondo? Making it solid in some way for reproductions?

Thanks, i like the rifle too. Yes i want to make them all solid with resin and fiberglass, a filler like bondo is also ordered.
The only problem is i have no experience with it, i never used resin or fiberglass or bondo before.
But i have build some terrariums before from scratch incl backgrounds and everything. (Python & Cornsnake Housing)
So i hope i manage the building armors as well as the building terrariums.

But the 405th is a great help for me :)
Thanks to everybody for sharing creativity out there

So today is the day... the resin and fiberglas arrived and i finished the rifle.
It looks very good with the barrel, but i like it without also. So i will resin the parts like they are and try to make everything attachable.

Here are some pictures of the complete paper rifle:
compfinishedrifle3.jpg

compfinishedrifle4.jpg

compfinishedrifle5.jpg

compfinishedrifle6.jpg

and these are all components disassembled:
compfinishedrifle1.jpg

compfinishedrifle2.jpg

i hope i can start these weekend with resin. I dont know yet if i should start with the helmets or the rifle...

stunning rifle! thats going to look amazing when done :D

sooo today i´ve started my first try with resin, im using an old lego paper helmet ive build a long time ago.... but it has a lot of buckels because the paper got wet while storaged in my basement.... so i can use the helmet for bondo practive as well.
i let you know how it worked with the resin

Ok resin the lego helmet was a sucess i guess, the helmet got nice stability over night, and the paper got no extra buckels.
So i think i can dare myself at the other helmets and the rifle, but im not quite sure if i shouldnt test fiberglas on the inside of the lego helmet first.

So the StormTrooper Helmet is ready for bondo and painting. Ive used 2 coats resin on the outside and 1 on the inside before using fiberglas to cover the complete inside of the helmet. Now its very strong and got a nice outside, so i think i dont have to use a lot of bondo after a first sanding...
Here are some Pictures of the Helmet:

compstormtrooperresinfi.jpg

so the next step will be sanding the outside and bondo practice on my lego helmet^^

thanks for the nice words guys :)

wow, I am surprised at the cutting skill you have let alone the gluing...no craftrobo?
nope, i dont have a craftrobo... these little wondermachines are really great i guess, but i dont wanna spend ~200€ for one :(

-------
edit:
The first bondo / sanding practice is done... and i guess i didnt mess it up, it has some little holes but a second little bondo coat will fix this hopefully. But i´m really happy about the shape, it looks nearly round^^
compspachteloben2.jpg

Hey sag mal was hast du überhaupt für ein Kleber benutzt.
Ich kann nämlich nur so gelbe kleine Fitzel auf den bildern?!
Ach ja und dein Peppen und deine Glasfaser arbeit sind unglaublich.

Danke, Zero2o2

WOW great job! what are you doing to keep your folds so crisp and straight?

What do you mean? the paperwork or the work with fiberglas and resin?

Hey sag mal was hast du überhaupt für ein Kleber benutzt.
Ich kann nämlich nur so gelbe kleine Fitzel auf den bildern?!
Ach ja und dein Peppen und deine Glasfaser arbeit sind unglaublich.

Danke, Zero2o2

Danke für deine Komplimente :)
Ich benutze Pattex Compact , der kleber ist zwar gelb, aber für die festigkeit ist der pressdruck und nicht die dauer entscheidend.

just took some pictures of my bondo progress, the face is missing, but the rest looks good i guess.

compspachtel501.jpg

compspachtel502.jpg

compspachtel503.jpg

hope you like it ;)

Looking really good there! Can't wait to see the finished project!

~James

Thanks, i cant wait too ^^ But im working to slow and got less time for it :(

But im done with the biggest part i guess. It needs a little reshape here and some hole and scratch fixing there, but i hope thats going to be a fast job.

So here are pictures before and after sanding :

Before:
compspachtelkomplett1.jpg

compspachtelkomplett2.jpg

And after sanding:
compgeschliffen1.jpg

compgeschliffen2.jpg

You may be working slow, but it's certainly reflecting well in your work! This is looking amazing.

I am really looking forward to seeing this thing finished :)

I totally second what Hugh said.

I'm also one of those slow-working perfectionists... believe me, it's painful, expensive, it takes long and sometimes its not even fun. But once you're wearing the thing, looking at yourself and thinking: "Damn, do I look good...", it'll have been worth it ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back