1st Build 3D Printed Halo 3 'Finish the Fight' Chief/Spartan Build

I had a fall going down some stairs at a con yesterday. My chest piece took the blow, but it cracked in a few places. Another awesome Spartan helped me glue the cracks and we used silver sharpy to hide the filament, but the chest is still damaged a decent amount.
20230521_180140.jpg

Most obvious are the two large horizontal cracks, but there are also a lot of paint chips/scuffs and the magnets I use to attach the chest piece to the back piece were also damaged or destroyed.

Unfortunately I won't be able to fix the chest for months due to my uni finals so I'll be going to my country's biggest con with the damage visible. I'm upset about it but hey, these things happen

So in June when I finish uni, the current priorities are:
  • Repair the chest
  • Repaint the helmet
  • Restrap and repaint the boots
  • Finish the shin inserts
  • Add missing details like the waist pieces
  • Finish weathering the whole suit
And with that, Chief will be done. I reckon if I focus, it'll be finished mid-to-late July. Worst comes to worst, I'll have to remake the chest piece from scratch and then who knows when I'll finish

Hey SIERRA720, if you get a chance would you be able to post some detail photos of the different attachment points and whatnot under the armor? I know you used backpack straps on the torso piece, but I'd love to see exactly how those are attached, how you were able to mount the magnets to the sides/shoulders, how your boot pieces work, etc. I did see your strapping/suiting up video on Insta which was super helpful, I think I'm just interested in closer looks at some of the details. I'm I really love your build and I'm using a lot of the same files that you are, hence my love of your sharing your process. Hope the repairs go well, still looks spectacular!

Hey SIERRA720, if you get a chance would you be able to post some detail photos of the different attachment points and whatnot under the armor? I know you used backpack straps on the torso piece, but I'd love to see exactly how those are attached, how you were able to mount the magnets to the sides/shoulders, how your boot pieces work, etc. I did see your strapping/suiting up video on Insta which was super helpful, I think I'm just interested in closer looks at some of the details. I'm I really love your build and I'm using a lot of the same files that you are, hence my love of your sharing your process. Hope the repairs go well, still looks spectacular!
Hey mate, sorry for the late response. I've been flat out with my uni finals but I really appreciate the kind words! I'm glad you've found my suit-up video to be helpful too :)

I'm happy to share more pics of the strapping but I just want to say the internals of the suit are still ugly due to being incomplete. All the strapping was done during a con crunch so it was all pretty rushed

Anyway here's the upper body:
20230616_132715.jpg

This is the back plate. I've got four magnets that connect to the chest, with the lower two supported with some little button snaps. The metal anchors are where the backpack straps connect but I may modify the strapping in future. Under the shoulder sections, there are also elastic straps that will connect to the bicep pieces. The tape has also been my quick solution to stop potential wear on the undersuit until I can properly finish the internals

20230616_132740.jpg

The inside of the chest is pretty ugly due to the damage. The only spare time I've had so far has been spent repairing the magnets, the excess glue was the only thing we could do at the convention to repair the crack. Anyway apart from the magnets there are two anchor points that can connect to the back plate with strapping for extra security

20230616_132822.jpg

The bicep connects to two button snaps, at the top and the bottom

20230616_132845.jpg

And some elastic in the forearm to connect to the bicep. Probably a better way to do the forearm but this was my quick solution

Lower body:

20230616_132311.jpg

First off, got a humble belt to hold the leg pieces up

20230616_132512.jpg

The groin piece goes over the belt and basically just hangs onto another elastic belt. Some button snaps with elastic are also attached to the sides and they connect to the posterior plate

20230616_132540.jpg

Locations of where the button snaps attach in the posterior plate, this setup will likely change when I finish the whole space diaper though lol

20230616_132327.jpg

Top of the thighs connect to the previously mentioned belt

20230616_132351.jpg

With two buckles that connect to the knee piece, supporting it and keeping it straight

20230616_132429.jpg

Finally, the inside of the knee

Hope this helps you out! And if you're unsure about anything else feel free to let me know :)

With the future timeline, I have a convention this weekend (and first ever 405th meet-up woooo) before finishing my uni semester on Tuesday. After that, I'm going to spend a month grinding out Chief and hopefully finish the base armour.

First up though, I'll have to strip the chest, seal the cracks and repaint it .. I'll have to strip and repaint the resin helmet too which I'm pretty nervous about. So if anyone has any advice for avoiding failure, please feel free to let me know lol

In the meantime, just got these edited pics from a photographer from my first con. If all goes well, Chief will look like this again before I can move on to the finishing touches!

FB_IMG_1686876258551.jpgFB_IMG_1686876264410.jpg

Lower body:

View attachment 332551
First off, got a humble belt to hold the leg pieces up

View attachment 332555
The groin piece goes over the belt and basically just hangs onto another elastic belt. Some button snaps with elastic are also attached to the sides and they connect to the posterior plate

View attachment 332556
Locations of where the button snaps attach in the posterior plate, this setup will likely change when I finish the whole space diaper though lol

View attachment 332552
Top of the thighs connect to the previously mentioned belt

View attachment 332553
With two buckles that connect to the knee piece, supporting it and keeping it straight

View attachment 332554
Finally, the inside of the knee

Hope this helps you out! And if you're unsure about anything else feel free to let me know :)
These are invaluable, thank you so much for sharing!

This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back