405th Veteran Chat Discussion - IMPORTANT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry everyone did not get in.. we waited for joiners and took as many as we could. The meeting is over now, and I'll have my notes up in a sec..

Again, sorry. for next time we need to have everyone's Skype names in advance right?

Notes from first '405th Veterans' meeting - Sean's notes

In attendance: Jake (xtremetactics), BobvanDijk, James Graham (Hirgon), Walter Green (Spase), Tahuphoenix (Tahu), Cliophina (Phxix), Lorenzo Maffin (Shadowsail) Adam Grumbo (Adam), Sean Bradley (me). And probably some that I missed.

This meeting's purpose: To identify current problems with the 405th forums and to brainstorm solutions and action items to resolve these problems.

First issue: stickies, overcrowding of information, forum organization. The first suggestion of simply linking all the current stickies in a single stickied thread will not work because the active threads will continue to be bumped making organizing the stickied threads impossible.

It was suggested to separate the stickies from the discussion forums to a separate FAQ section. Adams has a template which would allow for a separated FAQ/Tutorial section. This section would retain the current stickied topics as published articles, in a static format, however for each article there would be a discussion thread linked.

For this migration we would need a FAQ Project manager, who would oversee the publishing of the stickies as articles in the FAQ section, enlist help where needed, and update the FAQ's when requested. Adam is going to write up a position description for this job.

Second issue: Removal of the Elite Gallery. the elite gallery will be dissolved, the threads in the elite gallery will be moved back to the appropriate sub-forums. A new 'Featured Members' section will highlight noteworthy individual members and projects. The 'Top 25' lists that are being created now will be integrated in this section.

Third issue: Donations for Pepakura creators. It was proposed that the 405th's pepakura files will be hosted by the 405th in a database similar to the 'Halo Reach Files' database thread. Everyone agreed that this was an excellent model for how the new pep database shoudl look. In addition Adam would like to institute a voluntary donation system for people who want to contribute to the creators of the pep files. Donations won't be mandatory for downloading, but beside each creators name would be a donation button for those who want to pay back to the file modelers.

We will also need a Pepakura Section Moderator that will work with Adam to design the new Pep Database and will become head moderator or the Pep Forums. Adam will write up the job description.

Fourth issue: we need a new Editor-in-Chief for the publishing team. This person will work with Adam to manage the writing and publishing of 405th articles. Adam is writing up the full job description.

Fifth issue: New Classifieds section rules. We discussed the need for new rules to be instituted in the Classifieds section to govern the way sales are conducted. We all agreed that the RPF (Replica Prop Forum) has an excellent model for this and that we would emulate the way that every thread in the classifieds is indentified by the type of sale. The forced classification system would be similar to the RPF thread, every thread would have to adopt a similar naming system: FS (For Sale), WTB (Want to Buy) INT, (Interest Thread) etc

In addition to this change some new rules were decided on. Interest threads cannot solicit money, only finished work can be sold with the exception of 'services offered' threads. Sellers may not solicit money for work that has not been created, molded or otherwise readied for sale. No money should be involved in interest threads.

A new limitation will be also put in place for limited runs of items in the classifieds: Only one run can be conducted by a seller every thirty days. This rule is intended to prevent a single seller from flooding the market with their products, or setting up multiple runs of different items at the same time. These rules safeguard sellers as well as buyers.

Additionally Adam will look into whether the threads in the classifieds can be set to automatically lock or close when the 30 days has been reached. The threads should stay visible so that buyers can still access contact info of the seller as long as needed. In lieu of making this possible, a new Classifieds Moderator will need to close threads 30 days after they have started.

At this point we reviewed our information and accessed the new positions needed:

1. Pepakura Project Leader/Moderator
2. FAQ/Tutorial Moderator
3. Editor-in-Chief of the Publishing Team
4. Administrator/Community Manager

In addition to these positions, a new moderator system will be organized by these positions:

1. Head Moderator
2. Global Moderators
3. Individual Forum 'Leaders'

We discussed that the appointment process for naming new people to these positions will be a democratic system: After Adam writes up descriptions for each position, applications will be accepted for each position. The discussions of applications will take place in another conference meeting, and appointment decisions will be made by current 405th staff.

It was also decided that inactive moderators must be removed to make way for the new moderators.

Lastly we decided on a date and time for these conference meetings to take place: the meetings will be held every 1st Sunday of each month at 4:00pm Eastern Standard Time, beginning with the next meeting to occur on August 1st 2010. Adam will be away on his honeymoon, but the meeting will still take place in his absence.

In the meantime, Adam will write up descriptions to all the above positions and pass them onto Sean (bradlesk@hotmail.com) for presentation to the members and Q&A. XtremeTactics (Jake) will assist by accessing specific projects and making progress where possible..

I think that's everything I have.. feel free to fill in if I missed anything else.

-Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
You hit the nail on the head Sean, well done for keeping track of everything!
I know it's totally irrelevant but my names are spelt wrong lmao

-Phi

Everything sounds great I may have to try out for that Pepakura Project Leader/Moderator when it opens for applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything sounds good. Question about the elite forum thing though--

Why disband it if it'll be replaced by something similar? What are the complaints about it, originally, I guess.

With regards to the Elite section: I don't know if this option was raised or not how about "archiving" the Elite gallery so that we can still view them but not add to them? I'm assuming that disolve = deleted and lost forever.

Hello everyone. Not sure how many of you remember me as I've taken a leave from an active 405th enlistment for some time now. For a little memory boost, I helped in starting the Source during the first issue and half of the second (Editor-in-Chief). However, I've been coming back on recently to check in on what is going on with the community. I am personally disappointed that I missed today's meeting having just found out about it. However, it seems from Sean's notes that everything went well during the meeting. I've decided that given the decent amount of knowledge I have collected over the past 2 years could be of use to the community and I would like to aid in this "reboot." I'll be checking around the forums and helping in any way I can. I'd hate for the community which aided me so much to go through a period of trouble and madness.

Sean, you can put me down for the next meeting. I'll clear my schedule for it. My Skype address is: Adulese. Also, feel free to contact me there or on MSN (adulese@hotmail.com) at any time.

- Adulese | Joe

Ill probally be able to make next meeting just tell me the time and date and ill set my clock. More than likely i will have nothing to do so I can make it.

My skype is cayoke2.

Fantastic, thanks for taking notes, Sean. This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. I like every idea on here.

And hey Adulese! Welcome back! I do remember ya.

As a noob first I'd like to say congratulations to Adam on his upcoming wedding. Second I would like to thank the veterans for all the work they have done on the site and in making all those wonderful pep files and how to videos. Third from a noob point of view the changes proposed sound GREAT, it will really make the site easier to use. I only wished I had join earlier so that I could help out more.

Well even though I wasnt in the meeting, those points sound pretty good, but there is other stuff we need to cover.

Iguess I will have to apply as a mod, because all I do is roam around the forums everyday :p

Xtreme, I tried Instant Messaging you and you didn't respond, I'm guessing I was late? Sorry, not great with this time zone business. Next time around I'd like to take part though. I'm glad that things are finally getting sorted out though, looks like you guys are making progress. :)

Thank you so much for taking notes in meeting Sean! Some of the things I wanted to bring up were covered in depth even though I was unable to attend. The solution for the stickies sounds fantastic, and the all encompassing moderator solution is awesome! You guys clearly made some great progress. I would love to try to be a part of the next meeting since this one didn't work out. I still can't use skype, so maybe I can find a solution to help contribute if the next meeting isn't done on MSN. I'm a bit sad to say I'm going to be absent from the 405th this next week, but hopefully I won't miss too much in this development process.

Great notes Sean! i don't think you missed a thing!

I cannot wait for some of these to take action and i cannot wait to turn in my application for a Forum "Leader"....heck maybe ill get with the new Editor-In-Chief and help out with articles...

Also Sean my username is Shadowshail....missed a letter there. Thanks again for a great meeting can't wait till this kicks off with a BOOM!

Great job guys! I really wish I had been a part of this. If there's anything I can do to help hit me up! I'd love to have a job around here. btw, whatever happened to the Q&A staff? I remember how much of a help that was to the young members when they needed help. Per the notes, the staff would of course need to have specific "categories" to cut down on questions like "where's the stickies at?" etc. Some examples would be like, "pepakura designer support", "molding support", "sculpting support". Just another way to help keep the boards clean of unneeded threads. Keep me posted! email: mchammertime94@yahoo.com

I love how much progress you guys are making! Unfortunately I'm swamped with school and my Reach projects, but I'll try to get more involved in the future. Looks like you all have a great handle on things though. :)

Sorry I missed it guys. I didn't find the thread til today,but this sounds awesome. I love the 405th and I definitely wanna help more now that I'm out of school. All your guys ideas look great, can't wait to see some of them put into action.

All that I can say is... wow! (I just got back from about 3 weeks of vacation away from any internet connection, and Shadowshail told me to check this out.) I must say that some of what is being implemented is fantastic and probably long overdue. Hopefully, we can make the 405th an even better place. Now that I'm back (and with a computer again), I'd be happy to help out in any way possible. Unfortunately, I don't have Skype; however, I'm quite happy with the direction this is going.

Cheers!
Sniperbaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back