Acenat, Mark Vi Suit... Looking Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you ARE rockin, Nat...

You know what... I think you need to carry around a Gravity Hammer, (muaahaahaahaaa!!), not that girly little pistol. I think it would be WAY too cool to see a girl spartain with a grav hammer as tall as she is. :D

Quartermain3000 said:
Wow, you ARE rockin, Nat...

You know what... I think you need to carry around a Gravity Hammer, (muaahaahaahaaa!!), not that girly little pistol. I think it would be WAY too cool to see a girl spartain with a grav hammer as tall as she is. :D

AMEN to that! :D

That would be so freaken SWEET!!! Or a Spartan Laser would work too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ahah a spartan laser! ive had my eye on that one for a while! i really want to make a big weapon, already have big tubes for the rocket launcher :D

okay but anyway i need some help!!

anyone have a good method for trimming fiberglass? im thinking of trimming with a stanley knife then sanding the area to make it smooth, then primer on top then sand again..

please correct me if its a bad way.. :unsure

heres some pics, ive fiberglassed both shoes with 2 layers so they are solid as! and both shins, right shoulder, right forearm and right handplate.

AceNat said:

anyone have a good method for trimming fiberglass? im thinking of trimming with a stanley knife then sanding the area to make it smooth, then primer on top then sand again..

I'd try a Dremel cutting tool. Since those edges are hard you should just be able to shave them off/down with the right bit.

Yeah a Dremel tool will probably be the easiest and best way to go. My dad has one and I'm soo stealing I mean borrowing it for this project. :p

Monicator said:
Yeah a Dremel tool will probably be the easiest and best way to go. My dad has one and I'm soo stealing I mean borrowing it for this project. :p

Nicktendo said:
I'd try a Dremel cutting tool. Since those edges are hard you should just be able to shave them off/down with the right bit.

awesome thanks guys! i shall have to look into getting one as none of my parents or anyone i know builds or sculpts etc..

hmm glad i saved some money for this :D

Don't use those breakable cutting disks on the dremel those things are dangerous as hell. You need to grab a decent sawblade bit for it. I forget the real name of the stupid thing, lol. Also make double sure to be wearing some eye protection when you cut that stuff.

Use a dremel with a fiberglass cut off wheel. Like others advised avoid using the flimsy ones that can shatter. Always wear eye protection. At the rate you are progressing you are going to be suited up in no time!

Yeah, it really sucks when the blades break and the fly at you. They have that metal cutoff wheel which ill probably grab one day,Im sick of beign scared when dremeling lol...

AceNat said:

Before you get too excited using power tools... Go into your daddy's tool drawer, grab his tin snips, and use those to cut off your excess. If you have a ton of those tiny hairs, then try some nail clippers. Dremel's rock, but they are way overkill, and way slow just for trimming off the extra flashing on your glass job. There's less cleanup with tin snips as well... and I'm always game for less cleanup.

Never thought of using tins snips... With a dremel, just watch your "off hand" (the one not holding the dremel). If you are worried about it, when you start cutting you will notice the dremel will pull in one direction due to the rotating blade. Just be sure to keep your hand away from where any catch on the material will pull the dremel. If you are going to be using a hand as a guide, keep both hands on the dremel and extend you finger onto the part with lots of room away from the cutting head. That way if the dremel jumps, you have both hands on the tool and they will both move in sync with the dremel, decreasing the risk. Basically, take it slow, and be careful. Take frequent small breaks.

[quote name=\'Brandon McClain\' date=\'09 April 2010 - 02:32 AM\' timestamp=\'1270794749\' post=\'413265\']
Never thought of using tins snips... With a dremel, just watch your "off hand" (the one not holding the dremel). If you are worried about it, when you start cutting you will notice the dremel will pull in one direction due to the rotating blade. Just be sure to keep your hand away from where any catch on the material will pull the dremel. If you are going to be using a hand as a guide, keep both hands on the dremel and extend you finger onto the part with lots of room away from the cutting head. That way if the dremel jumps, you have both hands on the tool and they will both move in sync with the dremel, decreasing the risk. Basically, take it slow, and be careful. Take frequent small breaks.
[/quote]

I can DEFINITELY attest to this! not just with a Dremel, but with any sharp, cutting tool/object. (Believe me... I have recieved scars and stiches from everything from Dremel and hand blades to hard drives and microwaves (now THAT is a fun one to explain... lol) ) The moral of the story? Be careful and ALWAYS pay attention! lol

Yes, bucking dremmels suck. I like to use the flexible shaft on my dremel, that way I'm not fumbling with that bulky tool, but rather something more like a fat pen... much more managable. The only annoying thing is that you have to hang the dremel above you, and keep as little bend in the shaft as possible, cause it gets hot.

alright! thanks for your suggestions, in the end i went with the dremel as i knew i was going to be buying one anyway for detailing.

its works like a charm, dont worry people i am using the correct part and protecting myself, but its really good, ive trimmed all the excess fiberglass and have sanded edges where it was wonky or bent :D

so i shall be starting the 'bondo' process on my shoes on monday as my week is now over and im back to work and studying, i shall get some pics tonight and update tomorrow of where i am at :p

Liq said:
Don't use those breakable cutting disks on the dremel those things are dangerous as hell. You need to grab a decent sawblade bit for it. I forget the real name of the stupid thing, lol. Also make double sure to be wearing some eye protection when you cut that stuff.

Yeah I dont have any of the metal cutting disks and I can vouch that the breakable ones are scary and dangerous as hell I'm always sure to make sure the dremel is spinning so that when it breaks pieces fly away from me and I wear like 3 layers of clothes and I wish I had a faceshield, overall too much trouble. I need to go and buy a metal cutting disk. And you should too.

Other than that, the armor is looking really good! Keep it up!

AceNat said:
alright! thanks for your suggestions, in the end i went with the dremel as i knew i was going to be buying one anyway for detailing.

its works like a charm, dont worry people i am using the correct part and protecting myself, but its really good, ive trimmed all the excess fiberglass and have sanded edges where it was wonky or bent :D

so i shall be starting the 'bondo' process on my shoes on monday as my week is now over and im back to work and studying, i shall get some pics tonight and update tomorrow of where i am at :p

Leave it to a girl to start with the shoes. :p

[quote name=\\\\\\\'Quartermain3000\\\\\\\' date=\\\\\\\'15 April 2010 - 03:57 AM\\\\\\\' timestamp=\\\\\\\'1271318258\\\\\\\' post=\\\\\\\'415587\\\\\\\']Leave it to a girl to start with the shoes. :p[/quote]

HAHAHA! Seriously! (Albeit a girl with some MAJOR skill at Armor making and could probably dominate half us guys in Halo multiplayer :p)

\"Is that a girl? With a GRAV HAMMER?!? HAHAHAHA!!! Oh wait, what the #@%*!\" :)

i just registered and im a total noob and dont know how to do anything yet but thats an awesome armor!

is this your first try?

i have to ask:is this just paper?and what kind of paper is this?

i noticed the other people saying that the scaling is really good.well im a noob so it looks awesome to me.is scaling really that hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back