Age discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan137

As a fairly young member, this is both pro and con for me.

1. It would be cool to be recognized by the government. We would be able to broadcast ourselves to the world and attract many people. We would parrallel the 501st.

2. My age is an issue. Unless the group specifically states that younger people can join, I will pretty much get thrown out.

I think the site's redesign is actually a sign of this upcoming charter. It looks a lot slicker and cleaner than the older one did (I salute you, older design!). I would expect that the next step would be a redesign of the main page, adding new content and hopefully a group news area. There could also be an organized group of representatives who would go to certain gaming and comic events all dressed in identical armor.

Whoops, I rambled. :p

Ooh! Maybe we could have a store! It could sell pages of pepakura that have been ROBO cut! And T-shirts!

I have to agre with 137 because i too would get as you put it "kicked out" I still don't know much but if we prove we aren't just junkiees we actually have armor and complement the site then Adam might let us stay on but it isn't fact. Doom would fit the age range but he is a mod so obviosly he won't get kicked out. just because you are under the "legal age limit" doesn't mean you can't be a vital part of the 405th. We are the people who will rise to the occasion. We are a generation caught in darkness so this is where we have to prove to the world that we can fullfil our portion of the life. (dang it I hate it when i preach)

Shadow Dragon

Spartan137 said:
2. My age is an issue. Unless the group specifically states that younger people can join, I will pretty much get thrown out.

Shadow Dragon said:
I have to agre with 137 because i too would get as you put it "kicked out"

If you read through the thread, you'd realize that the FORUMS aren't going to be changed. You'll be allowed to stay here and engage in discussion with the whole bunch of us.

This charter is for the members of the "Official 405th," which doesn't exist yet.

<STUPID METAPHOR>
Think of it like a ladder. No one is asking you to get off the ladder, or even to step down a rung or two. The charter will simply make the ladder taller for those who wish (and are able) to climb higher, within the restrictions outlined in the charter.
</STUPID METAPHOR>

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right. My bad.

But still, it would kind of isolate the younger members from the group untill they were 18/21. We technically would not be allowed to go to public events wearing 405th sanctions. We could go armored, but I, for example, would need to build a second arm piece because I plan to put the 405th logo on my right forarm. We would also not be allowed to man any possible 405th booths (although we shouldn't anyhow)

I know that you can create groups that allow younger people to be in it. The BSA and GSA are two examples (scouts). I'm not going to go as far as too say that the older members wouldn't register the group as not accepting younger members on purpose, but I think that people <21 arn't allowed in groups with people >21, for some strange gov. reason.

Maybe the 405th could have a sort of "Initiate" program (If the feds allow it), were younger members can partake in some if not most/all of the same things the older members can. It would, again, kind of keep us involved in the community.

But it would be great to be recognized by the government, and stick it to the 501st.

With the age requirement Adam and everyone working on the charter has to be specific to the very inch and detail like the 501st, age limit being 18 would benefit from any mishaps in the near future, its all about the law and how to abide by it, its not that they are shutting the younger audience out its just they will have to do it in order to create the Club, like with the 501st their age req is 18, b/c they cant be eligible to take responsibility for minors. Alot of todays law restrict on what can or can not happen, we just have to be patient and let Adam and the gang work out the kinks and dents to get it perfect for everyone.

I can't say what has or hasn't been decided but, you younger guys (under 18) have to understand you're minors. there are so many legal reasons why you couldn't be members of a club like this its not even funny. Can you think what the media would say about a club of grown men that wear costumes and hang out with 14 year old boys? And what type of person a club like that would attract?....Sounds a bit like the cathloc church to me. Seriously, work it out, an age limit would be in the best interests of everyone.

Discuss the age issue all you want, but in the end it's breath wasted and feathers ruffled that don't need to be. The major issues will all get it's due course in the discussions of making the 405th Infantry Division a real club. I can tell you it's been mentioned, vaguely here and there... but we haven't even made it that far yet, not officially.

And as for being like the "cathloc church" whats cathloc... is that a new religion?.... I am Catholic... lets not go there... ;)

I am Catholic... lets not go there... wink.gif

Lets not...no offense was meant, just a little joke to make light of the situation

Your right, I know that cross age groups rarely work out. I honestly don't actually see something like that happening. But it's nice to explore all of the options. That would be why an "Initiate" group would be nice, so to speak. Younger members would be able to create an account on the 405th group, and would have access to a small number of features, primarily PMs and an Initiate forum. Once they turn 18/21, the rest of the site and group would open up to them and they would be able to partake in the rest of the group. However, I suspect (again) that the feds wouldn't like that.

Would the age really be 18? Wouldn't it be 21?

Oh well.

As long as the 405th Group doesn't create their own forums were we could not be present, I don't have that much of a problem.

I'm still going to wear the 405th logo on my forarm, with permission from the higher-ups, of course. ;)

I'm not going to fight over the age limit because I see the pros and cons of it. Personally I do really want the age limit to be under 18 because I am under 18. I am mature enough not to have a temper tantrum when its not because i know why it will most likely be 18 or 21. Personally, I'm 16 i can fly alone, so i think i can be in the group. I have a summer job so I can get money to make a suit and fly to cons (depending on which, i can stay with family). Though, you think 21 year old guys wearing cotumes and running around with 14 year old boys is weird...I'm one of the few female members of the 405th (and proud of it).

There I ranted...I feel sooo much better now. Also, please don't bug me about tyops. I can't type today...

yeah, I'm not to worried about the age thing, even though I'm under 18 i figure by the time the charter gets finished ill be 18.

p0rtalman said:
yeah, I'm not to worried about the age thing, even though I'm under 18 i figure by the time the charter gets finished ill be 18.

Yes, this more than likely will be resolved by the time we are 18. I'm 15 (16 in 4 monthes) so I should be old enough to fly and such soon. I don't have a job though, so I wouldn't be able to afford airfair. My parents are mostly paying for my armor.

Just like what Kaya said, I'm not going to go through tantruams to try and get what I want. But I will argue my points to the death, so... :p

I think there are only like 20-30 under 18 people around these forums anyhow, so it won't be that big a deal. Actually, does anyone know about reserving names? If I can't join the group for 2 years, there would be a chance someone would take SPARTAN137. Can the mods take a registry of names that they will save for us?

But I agree with the >21 walking with <21 people. It would be odd.

What are some clubs groups and teem that have under 18 involved

Society for Creative Anachronism

WWII reenactment,

WW I reenactment,

Boy Scout

Girl Scout

Rob said:
Look at it this way
Lets build a car
3 4 6 8 . Tires. Thats a week right there.
Electric full cell or gas Thats a week
2 3 4 seats
Plastic or metal
Plastic window or glass
2,3,4 Doors
small med large
Fast or far or both
Red or Blue
I think we should make a truck
Now we are at week one again

We all know that a car is but getting 8 peeps to sign-off on ONE is hard.

Please give us time

We are shooting for Dragon-con. That is a good start. This it just my two cents...

ROB THE GRAVE - MIND and MASTER OF THE WO.... (he he he)

WE need a car eh? Ive got some money to donate if you want.. dont need anything in return you guys have done enough.

Boy Scouts and Girl Scout are both organizations for young people, typically ran by adults. the programming and information and activities are all specifically geared toward the youth of America. both are under 18 organizations... there isn't really an intermingling of the over 18 crowd except for administration and legal purposes.

Not sure how the other 3 clubs are ran though.

Spase said:
Boy Scouts and Girl Scout are both organizations for young people, typically ran by adults. the programming and information and activities are all specifically geared toward the youth of America. both are under 18 organizations... there isn't really an intermingling of the over 18 crowd except for administration and legal purposes.

Not sure how the other 3 clubs are ran though.

Your right. The adults are separatly run, and are only supposed to have minor interactions with the scouts.

Hell, they cant even be in the same bathroom as us!

And I too dont know about the others. I guess it isn't as hard in the way of those sort of regulations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spartan137 @ Mar 17 2008, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>But I agree with the >21 walking with <21 people. It would be odd.</div>

Haha, then look again and realize they're all wearing armor from video games!

Yeah, but kids make good grunts (or could).. unless there's dwarf adults involved.

We can discuss this topic to see how folks feel about it, but please be aware that there are no hard answers on this topic right now. In fact, it looks to be one of the last topics we'll deal with while working out the charter. Nothing suggested in here is to be considered absolute, or definate.. it's all just ideas that may be reviewed later when we actually tackle this area.

Let's just avoid any straight up age discrimination though. I gave this it's own topic because it dominated that thread, and hope it'll stay on topic this time.

So let me straight-up ask you guys.. what age do you think is a realistic age cut-off point, and why?

Also, feel free to continue with Rob's idea, and list out any organizations you can think of that have kids and adults together.

Oh, and personally? I have no problem trooping with kids alongside me. If nothing else, it just makes me look bigger :)
Besides, I'm an old man, walking with most of you would be like trooping with kids anyways.. what difference does a few years make if we're all following, and upholding the same behavior rules and stuff.

(I gotta' be careful though.. I might meet some kinda' maximum age cut-off. BTW, meet Rob.. Dirt's dad :whistle: )

Well, in terms of older and younger members walking around together in armour, from an aesthetic point of view I don't really see that as being too much of an issue.

I mean, there are adults of all varying heights, so I can't see there being too discernable a difference. Most people would probably just see it as that; some taller, and some shorter, adults.

Of course, if there were great differences in level of detail and accuracy, then it might be more noticeable to others. If not, and the quality of most everyone's armour is about the same, then most likely no one would think the age difference between the members would be all that significant.

Unless some of us took off our helmets, lol.

As for the age cut-off point, I couldn't really say, as I know we don't want to discriminate against younger people's participation in the community here. Wouldn't be fair, really... :whistle:

Its not a height thing, its not discrimination, its simply avoiding liability. One of the adults would have to be a legal minder and responsible for the children. Of course anyone of any age can be a member on the forum, its get togethers that pose the legal problems. Say little Jimmy wants to troop, little Jimmy is 13 years old, during the troop little Jimmy falls over because his boot gets caught on a pot hole in the road. Its not his fault, walking in armour is hard and armour can pose a threat to its wearer so, he breaks his collar bone and wrist. Because Jimmy is under the care and guardianship of the appointed 405th child minder, the club becomes liable for all little Jimmy's medical expenses. Children cant sign waivers, you have to be 18 before your signature means anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back