Air Bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palne Calon1

Hey guys, I've nearly finished fibreglassing my first piece (torso) but I've noticed I seem to be getting a number of air bubbles underneath, no matter how much I try to get them out the fibreglass keeps lifting. Will these give me real problems when I sand down or are they easily repairable.
Cheers,
Neil P.

It will give you some problems when it comes to sanding, but it's nothing beyond repair. I suggest you use a dremel cutting bit and cut off the bubbles and put a new piece of fiberglass there or sand down the bubbles if you don't have a dremel. You could also fill it with bondo if you sand through. Just a few suggestions, good luck.

if the bubble is small, just add resin, and let it cure. and if its a big bubble, cut the fiberglass with a dremel, then just add another piece of fiberglass.

Air bubbles in fuberglass are pretty easy to fix :D

if you want to prevent moor air bubbles, use a roller, bought from the same store you bought your glass from, mine was 14.99, 4" wide with many grouve too help chush out the air. Use it just after applying the cloth. Just my 2 cents.

I use a foam brush to apply the resin but it's when I place the glass over a valley fold, the glass seems to keep lifting. I do even try to keep pushing it in while it's curing though it doesn't always work.

Hmmm, interesting that you are using a foam brush, I had always avoided using those with resin because I thought that they caused air bubbles since the brush is super porus and air get's trapped in the brush all the time. It isn't as big of a problem if you are brushing, but if you are dabbing, then small air bubbles ensue!

I always just used thick latex gloves and basically rubbed it onto the armor, pour a bit on it then just spread it around by hand. By thick latex gloves I mean cheap kitchen gloves from a dollar store usually they come in a yellow color and that always worked best for me.

I had the same problem with valley folds, here's what I do now. Glass the flat side and let it sit for a few min and work some where else on the part. Then after the flat part is set up you can then push the glass down in the valley with no air bubbles. The other thing I do is rip up the fiberglass mate and then I can push it down into the valley like a ball of cotton. Hope these help.

Hmmm, interesting that you are using a foam brush, I had always avoided using those with resin because I thought that they caused air bubbles since the brush is super porus and air get's trapped in the brush all the time. It isn't as big of a problem if you are brushing, but if you are dabbing, then small air bubbles ensue!

I wonder if that's where I'm going wrong? I do dab it. I found that brushing pulled the fibers. On the initial resin & fiberglassing on flat sections it's fine, just those damn bends.

I had the same problem with valley folds, here's what I do now. Glass the flat side and let it sit for a few min and work some where else on the part. Then after the flat part is set up you can then push the glass down in the valley with no air bubbles. The other thing I do is rip up the fiberglass mate and then I can push it down into the valley like a ball of cotton. Hope these help.

That's something for me to go at. Cheers I'll try it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back