battery operated water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Fang

ok i know this sounds stupid but does anyone know ware i can find a small water pump i've searched and searched and all i get are air pumps for bait but i cant use those for my purpose so does anyone know ware i can find one

I found this pump a few weeks ago, and have been using it for developing a chilled-water circulation vest. It actually performs really well, and is tiny.

It might help is you explained what you needed it for a bit more. Cause the second link I poster is portable. I works off of 3 D Alkaline batteries.

Hey, Fang, here's a site you might be interested in for info about the cooling vest. I'll have some more info to put up when I figure out some heat transfer things (not quite done with research into heat transfer coefficients and heat exchanger design).

Hey, Fang, here's a site you might be interested in for info about the cooling vest. I'll have some more info to put up when I figure out some heat transfer things (not quite done with research into heat transfer coefficients and heat exchanger design).

Loess - are you looking into TEC's (Peltier Coolers)? They are used alot in PC overclocking systems. A low wattage piece should be portable enough for a cooling suit application. I considered building a cooling system into my torso armor a while back but never got around to it. I would love to see a home-built... :D

well i got the shirt part done all i need is the pump and a small tank to hold the cool water when i get it done i will show how i did it

well i got the shirt part done all i need is the pump and a small tank to hold the cool water when i get it done i will show how i did it

What refrigeration tech are you using to cool the water? Without some sort of active cooling, any closed system that small will very quickly turn into a warm-water recycling station. Evaporative (passive) cooling will only give you a couple of degrees and would require a relatively large wet surface area. A phase change (heat pipe) system could in theory work but the engineering challenges for a home built rig would be pretty impressive. I'm curious as to what you chose...

Last edited by a moderator:
Loess - are you looking into TEC's (Peltier Coolers)? They are used alot in PC overclocking systems. A low wattage piece should be portable enough for a cooling suit application. I considered building a cooling system into my torso armor a while back but never got around to it. I would love to see a home-built... :D

I did, briefly. Efficiency concerns made me look at water ice phase-change, but I may revisit thermoelectrics in the future.

I'll probably be starting a thread in the creation forum with my results soon. There's not quite enough to build a good system yet, but I should be there quickly, and then I don't jack Dark Fang's thread too much more.

Fang, that pump runs really well off of a small 12 volt airsoft-type battery pack. that's what I did my testing with.

for a cheap but powerful battery operated pump go to dick's sporting good or place that has a decent fishing section, there for live bait.

DW, I don't remember, but are you some flavor of Engineer?

A/V system design by trade but I started in IT (hardware specialty). Technically I am a "Systems Engineer" but not in the traditional civil, mechanical, or electrical "engineering" sense. I do try to play with/work with/experiment with everything technical that I can (regardless of field) especially when it involves non-traditional applications. I like the "jack of all trades" approach - you never know when some oddball knowledge or experience will come in handy... ;)

Ah, I see. It sounded like you have more than the average layman's knowlege about these things, and that explains where you aquired it. I've found multi-diciplinary knowledge really helpful, and have even used some stuff that I learned doing costuming in my job as a Mech E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back