carter helmet build/ marine helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok my laptop decided to hate on me so I can't put pics up yet... but update on progress, I completed the pattern on the sides of the visor and underneath the brim, also I redid the venty tube thingoes so that they fit perfectly.... tomorrow I'm gonna start and finish the top of it (I hope) :p and hopefully the laptop will let my camera work on it so new pics can come up... also I plan to start a halo 3 AR. I'm literrally as we speak (type) starting the boots which I'm gonna cast out of vytaflex so that they will be completely wearable like normal boots :D
I have started planning with some friends to start a mini production line of armour so that I can make a "unit" in the area that I live in to advertise my new business :D
I actually have my own props business :D so sculpting is my specialty :D Also... I have never used rebound before and I am getting a shipment of it in soon... if you've used it before to make two part moulds of a helmet please message me :)

Man, this is looking really good. Also, I know some people use a heat gun smoothing trick to smooth the clay even further (You have to be careful though). I've seen it done before, but I've never used it (Haven't clay sculpted in 8 or 9 yrs). Just a thought. Again, this is looking really nice.

Yeah I personally don't like that method, its too easy to make mistakes with that... instead I get a small brush and do an extremely thin coat of mineral turpentine over it, that eats away a small amount of clay so it ends up smooth, I'll do that when its finished though.

okey dokey! almost done guys! well the helmet at least :p heres todays work... tomorrow Ill finish off the clay! then I'll just be waiting for my new shipment of silicone to arrive... which was meant to arrive to weeks ago :/
basic027.jpg
[/IMG]
basic026.jpg
[/IMG]
basic025.jpg
[/IMG]
so tomorrow I'll repeat that on the other side then do the detailing at the bottom/back of the helmet, smooth it off then prepare it for silicone moulding :D just wondering coz I've never actually moulded a helmet before... I know you make a clay separating line down the center with keys in it... will I need to use another sort of clay to do the separating line? I'm just worried that if I do the line it will imprint on the clay under it..

ok this should be converted to a mark VI WIP :p when my gf brings my windows laptop back tonight I'll use that to put the new pics up (camera doesn't work on mac laptop) but I have finished the clay sculpt on the helmet, my new air brushing paints have just arrived and I only just started work on the chest armour (all of these except the COD will be made out of a clay sculpt)
I think that this build should take me about... a month and a half... then on to a Forerunner suit :D which I will also upload a pic of so people know what I mean XD

back details (flash drowned most of them out)
basic030.jpg
[/IMG]
all the rest of the pics are from just before I smoothed it.
basic031.jpg
[/IMG]
basic032.jpg
[/IMG]
basic029.jpg
[/IMG]
and now! the extremely very beginning of making the chest piece :p
basic028.jpg
[/IMG]

And here is what I plan to make :D after the mark VI of course.
Forerunner.jpg
[/IMG]

hahha yeah I thought that at first too :p but luckily for me I have the right physique to fit inside that design so I wouldn't need to build up around the shoulders, and I figure it wouldn't be to bad if I made it out of foam latex or maybe some sort of urethane rubber.. and the helmet looks particularly easy to make, and I'd vac form my own visor... many thanks to whoever drew this!

ok my updates are going to slow down a lot due to work.. and I can't mold or cast anything until my shipment of smooth-on products arrive... and I have to ask anyone who is familiar with working with rebound-25... how much will I need to mix up to do one coat of half the helmet? I've never used rebound before and I am completely unfamiliar with it.

well I certainly had issues starting the chest piece, made the entire chest plate three times and tore it up each time, something wasn't exactly right about it... anyway, started again, and so far its looking nice'ish, and I also threw together the front of the COD this morning.
chest009.jpg
[/IMG]
chest008.jpg
[/IMG]
chest007.jpg
[/IMG]
chest006.jpg
[/IMG]

lol its hard to find all that many people in Australia full stop :p well compared to in the US, but I'll try to get into this more and get daily updates... lately I've been working a lot for private orders, but now they are out of the way back to work on my random things, really looking forward to getting stuck into Didact's helmet :D

might have to do road trip down your way, loved it down at lorne last time i was there, some of the best beachs ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back