Complete Reach Recon Build-Duckster18 Official

Status
Not open for further replies.
HEY GUYS! Spring break is over and school has started back up. Over the break, I FINALLY completed a helmet that fits my oversized head. Photos will follow shortly. The thing looks huge on my head, but then i remember that I'll have other pieces of armor to make me looker bulkier. It does fit my head though so I'm going to head onto another section of the armor(forearms most likely) once i return home.

Hey guys, i finally have time to post the photos of my completed(and third try at the helmet). This one fits all around, with about a half an inch to an inch around. I have a huge head so..Tell me what you guys think!
0314120250a.jpg

0314120250.jpg

You did a great job on that helmet. Your pep work is really clean, but in my opinion that helmet is massive. I think it would be big even if it were a helmet that tends to look larger, but the recon almost looks form fitting in game and this kind of makes you look like a bobble head. Granted, armor will take some of that look away but I think it's just plain too big. I understand having a big head (since I have one :$) but when you're only toying with a piece that tends to run under 10 inches in width, a half inch to an inch gap on both sides with a helmet like this can make a world of difference.

But that's just my two cents. Ultimately it's all up to you. You really have shown some awesome skill up to this point, so great job man and keep up the good work! :D

When i finished, it look too big too.I think the problem is the recon helmet itself though. I've done three of them, 1 so small it couldn't possibly fit me and the other one i posted in this thread, but i had to modify it (cutting out a large amount of the bottom to fit my head) Honestly, the third one is the first one to fit perfectly. The pep for the recon helmet actually has pep that goes INTO the helmet where the visor is. You can't see it very well in the pics, but i believe this helmet will do. Also, i think it looks big because I'm actually holding it up on my head.We'll see though. I'm gonna move onto the next segments of armor(prolly forearms).

just got home today for easter and tried on #2 and #3 helmets. #3 is ridiculously huge, yet fits my head without having to cute down the pep. #2 is sleaker and is proportionate. If i get a haircut, i can def fit some 1/2 inch of smaller pads in. Only concern is i cut the bottom pep out to fit my head. Honestly though, it looks good on me. I think Im gonna go with #2 in my final run. I'm gonna move to another section for now though.

To be honest it is not all that uncommon to cut out some of he bottom of ur helmet to get it to fit. At least that's what I have read. Me personally, my helmet is odd shaped so I didn't have to. Just givin my input :) can't wait to see more progress. :)

I went with the larger helmet myself. I just upped the scale on my chest plate a little and it looks great scaled together. I'd rather be comfortable with good air flow then one to tight. My 2 cents.:cool

I know, but the third helmet is SO huge that i can literally turn my chin up into the helmet. I'll prolly do a 4th, but save that for last. I've read through all the scaling tutorials maybe 20 times, but there is no sure fire way that you can properly scale your armor, or maybe I'm just dumb and have screwed up twice. The first helmet i followed the scaling to a T, yet it came out so small that it couldn't even fit on my head. I wear a LARGE helmet in football and that fits snuggly/comfortably on my head. Should i just get the basic measurements of that helmet and plug them into pepakura to get a good fit for my helmet?

#2 looks perfect in my opinion. I really wouldn't worry about cutting the neck seal as long as it still makes the helmet look tasty. Just don't leave the cut as a butch job. Slicing the neckseal is in fact very common as Mstruvmgc already pointed out. The Mk. VI helmet I'm working on now is scaled almost perfectly, about 2mm too large (but at that point who cares) and I'm chopping out about 3/4 of an inch on both sides of the helmet just to make room to squeeze my noggin in. I'd go with #2 and just do it up right. It's a lot easier than making a #4 when it's already scaled right. But again, that's just my opinion :cool

Hey Guys & Gals, it's been awhile but it's officially Summer Vacation for me, meaning it's time to get som serious work down on my build. Tonight, i'm starting the pep work for the forearms. I'll most likely have both done by tomorrow night so gimme 24 hours and i will have photos up of those. Then, it'll be the upper arm and I'll go from there.

Hey guys! i finished the first forearm. Honestly, it looks great! pep work is coming together. Started on the second one and that one ,realistically, should be done in 2 days. Tell me what you think of #1 though!

0516122334.jpg

0516122334a.jpg

0516122335a.jpg

0516122335b.jpg

After the forearms, I'm gonna move to the upper arms!

That forearm looks a little small. You need to account for the room it takes for fiberglass and maybe padding. Plus it should make it to your wrist.

The pepakura is good it's just the scale. It should have some bulk when it's on your arm. Forearm piece should be right before your wrist and close enough to your elbow for you to be able to bend it. Make sure you take into consideration of resin, fiberglass, rondo and foam just in case.

the pepakura work is very good, but the scale is way off i think... you need do add in the thickness of the resin/rondo, padding and such. i think it's supposed to have a centimeter or so from your wrist and elbow...

I have had trouble scaling through my whole build(evident of my helmets). I have followed the scaling tutorials on here throughout, but it seems like they don't work at all for me. The pep either comes out too small or way too big. What should I do to make sure the pep is the correct size if the scaling doesn't work for me?

what works best for me is to simply grab a ruler, and measure how big it looks like it should be. grab a picture off the interwebs of the peice youre trying to build (noble six as a full pic) and see how it sits on him. add a centimeter or so af what you think it shouuld be for you, just to compensate for fiberglass/rondo, and voila! a peice that should fit like a glove. don't forget to keep the scale you used, so if it is too small or too big then you can simply add/remove a specific amount from the last scale you used

Well hopefully this one is better. Thanks for all the input. What I have done so far are the handplates, knife, helmet, and now one forearm. I haven't had much time to do it, but i started and completed it today. I'm gonna try to do the other forearm tomorrow and then move onto the shoulders. On the first photo, the one on the right is my first attempt while the left one is the newer, better scaled forearm.

0530121551a.jpg

0530121551.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back