Could anyone help me decide If I should buy armor or make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halolover2dmax

Hello, everyone. I am new, and I was wondering if I should begin a great journey to make some ODST armor or just buy some. I have pepakura installed, but other than that, I have no Idea what to do...

I have 0 experience building or constructing anything, but I'd like to have my self a suit of armor before next Halo-ween. If you could help that would be great!

isay.jpg

Kind sir! I will have you know that there are no indecision threads allowed!
Sorry, can't help ya.

this place is making only. dont buy unless you just found a random wad of cash (around $5000) to spend. and thats just dumb. create and youll be much, much happier

Sr en 405TH usted puede encontrar todos los tutoriales para construir su armadura, solo debe armarse de paciencia y tiempo, si usted quiere puede.

Make it! Trust me, when people compliment you and ask you where you got your armor you can be like "I g***ing made this yo!" That self accomplishment is worth it more than anything. Research it, youtube, google, obviously the 405th is here to help too!

yeah like many other people have said, make it, it is a fun experience. when you finish pepping something, you get really happy and proud

It wouldn't take much to make your own suit ( odst is the easiest one to make) all you need to do are get 2 pack of gray foam mats , a pack of cardstock (65-110lb), some hotglue and start download some pep files and then you all set.

I think you have to weigh both sides. Everyone is correct there is a great sense of accomplishment in doing it yourself. I would budget $700-1000 for it and at least 3 months to a 1 year for the build. It can cost more and take longer it just depends how nice and how elaborate you want to go. There is more than enough information here in the sticky's to go from start to finish. I have found that buying armor seems to be frowned upon, but every once in awhile a set shows up on EBAY and in my opinion you are paying an artist for a piece of art.

Well there are cheaper ways to make armor. Not all methods cost so much. So far cardboard and foam are the cheapest ways to make a suit.

I've just started my first build, and I'd have to say its a big learning curve, but well worth it. And if you go the fiberglass route, its always a handy skill to have.

@ ZeroSubset: I wouldn't say a $1000 budget is what it costs to make a suit. Maybe $300 if you are careful and already have the dremel and other tools.

@ Halolover 2dmax: For my first build I literally used just cardboard, duct tape, and spray/ acrylic paints. That is it. It cost me around a month of free time, $35 in paint, and a couple of cuts with an x-acto knife. It didn't turn out all that bad, in the end. Just remember, You get what you put into it. If you put your heart, sould, blood, sweat, and tears into it (even without a lot of money), you can make a suit just as good as what you could buy. Plus you wouldn't have to pay for shipping. :)

Make it yourself, before I came to 405th, I was constantly looking for halo armor to buy, nothing I could afford seemed to show up. So I decided I would make my own, I heard about this pepkura stuff and decided to check it out, and at first I was like, holy crap, too much work and just forgot about it for a while, Then summer came along and I got bored, decided to look back into building my own armor again. I decided to give it a shot and it turned out to be way eaiser than I thought it would be. The hardest part in my eyes are valley fold lol, they are pure evil!!! Anyhow yeah, building my own halo armor and getting the experince, just makes me want to branch out more and figure better ways to make it, or even come up with my own method! Or to build maybe other types of armor, ie star wars, gears of war, and much more.

Besides, just ask yourself what Sgt. Johnson would say about buying armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back