creating a mold from a pepped helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceNat

okay, so i wasn't sure how to go about asking this.. i thought id try a new topic in here.

i have created a mkvi spartan helm from pepakura, then resined, rondoed and bondoed the outside untill its looking good.
is it possible to create a mold from this? many of my friends are interested in getting a helmet off me, but im thinking it will be much cheaper to actually create molds. ive been looking around and ive seen the threads you guys have put up. but most of them are about starting from a clay sculpt, so would the same kind of technique work for my helm? im thinking of using the smooth cast stuff, but i need to research about materials in australia.

if anyone could help me, maybe with some detailed explanation about how this is done i would be thankfull. even a good youtube tutorial.. ive seen some but they are mainly of clay sculpts..

sorry if this bothers people, and if you think i should read the stickies and research myself about this i have tried. but i thought it would be ok to see if anyone might give me a hand..

ive also thought about vac forming, id like to try this on my odst pieces. and perhaps some of my mk vi, would anyone be able to give me some good reccomendations..?

nat

at least as far as I've researched, it is easier and more convenient to do your silicone mold using the tutorials or videos you will see how and materials to use for this.

I don't think there's any objection to do mold at this point of your helmet, but first of all you must detail your helmet and when you think that is finished is when you take final mold.
or... you can make an molde from a 'generic' helm [thats is witj lower detail] and do you get mold and each copy will detail some additional things to make each one different and unique

But that's my humble opinion, someone with extensive experience will give you more information here

There are GREAT videos by Ben Streeper that done. In them he makes a helmet from pep to finish...by finish I mean make a mold and cast it. They have been he most helpful videos I've seen around. Do a search for the videos, or just search for Ben Streeper and find his posts about the videos he has made. Great work he has done and very awesome that he video taped it all to explain to us novices how he does it.

at least as far as I've researched, it is easier and more convenient to do your silicone mold using the tutorials or videos you will see how and materials to use for this.

I don't think there's any objection to do mold at this point of your helmet, but first of all you must detail your helmet and when you think that is finished is when you take final mold.
or... you can make an molde from a 'generic' helm [thats is witj lower detail] and do you get mold and each copy will detail some additional things to make each one different and unique

But that's my humble opinion, someone with extensive experience will give you more information here

thank you for your help, yeah i have a finished helm, its the same one (with some more details) in my profile picture. now i just need to learn how to do an actual mold.. :)

There are GREAT videos by Ben Streeper that done. In them he makes a helmet from pep to finish...by finish I mean make a mold and cast it. They have been he most helpful videos I've seen around. Do a search for the videos, or just search for Ben Streeper and find his posts about the videos he has made. Great work he has done and very awesome that he video taped it all to explain to us novices how he does it.

awesome! thanks so much! this is going to help alot. :D

Make sure you talk to the original makers of the pep file before making a mold.

yeah, i did think about that when i started looking into this molding.. well the helmet im wanting to mold is FlyingSquirals helmet but with some more details added in.

does anyone know how to contact him?

Make sure you talk to the original makers of the pep file before making a mold.

Just curious. How is making a mold of a pep file without a creators permission different from making the pep file without their permission? I know she said she was making them for friends but still, if she made peps for each friend how is that different?

If she was selling them then I kind of understand, but still.

I don't mean this to sound combative, its an honest question.

by the way nat, I think its ok, I've never done it but I've seen plenty of people mold from pepakura. Like someone said, benstreeper has a whole video series on it ("how to pep a helmet from start to finish" or something like that)

Hey Nat

you can mold anything, but all you need is imagination!!!! lol

You can totally make a mold out your helm. I currently doing a commision of simple helm and the mold of the helm. So If you want, add me on skype, and I can show you step by step when I work on the mold.
Its pretty easy to make molds, but all you need is to know what materials you are using and what you are doing.

and you really do not need to ask permission to the modeler to make the mold. you bondoed the helm, added the detail and stuff. The pep was just a base.
It is completely different If you CNC the helm, without the modellers permision.
So dont worry about it, its your creation :)

Also, if you need more help
Halo_1 lives in Australia, and he is a hardcore propmaker. So maybe sending him an email about what silicone and resin he uses, may help you :p

Also, if you need more help
Halo_1 lives in Australia, and he is a hardcore propmaker. So maybe sending him an email about what silicone and resin he uses, may help you :p

Yeah i live in mexico so i can help you to get material in mexico! [LOL] Damn... ahh don't take me seriously.. I'm sick and think i'm delirious more than normal

Not.. seriously.. make a mold is pretty easier, the only trouble is gettin' materials.. and buy it [the're xpensive]
1 put your helmet
2 apply a thin layer of silicon.. and when bengins sticky, apply a 2nd coat.. and again
3 make guides/keys [ i cant understand fully this step]
4 make a shell mold..

or...

you cant watch this..

and This!

Last edited by a moderator:
hey nrettenmaier!

yeah im not going to be selling them.. i just want to create them as favours really :D
but if i do sell, then i definatly will try and get hold of fs just to be on the safe side ..

and yeah ive seen those videos! ahah ive learnt alot since i started this thread (kind of wish i hadnt started it and researched first) noobish mistake on my part..
but then i consider this research as you guys are pretty pro at this!

And hey hey ! AlexSpartan177

thanks for your comment and good words of wisdom :D
hahah well ive got the imagination part down !
i would add you on skype, but i dont have it.. i shall look into getting it though.
to be honest with you the materials i would use are all cheap for america, but over here the rebound is the only one i need a good substitute for.. as its about $400 !!! i can import the smoothcast 320 and get that for a good deal though..

the main part that has me stuck is the 'mohawk' part after youve done the silicone.. im trying to wrap my head around it.. is it used to create a parting seam between the mother mold shell? so it can be pulled off in half..
im going to re-watch ben streepers videos again to see how he does it..

hmm Halo_1..
alright! i'll definatly be hitting him up for some info :)

and cnc machines are beautifull.. that is what i'd love to get some day ..

thanks alot mate <- wow i just said mate.. thats very australian of me..
ahah :D

hey Herzleid!
ahahha i could do with some mexican subsitutes lmao! ahaha jk :D
but thanks for your help, the videos helped alot.
yeah the keys part is kinda weird for me too, but i do get it as you would need keys for the silicone to slot into the mothermold and not shift or anything.. am i right?
hope i am :p

Yes nat you are correct.

The keys are there to slot into the mothermold to ensure the silicone doesn't slide. The Mohawk down the middle isn't necessary as there are many ways to separate a mild in half however since you arnt using clay and instead are using a pep-mold I would suggest using the Mohawk. Also make sure to apply a release agent BEFORE the first coating of silicone to ensure that it doesn't stick.

Hope this helped

:)

Something to consider, I have been having some problems getting my silicone mold to re-seat perfectly inside the mother mold. When I try to put it in, it's slightly misaligned at the cut seam, and I think putting some extra thought into the mohawk may have helped a bit. It is indeed used to create a parting seam for the mother mold, but it seems to me that it can also be used to help align your silicone mold. Check out Sevv's thread, as well as Master Cheeze's tutorial. They use some plastic shims with pre-formed keys. After pulling a few casts, I can see how this could be beneficial. Others don't do this, though, and I can't quite figure out how they get their molds to line up at the cut seam. Of course, if you're not cutting your silicone that's nothing to worry about.

Hey Ace check out youtube or Ben Streeper he did a hole line of vids on this topic right from finished pep to casting.

John, I saw a lot of those vids, but I can't seem to find any past him saying "I'm going to sand it in the next video"
and then a different video of a different helmet that he was sanding. Please help?

You shouldn't have any problems making a silicon mold of your pep piece. Whether you have a bondo'd or resin only surface, smooth cast rebound-25 is going to pick up almost all of the detail of the original. I haven't had any problems using it so far, and hasn't damaged any of my parts. I didn't even have to prep the buck in any way other than making sure it's clean.

Also, I see a lot of guys making their silicon molds 2-3 inches thick in some videos. You only need about 1/2 to 3/4 inches for your mold. It also makes it easy to pull off. The shelf life for your mold isn't going to change much based on thickness, so might as well save on materials :) Just make a small initial mold for your first generation helm and do a few casts.

And no, you don't have to contact the original modeler to make sure molding his/her design is alright. But it's a nice thing to do, even if you're at least crediting their work :)

Hey nat, the supplier i use is called solid solutions... they are an australian store, based in victoria! just type in solidsolutions.com.au

Dang what a solid post. Ive never seen the second video, kinda a watered down version of the smooth-on video. Just my speed, thanks!

Definitely watch Ben Streepers vids.. they helped me make my helmets. They helped ALOT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back