Door-to-door Salesmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been in UK for more than a week with my shiny brand new visa and already I got involved with the police! No, it's not what you might think...
I was alone in the house yesterday, see. Sometime around 1pm, there was a knock on the door and I went to see who it is only to find this short...stocky...40ish y/o guy with a brick of a folder in his hands. Here's how the conversation went. WORD-FOR-WORD. I kid you not.

Guy: Hi, I've been here last week and I was wondering if I can interest you in...*shows me some leaflet*
Me: Sorry, I wasn't here last week.
Guy: Really? Where were you?
Me: Croatia.
Guy: Oh right.
Me: Yeah. And no one told me anything about your visit last week so I don't know what this is about, I'm afraid.
Guy: So, you're Croatian?
Me: Yeah.
Guy: And no one's around?
Me: No, everyone's at work. They should be back sometime around 6 so you might wanna drop by then and speak to someone else.
Guy: Ok, well, what are you up to?
Me: *slightly puzzled* Well...I've been doing some ironing and cleaning up and now I'll see what else I can do.
Guy: Wow, your husband must be very lucky to have you.
Me: *laughing nervously* Yeeaah...
Guy: What will you be up to now?
Me: Well as I said, I'll find something else to do. I'm home all day so I gotta do something.
Guy: *laughing* Well, you could invite me in and we could...make love.
Me: *pretty freaked out now, laughing* Ahahaha...haha, uhm, I think I'll pass on that!
Guy: You're not into sex?
Me: *still laughing nervously* Haha, no...
Guy: *laughs* What about your husband, he's not into sex either?
Me: I'm sorry, this is getting too personal now.
Guy: You sure you don't want me to come in? We could find something to do if you're bored...
Me: No, I'm very busy and I have to go now.
Guy: *laughs again* Well ok, have a nice day!
Me: Yeah, you too...

And I closed and locked the door.

WTF. So later on, we called the police and they said they take this sort of stuff very seriously and they'll be coming over to have a chat with me, get a description and ask me some questions. Also, that they don't get many people like this around here so this is pretty suspicious, and that he was supposed to introduce himself etc etc...
Honestly, we don't have door-to-door salesmen in Croatia so I had no idea who this twat was, for all I knew when we started "chatting", he might have been someone who knew mum or dad. As it turns out, he wasn't. I was sporting a big f***-off knife attached to my belt for the rest of the day, whenever I went out for a cigarette. :lol: I still do.

So - how do you deal with people you don't know coming to your door?
I know I'm just gonna pretend I'm not around from now on!

We had a group of johovas witness going door to door down in florida once they get you to open the door you literally had to slam it to make them go away, well this went on for about a week where they would scour our area going door to door. I came up with a nasty little plan for the next time they knocked.

When they knocked on my door one friday morning I was all bymyself kids at school wife at work me and my 65 inch all by ourselves. well they knocked I peeped out the hole and saw them and knew I had to do it, I yelled hold on I will be there in just a minute. I stipped completely naked and ran to the fridge and grabbed a frozen chicken peeled it out of its bag and held it to my crotch and anwsered the door needless to say they didn't want to stay and talk lol.

I thought religious talk or having a go at people of other religions was not allowed on here. And I'm sure it's not the first time they've seen crazed naked dude. :cautious:
Anyways sorry to hear you have had a rough time in the UK Odessa. Thats one insane way to start your time here. Unfortunately no country is devoid of wierdo's. I hope it improves for you.

Oops. I wasn't aware of that. I edited my post, hopefully Vampyredh's post won't get the thread locked.

It didn't shake me up to bad, really, I was only angry afterward when I finally thought of much better comebacks to his lines. He caught me by surprise. I'm sure it's gonna improve, but it's kind of funny to have this happen. (in addition so more than slightly disturbing)

People have approached my car or me in a parking lot with weird stories to try and get me to give them rides or let them in my car. 'My wife got hurt down the street'...'my car broke down'...stuff like that. Things that seem fishy from the get go (which is lucky, in a sense). I offer them 35 cents for a phone call and I keep my doors locked or I head into the nearest building. Whatever they want, they can call the cops, their family, or the EMS for. The theory that I, as a 5'6 woman alone in a parking lot, look like their knight in shining armor, doesn't hold water.

But coming to your home (and apparently being well dressed?!) is a different kind of violation/premise though. And pretending to *know* someone in your home is horribly conniving. I've never had someone try and trick his way or proposition me to get into my home. Wow. You definitely did the right thing in staying in the doorway and calling the police. He sounds like a predator or pervert for sure. Hopefully you calling him in and giving his description to the cops will save another woman from the same situation. And I think you'd be justified in pretending you weren't home from now on. If it's really important they can always come back later when someone else is with you.

I hate encounters like that because afterward you feel like you did something wrong or that you should have realized sooner....but you never can because it's our nature to expect people to behave rationally. You did the right thing and ended communication as soon as you ascertained his true reason for being there. It doesn't hurt that he knows you have a husband either. That sort of information usually deters creepy men.

The knife on your side is a good quick reassurance, but I'd say pick up a thing of pepper spray now that things have settled down. Pepper spray shoots like 10-20ft, and since he sounded like he had weight to him, range could be a great boon. ASP Batons are also nice, but they are more of a close-up weapon (16"-31"). Police use them to break the joints and fragile bones of attackers (collar bone, knee, elbow, wrist). The batons telescope out so you can put it on your belt until you need it. I want one of those for Christmas so I can have that + the spray.

asp-baton-1.jpg

It's guys like your door-to-door creep that made me want to learn how to fight, so I can commiserate with you =\. I got so mad after one incident at the sheer nerve of people! I think the 'hey baby' act suddenly loses its steam though when you're about to snap their arm out of their shoulder socket or put them in a choke. Suddenly it's not so fun to pick on the short woman anymore.

And as always NHB. No holds barred. Foot stomp and knee the balls until they are crying in a fetal position on the curb. ;)

Lol, I'm glad you saw the funny side of it I guess. I would've wanted to smack the guy in the face.
I know what you mean, in tense situations I always think of a billion things to say back after it happens. :p

RedTogusa said:
I thought religious talk or having a go at people of other religions was not allowed on here. And I'm sure it's not the first time they've seen crazed naked dude. :cautious:
Anyways sorry to hear you have had a rough time in the UK Odessa. Thats one insane way to start your time here. Unfortunately no country is devoid of wierdo's. I hope it improves for you.

Yeah let's just say, 'religious visitors' or 'solicitors' so we don't offend anyone in particular. I know people are frustrated by random visitors and sales people, so it's fine so long as we discuss in general terms.

And you're right Red, that wouldn't have been their first crazy, naked guy...I'm sure they still recall my husband...

Sigh. True story...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Vex, thanks for the detailed info on what I should get for protection. Useful! have no idea where to get that stuff around here, though, but I'm sure I'll manage. I had a stash of knives lying around, what with my husband being into them, so I picked one and carried it around with me. The sight of that thing alone would deter most people. A few guys in the past few years tried various stuff on me, from that "hey baby" you mentioned to slapping my butt etc, but me being 5'8'' makes most think before they act lately. Plus, it's really not that difficult for me to snap their wrist if I grab it too hard ;) I'm not the tiniest of women. Training pays off sometimes. But yeah, some are crazy enough not to be deterred by any of these things so it could become essential to carry around things like sprays or pocket knives.
All this said, it's still hard not to get freaked out by such house visits or comments by strangers. I was observing and jumping at every sound for a few hours after he left, like a hawk. Paranoia kicked in.
You got me pretty interested in those batons...I might ask for one for Christmas myself!

@Red: Yeah, I do hate it when I think of things only after I wanted to say them! It's always like that.

Np.

I know the Batons are legal here, but I just realized that the UK may have different codes about what is ok. Either way, Police Supply stores or online surplus will have plenty or armaments and they should be glad to tell you what civilians are allowed to carry for protection.

What's definitely kosher everywhere is a Mag-Lite. The 3 and 4 cell flashlights (er torches!) are a heavy, albeit, very effective alternate to the ASP. You can put a whollop on with that too...and it's of course nice for the dark.

Well, seems like there are nuts everywhere o_O .

Although I approve of self defence, I think batons are illegal in most of Europe. Much like katanas and other interesting stuff, and because batons can inflict huge damage when used correctly.

I do have a Mag-Lite but a small one...actually, that's a very good idea, we don't have street lights in most streets in the village so it's also a very good excuse to carry a bigger one around.

TF, are they really? I have a katana, bought it in London...I know for sure it's not legal to ship them around anymore, but I'm sure you can still buy them if you're over 18.

Yeah be sure to ask someone...I don't wanna get you in trouble ;)

An engraved Mag-Lite makes a very nice Christmas gift ^^ Our work was going to do some one year...I was so sad when they got canceled due to cost Q_Q

This is how a lot of home invasions play out. By the way, never tell ANYONE that you're home alone. Not even your neighbors. They may unwittingly divulge this information to other would be assailants.

Glad you didn't have one of the forceful types that tried to get in even without your permission.

As for salesmen and other home visitor's, politely decline and shut the door if your not interested in hearing their pitch. It helps them in the long run by saving their time from having to say it. For religious visitors just say, "I have a faith. Sorry I can't talk now. Good day." Even if the faith part isn't true, this will work as they usually only care that you're religious in any way even if it isn't theirs.

legally, it's difficult and complicated by myths and ever-changing laws. I think it's illegal to carry them in public, and I'm not sure if stabbing someone with a katana counts as self-defence :lol: . on the other hand, if you club somebody down because they entered your house without permission, that's okay as far as I grasp the legislation (unless police, etc :p ).

but I'm not a lawyer. just be safe in the safest possible way, if that makes any sense. as I said, carrying long dangerous weapons in public areas is not the best idea ever. but don't be put off by me, if you must stab someone because they're being uber-creepy, stab and run like hell ^^

23Magnum said:
This is how a lot of home invasions play out. By the way, never tell ANYONE that you're home alone. Not even your neighbors. They may unwittingly divulge this information to other would be assailants.

Glad you didn't have one of the forceful types that tried to get in even without your permission.

As for salesmen and other home visitor's, politely decline and shut the door if your not interested in hearing their pitch. It helps them in the long run by saving their time from having to say it. For religious visitors just say, "I have a faith. Sorry I can't talk now. Good day." Even if the faith part isn't true, this will work as they usually only care that you're religious in any way even if it isn't theirs.

Yeah, I only thought of that after it was all over. As I said, he caught me entirely by surprise, especially since I haven't had any prior experience with door-to-door salesmen or weird strangers coming by, plus I had no idea whether he was an acquaintance of my in-laws or not so I went with being polite at first. This taught me a lesson.

TF_Productions said:
legally, it's difficult and complicated by myths and ever-changing laws. I think it's illegal to carry them in public, and I'm not sure if stabbing someone with a katana counts as self-defence :lol: . on the other hand, if you club somebody down because they entered your house without permission, that's okay as far as I grasp the legislation (unless police, etc :p ).

but I'm not a lawyer. just be safe in the safest possible way, if that makes any sense. as I said, carrying long dangerous weapons in public areas is not the best idea ever. but don't be put off by me, if you must stab someone because they're being uber-creepy, stab and run like hell ^^

Hmm, I think I'll just stick to showcasing my collection of blades rather than using them for self-defense for the time being, unless it gets more serious. ;)

People that come to my door trying to sell me sh!t I usually turn away just by being rude to them or by swearing profusely in Spanish (all I really know in Spanish). They generally leave after that. If they come back I usually plant my size 12 boot squarely in the middle of their chest, this usually forces them out and away from my front step at a fairly good rate of speed. If anyone wants to persist and force their way in cuz they can't take a hint, I've got a whole mess of sharp blades that'll do a bit of a number on them. When I go out around town I usually have 2 knives, a razor blade, and a multi-tool on my person just in case I get into a scuffle (a lot of my friends live in the rough part of town). I do have one of the 26" police batons and those puppies are incredibly fun! But they usually become stuck after you hit something hard with them. They do come in handy though because usually the simple act of extending them is intimidating enough to make someone back down.

I would recommend that you get pepper spray and a stun gun but I think that both of those might be illegal in the UK (I'm not entirely sure on the way the laws work out there). The nice "big, f*ck off, shiny" knife that you had would probably do it for you though :D

TF_Productions said:

Believe it or not, if someone enters your home with malicious intent (in the state of PA anyway) it is actually considered self defense to cut them in half with a katana or some other type of long edged weapon - as long as you can do it with one slash! Here's the weird part: if you use a gun and kill the person then it is considered excessive use of deadly force. A lawyer can get you off either way, but I'll tell you right now that if someone breaks into my apartment I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

Odessa-086 said:
So - how do you deal with people you don't know coming to your door?
I know I'm just gonna pretend I'm not around from now on!

I personally greet people at the door with a firm handshake, good eye contact, while using a Remington 12 gauge as a walking stick... Y'know, the way any paranoid Texan would :D

Glad to hear your ok though, thats some creepy stuff right there. Hopefully they'll catch the guy.

and Vex, all those methods of defense work great. My dads actually a cop so I've had the opportunities to mess with all of it (including a small mishap with the mace when i was 13). The ASPs will deal out a significant amoutn of damage, i was able to crack a 2 by 4 after 3-4 good swipes at it. Maglights used to be used in the same way but the newer ones will have their warranty revoked if you smack someone with it.

We have been banned from the list of the johovas for a couple of years. Since the day my father threatened them with that

410941_4.jpg

(it was about 2foot and a half)

We never see them again.
But I love to talk to them, that help past the time.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back