Door-to-door Salesmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I am not crazy just slightly mad, second the look on those guys faces was pricless because not only was I naked with a frozen chicken on my crotch but 35 percent of my body is covered in oriental tattoos.

They had a look of total horror and a strange look of omg what did I just walk into.

I was not trying to talk religion please forgive me if it offended anyone.

Garzak said:
We have been banned from the list of the johovas for a couple of years. Since the day my father threatened them with that

410941_4.jpg

(it was about 2foot and a half)

We never see them again.
But I love to talk to them, that help past the time.

Pat

That weapon of choice is funny as hell!!! :lol: Props to your dad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason 'Biff' H said:
I personally greet people at the door with a firm handshake, good eye contact, while using a Remington 12 gauge as a walking stick... Y'know, the way any paranoid Texan would :D

Just fixed that statement to be a little more accurate. :D

Growing up out in the country for me, there were never any salesmen like that. People only arrived unexpected at your door if they were old friends just passing through, farmhands, the sherrif with questions (usually about some murderers that managed to escape prison and had reports of them running off toward our area of nowhere), and people with cars broke down on the highway. Well there were a few stranger instances but that's the reason for the Remington (in my case a Winchester ;) )

Now living near a campus for college, I usually get short sorority girls trying to sell me magazine subscriptions and the like. Very strange to me but the 12 guage is still within reach of the door just in case a wierdo shows up.

Are tasers legal in Britan? I would think one of the gun tasers would be a good home defense option (mace and a maglite are cheaper by far though and pretty effective). One piece of advice I haven't seen mentioned here is that whatever you have, be willing to use it. Predators and generally bad folks can tell if you are unsure of yourself. If you pull out a weapon of any kind whether it's a baton or mace or knife or taser, do it because you are pulling it out to use it, not to threaten someone. Crazy people are usually not to deterred by threats of non-lethal weapons (or any weapons for that matter), if you hesitate it's likely they will take it from you and use it against you.

This may sound a little strange, but when I attended the Teen Police Academy in my city, one of the first things they taught us on firearms day was that if you hit a certain nerve bundle around the back of the neck (on the sides, near the carotid artery/equivalent vein), depending on how much blunt force you use it can do anything from knock them unconscious to outright send them to the mortician. Blunt objects such as the baton can be applied to this too.

As for the last door-to-door salesman I had to deal with, it was some dude trying to sell me a magazine subscription and I "accidentally" let my Shih-tzu out of the kitchen. My dog thinks its a freaking German Shepherd, but it did the job. The dude got bitten and I only had to apologize once or twice.

If you don't have a dog, the weapons in plain sight help too.

Sigma-LS said:
Just fixed that statement to be a little more accurate. :D

Growing up out in the country for me, there were never any salesmen like that. People only arrived unexpected at your door if they were old friends just passing through, farmhands, the sherrif with questions (usually about some murderers that managed to escape prison and had reports of them running off toward our area of nowhere), and people with cars broke down on the highway. Well there were a few stranger instances but that's the reason for the Remington (in my case a Winchester ;) )

Now living near a campus for college, I usually get short sorority girls trying to sell me magazine subscriptions and the like. Very strange to me but the 12 guage is still within reach of the door just in case a wierdo shows up.

Are tasers legal in Britan? I would think one of the gun tasers would be a good home defense option (mace and a maglite are cheaper by far though and pretty effective). One piece of advice I haven't seen mentioned here is that whatever you have, be willing to use it. Predators and generally bad folks can tell if you are unsure of yourself. If you pull out a weapon of any kind whether it's a baton or mace or knife or taser, do it because you are pulling it out to use it, not to threaten someone. Crazy people are usually not to deterred by threats of non-lethal weapons (or any weapons for that matter), if you hesitate it's likely they will take it from you and use it against you.

Nice Sig, I was trying to keep from stereotyping us Texans.. but then again this is one of those stereotypes that just happens to hold water. BTW I seem to remember hearing something on the news about a Tri-Delt selling something being chased by an Irate Baylor student... you wouldn't know anythign about that would you? :D

On a serious note though, you bring up a good point about using weapons. If it looks like you won't use it, chances are very good it'll be taken from you and then used against you.

The be willing part is what worries me, My friend has within reach of the door and her bed but I'm always afraid she wouldnt use it, but I know if she wont I will, and have proven it a few times.

I don't think it's all Texans, but I know I'm not the only guy with a grandad and a dad that used to say and I quote.

"If some'un breaks down the door, blow 'em in half with a 12 guage shotgun!"

You want to talk about steryotypes though. I still meet students from the Northeast ocassionally that thought Texans all rode horses wherever we go and wear full cowboy getup all the time until they came here. :rolleyes

BTW- I'd never be irate with a tridelt, a pretty lady trying to sell me something is far better than some random dude. I might chase one though. :D

Sorry for the sidetrack Odessa, back on topic.

Sigma-LS said:
"If some'un breaks down the door, blow 'em in half with a 12 guage shotgun!"

Man after my own heart! :D

Sigma-LS said:
You want to talk about steryotypes though. I still meet students from the Northeast ocassionally that thought Texans all rode horses wherever we go and wear full cowboy getup all the time until they came here.

I lived in a rough area of San Antonio for about 3 or 4 years growin' up. Can definitely say that most Texans are normal people - if you take the strange accents and strange collective affinity towards firearms out of the equation of course o_O

j/k... I wish I had enough money to afford a firearm. Instead I'm stuck with my Last Legend Dragon SE Katana. I can cut anything in half with it and not have to worry about excessive use of deadly force.

Vexona said:
ASP Batons are also nice, but they are more of a close-up weapon (16"-31"). Police use them to break the joints and fragile bones of attackers (collar bone, knee, elbow, wrist). The batons telescope out so you can put it on your belt until you need it. I want one of those for Christmas so I can have that + the spray.
Donno if its different elsewhere, but police are legally only supposed to aim at the outter thigh. Otherwise lawsuits become present. Sadly most people don't know how to use em and they treat em like a baseball bat.

On a side note...I knew a door to door door salesman...he was a rapper who use to be our janitor. I think hes in jail now for heroin.

Spartan117x said:
Donno if its different elsewhere, but police are legally only supposed to aim at the outter thigh. Otherwise lawsuits become present. Sadly most people don't know how to use em and they treat em like a baseball bat.

Actually, you can aim for the upper arm as well. Basically any general fleshy part that does not have the potential for permanent injury or death. Anywhere else will definitely land you in a lawsuit!

conversation of the rapping janitor door to door salesman.

hey there fine fellow,
I got the stuff to make you mellow.
only 50 bucks a pop,
omg your a cop.
I'm going to jail for selling horse,
I think my life is about to get worse.
when bubba see me there,
I'd wish I kept sweeping the stairs.
Oh how I am going to walk funny for a week,
because the sales pitch was rather weak.
Now that I'm all in jail.
I shoulda sold shoes to pay my bail.
God I messed up bad,
my rap is poor and my *$$ is sad.
That what I get for being bad.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
This may sound a little strange, but when I attended the Teen Police Academy in my city, one of the first things they taught us on firearms day was that if you hit a certain nerve bundle around the back of the neck (on the sides, near the carotid artery/equivalent vein), depending on how much blunt force you use it can do anything from knock them unconscious to outright send them to the mortician. Blunt objects such as the baton can be applied to this too.

As for the last door-to-door salesman I had to deal with, it was some dude trying to sell me a magazine subscription and I "accidentally" let my Shih-tzu out of the kitchen. My dog thinks its a freaking German Shepherd, but it did the job. The dude got bitten and I only had to apologize once or twice.

If you don't have a dog, the weapons in plain sight help too.

Yes...that reminded me of something I forgot to mention...dogs! Dogs can be *wonderful*.

We have a Doberman. He's still young at 15 weeks (and sweet as can be with our friends/family). But when he grows up, I seriously pity the person who tries to attack anyone he's grown attached to.

"Bred for a century to be an outstanding guard dog, the Doberman Pinscher is intense and energetic with tremendous strength and stamina. Versatile, highly intelligent and very easy to train. Determined, fearless and assertive, but not vicious. Noble, loyal and affectionate with the family. It likes to be physically close to the family members. Devoted and watchful, this is a very people oriented breed."

We chose Mars, our red champion-line dobie because of all those things. He's a good family dog and wants to follow us around 24/7.

This is Mars's father...and what he'll look like when he's full grown.

[attachment=7473:TuggerSitF.jpg]

Other good protective breeds are Bullmastiff, Rottweiler, German Shepherd, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dogo (Argentinian Mastiff, they can hunt Puma), and many more.

My father-in-law has a German Shepherd, a Dogo, and a Labrador. They guarded him on at least one occasion from an attacker.

Vexona said:
My father-in-law has a German Shepherd, a Dogo, and a Labrador. They guarded him on at least one occasion from an attacker.

A labrador? really? heh i've got one now and had another when i was little. From my experience, mine will try to make friends with the intruder before he even thinks of attacking it. but he is a very loyal member of the family. he follows me in particular around all the time and usually listens to me. He'll listen to the rest of my family only if they're dangling food in front of him ^^

The Labrador IS sweet...well they all are. But when the incident happened, she took queues from the other dogs that were being aggressive and followed them.

On her own, she probably wouldn't ever do anything. Not a guard dog by any means if she's just by herself hehe.

That's pretty crazy, all the Brits I've ever met are usually straight forward though so it doesn't surprise me.

I wouldn't worry too much though, the UK has a lower crime rate than all of North America.

Vampyredh said:
We had a group of johovas witness going door to door down in florida once they get you to open the door you literally had to slam it to make them go away, well this went on for about a week where they would scour our area going door to door. I came up with a nasty little plan for the next time they knocked.
When they knocked on my door one friday morning I was all bymyself kids at school wife at work me and my 65 inch all by ourselves. well they knocked I peeped out the hole and saw them and knew I had to do it, I yelled hold on I will be there in just a minute. I stipped completely naked and ran to the fridge and grabbed a frozen chicken peeled it out of its bag and held it to my crotch and anwsered the door needless to say they didn't want to stay and talk lol.
These people never stop by my house. I've been wanting them to for so long just to see what kind of mind games they play... I'm not one to get into an argument with.

Meh, like I said, cops are allowed to hit that spot on the neck with the baton if there is threat of injury or death to them or a passerby

Vampyredh said:
conversation of the rapping janitor door to door salesman.

hey there fine fellow,
I got the stuff to make you mellow.
only 50 bucks a pop,
omg your a cop.
I'm going to jail for selling horse,
I think my life is about to get worse.
when bubba see me there,
I'd wish I kept sweeping the stairs.
Oh how I am going to walk funny for a week,
because the sales pitch was rather weak.
Now that I'm all in jail.
I shoulda sold shoes to pay my bail.
God I messed up bad,
my rap is poor and my *$$ is sad.
That what I get for being bad.

lol, he was actually pretty cool, and he gave me a CD of his (despite me not liking rap, there were a few songs I liked. He had potential, he just ruined it all) . The even funnier thing is, I took a jail tour and was 85% sure I saw him sleeping on the floor in the jail.

And cops are NOT allowed to hit the spot on the neck with a baton. that would break their neck. That would kill or paralyze them. They can hit it with their hand and thats all you need to knock someone out. (I'm in explorers, which is basically cops teach us random stuff, and we just had a lesson in this a couple weeks ago) And I'm going by what a cop told me, yes you technically can hit the other parts of the body, but its not what they're supposed to do, and as stated will probably end up in a lawsuit. When you aim for the outer thigh it locks the leg up, which, going by what the guy on SWAT said, is the only thing you can legally aim for

Thanks to all for great tips on self-defense :D I shall be looking into some of the things mentioned in this thread.

As an update, the police came around yesterday and it appears they may already have a clue who this guy is as he has been seen operating in a nearby village earlier this week. But yeah, they were pretty concerned because of the questions this guy has been asking me so they will be putting it in the papers. Which means more people will know and they'll be able to catch him sooner.

Odessa-086 said:
Thanks to all for great tips on self-defense :D I shall be looking into some of the things mentioned in this thread.

As an update, the police came around yesterday and it appears they may already have a clue who this guy is as he has been seen operating in a nearby village earlier this week. But yeah, they were pretty concerned because of the questions this guy has been asking me so they will be putting it in the papers. Which means more people will know and they'll be able to catch him sooner.

You know, Defense Devices.com sells mace in ring form. It's a small cartridge of mace hidden inside of a ring that is worn on the index finger, just a simple flick of the safety and a push on the side button is enough to deliver a pretty good whollop to the eyes. They also sell pepper spray in gel form which will completely incapacitate an attacker seeing as it hits them with the consistency of toothpaste. Basically with the gel stuff, if you get hit your instinctive reaction is to try to rub it off quick. Bu rubbing you will actually spread it around an make it worse. If you get hit in the eyes with gel mace you'll probably end up with it all over your head by the time you're done (nice right?). It's also dyed a certain conspicuous color that stains skin so cops know you've been shot with it.

Bloodl3tt3r said:

so you mean there actually is a Vulcan-sleapgrip-nerve that Spock uses ever so often??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back