Fan Film thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we should set up a go fund me account...
That's an excellent idea. Reach out to local businesses once we figure out where we're shooting as well. if we got everyone to share the gofundme within their own means we might be able to raise something. I'm still thinking of reaching out to 343 to see if anything they have any advice or anything to give.

clonecam117 unfortunately I don't even remember my personal login for Facebook! Lol social media is certainly NOT my strong suit. I'm not ignoring you, I promise!

I'll dig through the mantle and figure out if a go fund me is ok. I don't remember much against it, but I wanna double check to be sure.

In other news, I'm thinking I found a solution to the part 1 rewrite in the script, making it more about Kurt, his experience prior to being assigned to John's team. Kind of some personal perspective on our SPARTAN.

Furthermore, at the beginning of part 3, I'm thinking of editing out one of the grenade explosions and putting in a strafing run from Stingray flight. That would explain the enemy resistance dying down and some other stuff I don't want to type here for laziness and spoiler reasons.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I think the stingray strafe is a good idea but again I still think we should be cautious with what we are going to be able to do.

I'd also like to apologize for being such a wet blanket I feel like I'm shooting down all the cool ideas but I promise I'm just trying to keep it realistic.

Hey all, fairly new here, but some of my professional background is in editing for film (specifically audio, but I’m ok with video cutting and sequencing too). Im not terrific with special effects though. But I’d be happy to help out in any way I can once post production starts. Just let me know if any help is needed. Even if I can’t help, this seems really cool!

We pretty much need all the help. I think this is gonna be awesome, too! Just a matter of getting things rolling!
I’m sad this is too far away for me to help with actual in person filming. But here is some advice (the voice of many year’s experience).

Plan the hell out of it. Planning, and setup takes the longest of any part of the filming process. Don’t be afraid to storyboard to help once you have a script. Shooting is fairly quick in comparison. Don’t get discouraged as you plan! You’ve got this!

Always choose practical effects over digital/ special effects. Practical effects look real because they are real special effects, even when done perfectly, still leave a bit to be desired. On a budget, you won’t have top end special effects.

“Fix it in post” is not a real thing on budget films. Get it right in on camera. Don’t be afraid to do multiple takes and get multiple angles. Get more footage than you think you could ever need. It is always harder to reorganize and get people back for reshoots than it is to spend the extra time to get that one shot that you think could work better.

On shooting day have one person who’s entire job is continuity. There is nothing more jarring than a person’s hair braid switching shoulders between shots or that guy in the background being in the wrong place between cuts.

Oh, and be sure to record CLEAN audio. Grainy/ blurry footage can be a feature... bad audio can literally harm people’s ears and totally destroy an entire production.

I’m sad this is too far away for me to help with actual in person filming. But here is some advice (the voice of many year’s experience).

Plan the hell out of it. Planning, and setup takes the longest of any part of the filming process. Don’t be afraid to storyboard to help once you have a script. Shooting is fairly quick in comparison. Don’t get discouraged as you plan! You’ve got this!

Always choose practical effects over digital/ special effects. Practical effects look real because they are real special effects, even when done perfectly, still leave a bit to be desired. On a budget, you won’t have top end special effects.

“Fix it in post” is not a real thing on budget films. Get it right in on camera. Don’t be afraid to do multiple takes and get multiple angles. Get more footage than you think you could ever need. It is always harder to reorganize and get people back for reshoots than it is to spend the extra time to get that one shot that you think could work better.

On shooting day have one person who’s entire job is continuity. There is nothing more jarring than a person’s hair braid switching shoulders between shots or that guy in the background being in the wrong place between cuts.

Oh, and be sure to record CLEAN audio. Grainy/ blurry footage can be a feature... bad audio can literally harm people’s ears and totally destroy an entire production.

I absolutely agree. I’m a film student and am working on a prod 3 project right now. I have some issues with the script and what our budget will allow. Would you be willing to check it out and talk with me about what we could do to cheat some scenes or use instead of them to create a similar impact? I’d love to get a production bible going but I’m afraid there’s not a lot we can really plan for until the script is in a comfortable place before we start with breakdowns and production design. As for audio, I agree that nothing can take a person more out of a film than bad audio. Getting access to a more than 2 channel tascam with lav mics and boom mics is a huge priority in my book. I figure we could ADR lines of anyone in armor but I’d like to get live audio of everyone else. Again though, I’d like to get the script to a more practical level of availability before we move forward on anything else.

I agree with the sound being vital. We should set up a time to talk, maybe via the Marco polo app, and get a meeting going.

As for the script, my biggest issue is part 1 that needs a rewrite. Something with better character development would be good. Other than that I think I'm ok with it for now, though it's been a while since anyone gave me much feedback on it.

I absolutely agree. I’m a film student and am working on a prod 3 project right now. I have some issues with the script and what our budget will allow. Would you be willing to check it out and talk with me about what we could do to cheat some scenes or use instead of them to create a similar impact? I’d love to get a production bible going but I’m afraid there’s not a lot we can really plan for until the script is in a comfortable place before we start with breakdowns and production design. As for audio, I agree that nothing can take a person more out of a film than bad audio. Getting access to a more than 2 channel tascam with lav mics and boom mics is a huge priority in my book. I figure we could ADR lines of anyone in armor but I’d like to get live audio of everyone else. Again though, I’d like to get the script to a more practical level of availability before we move forward on anything else.
Happy to check out the script and give any advice/ notes I can. Let me know what is the best way for you to talk it over.

When doing the audio, don’t forget to get background tracks of whatever space they are in with the desired environmental sounds. Aka if they are walking and talking in a big empty space with lots of reverb, get them to do a no-talking walkthrough to make sure the helmeted post-recordings have background noise. Looking forward to chatting more.

I've been reading up on this thread for a while now and cant wait to see the fan film! but I see you guys have run into obstacles that has kept it in production, have you guys thought about vacuum forming armors though I know the budget could be decimated if this method was used especially if all the characters don't use the same armor variant and am a noob at the process myself barely learning how to do it still using foam lol but keep up the great work and brainstorming!

I'd really like to use Sean Bradley's ODST helmets for the helljumpers. Other than that, I love the idea of using vacuformed armor for everyone; it'd keep things easy and uniform. If some of our actors need a smaller size we can do that individually, but I'm not anticipating huge differences in sizes. Especially since it will only be for a few Marines and some ODSTs.

I'd also like to have 3D printed props, such as rifles, that we can cast and make molds of. I feel like that would be way easier than making individual props.

The Spartan suits will need to be custom made, regardless, and I'd like to get 2x tier 3 suits for those.

Script wise, not a lot of new input has been added, and stupid I didn't realize when I "resolved" the comments it made them invisible to view anymore, so that is my bad.

We need to start seriously sourcing sound editing equipment and mics and so forth.

Should probably start working out so we look like Marines/ ODSTs, as well. Start doing pushups, Marines! And eat less candy! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back