Status
Not open for further replies.

zXTOKENXz

Jr Member
Hello 405th, couple of quick questions:

1. Is Fiberglass Cloth recommended?
2. What brand would you recommend?
3. How much would cover a helmet?
4. Is there any other kind of fiberglass material i could use?

1. okay first ONLY USE CLOTH it is the best
2. i would recoment Bondo it is the best
3. a sigle pack will do about 2 - 2 1/2 helmets
4. their is what is called fiberglass mat but i would never recomend it

I use both... Cloth for the high detailed areas (2 layers) and mat for the more flat surfaces (1 layer)

yah, mat definitly get you more strenght per layer, but it uses more resin and is much harder to work with. using cloth is much easier, warps less, and gets deailes with less bubbleage, but you really should do two layers of cloth, so it takes more time that way.

Depending on what your building you actually need both. Use the mat in tight areas and details because you can break it up and clump it up like cotton balls. Works great for those little details. Use the cloth for larger areas that you can cover easy because it is less flexible and harder to bend. Also invest in nylon gloves so that when your working with the mat you can get in there with your fingers. Don't forget a good respirator and a good supply of brushes. Now if your doing a helmet I recommend rondo it's faster and cheaper than fiberglass.

i actually prefer the mat myself. its stronger per layer and i have gotten less bubbles and separation from the cardstock while using it. but like they said, the cloth is good for large flat surfaces. I have gone through quite a bit of resin with the mat and it does get messy when you cut it into pieces before applying it, but if you dont mind going through a little more resin and taking a little more time, i think your piece will be stronger in the end. But like they said, use both. Buy a pack of both, use them and see what you like better. OH, and if you have a Harbor Freight around you, go get a bulk pack of 1" chip brushes. I think it was like $6 for a pack of 32 or something like that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back