Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord of Reach

Hi! I've been reading a lot of tutorials before I started to build my armor, but I haven't found anything about my problem.
I started working on my own armor like a week ago, but before that I was making Andrew dft's ODST foam armor, but I just didn´t like how it was looking, and the helmet didn't fit on my head.
Now, the last weekend I started and finished my helmet made with pepakura, now I have both shoulders done, the armor is supposed to be a combination of the Mjolnir Mark V, Reach and the chest is from Halo 5. Here it is an edit I made, it looks like crap but is the best I've done.
My armor.png

It is going to be yellow with black, but I'm not very good with colors over images.

Now, about my problem. I put the 2 coats of resine outside, but then I had a little trouble with the fiberglass on the inside. I made a lot of mess, but overall, this was the result
Fiberglass Inside.jpg

Fiberglass Outside.jpg

I don't know if it is going to work, today I'm going to cut all the fiberglass on the borders with a saw, they are like little knifes and hurt a lot. But I'm not sure if the helmet is going to make it.

Should I stay with it and start with the bondo part? Or should I make a new one and use rondo instead of fiberglass?

Thanks if you read it all!

Btw, english is not my first language, so sorry if there is weird grammar

I think it looks fine. Maybe add Rondo into it also? Does it feel strong right now? It looks like it kept the correct shape which is the biggest challenge.

I'd recommend getting a rotary tool. You can find them pretty cheap, or at pawn shops. They look like this. Dremel 3000 Series 1.2 Amp Variable Speed Corded Rotary Tool Kit with 28 Accessories and Carrying Case-3000-1/25H - The Home Depot
It feels like solid rock, it surprised me, I thought I did a poor job. And yeah, maybe I will put some Rondo on it today, I thought it, but I didn´t want to ruin it. And I think my dad has one of those, I will ask him.
And Duke, I must say, I love your armor! I read the whole thread, and your tutorials were very useful too. I hope my armor can be as half as good as yours and I will be very happy, your work is an inspiration to me, thanks for answering

I'm glad you found it helpful. This is no easy thing you're doing so just remember you are awesome even for attempting it and you will learn so much and will always get better with each step.

If you have any questions you can message me. I will follow your thread and try to chime in when I can.

I'm glad you found it helpful. This is no easy thing you're doing so just remember you are awesome even for attempting it and you will learn so much and will always get better with each step.

If you have any questions you can message me. I will follow your thread and try to chime in when I can.
Thanks! Maybe I will if I have more problems

No. We don’t have problems here. We have situations that need help with that can be provided here. Think positive. Helmet looks good so far. Better than my dirst few attempts. NOT A WORD DUKE!!!!! :p

Rondo 1.jpg

I think the rondo went pretty good, now I can put it on and it doesn't hurt! Now I'm worried about the bondo part, I don't want to screw it, this is my first time working with pepakura and I'm finding it hard to put the bondo on it.
I have both shoulders and biceps done, maybe when I get to the belt I make a post about i, thanks for the support!

Lord of Reach threat helmet is looking really great, and the rondo turned out fantastic, as well, far as I can see. As far as bondo is concerned don't fret too hard. Start small so you get the hang of it, and pretty soon you'll be carving up shapes that'll make your helmet look like it popped right out of the game! A tip you can use is to take playing cards and use them as dams to help make straight lines.

CEREAL'S - Mk VI Comprehensive WIP **(With Videos)**

cerealkiller does a lot of great work in this thread, I'd highly recommend reading through and doing what he did. Just remember not to post in that thread, it's way necro.

Better than my dirst few attempts

Glad I'm not the only one with spelling situations that need help. :p:D

Sean Anwalt Thanks! I already worked a little with bondo, just a little part of the attachment to see how to use it, and already used the sandpaper on it. Is far from perfect, but I think I just need a little more practice. The bad thing is that I ran out of bondo, mostly because I put a lot of hardener by accident while the rondo part, so it turned to play-doh, lol, I'm going to buy some more this week. Meanwhile, I'm working on the forearms so I can have already finished both whole arms

Work in really small batches. Like the size of a golf ball of bondo. Anymore and it will start to harden faster than you can use. Apply as little as you can, thin layers. I like to use my fingers (with gloves), but most people prefer putty knives.

Yeah, I realized that I suck using a putty knive, I think that I will do better with my fingers, I made a mess on the nape, but maybe more bondo will help

Glass looks alright, when you trim down and get to your final fitment, be sure to seal over the edges with a bead of resin/rondo. This will prevent delamination (separation of layers of material.) This is a process is use on repairing composites at work.

I personally did a very poor job on reinforcing the fiberglass. If I have some advice though it would be to not rush the process. Spend the time necessary to get the job done! Good luck on your creations!

It looks good (but I’m inexperienced) my first go at a helmet it took me three peps to get the sizing right, and then when I fiberglassed it got warped to hell and had to be scrapped. It seems like it can be a brutal hobby, but rewarding when it looks good. Yours def looks good.

Thanks! I'm almost done with the arms (I just need to finish the right gauntlet, but the model has a lot of tiny pieces and it makes me crazy). I'm printing right now the chest model and I hope I can finish both pieces before September 21st, I have two weeks of vacation and I want to use them to resinate all the pieces so far and finish with the bondo in the helmet. When I do that, I will make a new post so. I'm excited for gettingg so far into this, I hope I can finish the whole armor before new year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back