First time EVA Foam ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why I didn't catch it when I was making it....I guess I was running off the adrenaline of building it haha.

I'm not going to bother fixing up the DFT helmet as it's shape is much too odd for how it needs to be compared to the in game one. Going to finish the set off with the true one!! But got some work to do still with things here and there.

I have a question PaiganBoi. When you primed yours, did you seal the craft foam or just paint right over it? As I'm worried to how my foam will react with whatever paint I may use for priming. I'm probably going to spray paint it, but I'll see what happens in the future and I'll test on scraps first to be safe.

If you already mentioned it in your thread what you did, sorry lol

Im going to tacticool it up with turtleneck if I can find one in this super hot summer weather Dirtdives

Off to a Value Village I goooooo

The proper/accepted method for sealing foam is to first heat gun it sealed.....this will prevent the foam from absorbing the first layer of paint. Now there are different ways to go about the next step which is preference based. You could spray primer and go straight to base coat, you could go w/ the metal undercoat in preparation of weathering and then base coat or a second layer of sealant of a 50/50 and then base coat or metal undercoat...........The 50/50 is mawrTRON introduced technique. 50% water and 50% PVC glue...spray/paint it on and wipe off the drips. A few coats of this and the foam pieces will take on a super smooth look and feel. Which ever method you feel most confortable with is the way to go.

I don't know why I didn't catch it when I was making it....I guess I was running off the adrenaline of building it haha.

I'm not going to bother fixing up the DFT helmet as it's shape is much too odd for how it needs to be compared to the in game one. Going to finish the set off with the true one!! But got some work to do still with things here and there.

I have a question PaiganBoi. When you primed yours, did you seal the craft foam or just paint right over it? As I'm worried to how my foam will react with whatever paint I may use for priming. I'm probably going to spray paint it, but I'll see what happens in the future and I'll test on scraps first to be safe.

If you already mentioned it in your thread what you did, sorry lol

Im going to tacticool it up with turtleneck if I can find one in this super hot summer weather Dirtdives

Off to a Value Village I goooooo
Before I primed my rig I heat sealed with a heat gun and then used a product I have been testing called Flexi Paint to seal the foam. I had to order it online. Since it is Con Crunch for you, I wouldn't recommend wasting time trying it. I assume Fan Expo this Labour Day weekend?
Plasti Dip is the most common used foam sealer. If you want a cheaper alternative Home depot has a house brand called... Flexi Dip.... I think. Its about half the price of Plasti Dip. The spray is finer and IMO I find that it applies much easier than Plasti Dip.

Awesome ok!

And you are correct PaiganBoi, going on Saturday :D

I'll check the Home Depot down from my work and see what they have. What I did for the DFT helmet was just his glue method then an acrylic grey with no primer as the final color (I was the Über noob with no experience lol) then used white paint to give the effect of weathering on sharp edges, then some watered down grey for the dsrker smudges.

Awesome ok!

And you are correct PaiganBoi, going on Saturday :D

I'll check the Home Depot down from my work and see what they have. What I did for the DFT helmet was just his glue method then an acrylic grey with no primer as the final color (I was the Über noob with no experience lol) then used white paint to give the effect of weathering on sharp edges, then some watered down grey for the dsrker smudges.
Dagnabbit... I'm going Friday. It would have been sweet to get a photo with you.

Awwwww man......that would've been epic :( My wife and I were originally going that day but she just started a new job recently and couldn't take it off.

Let's just take pictures in the same spot when we go and Photoshop them together into one ahahahaha

Ghost Fett They aren't as good as I want them to be, had I started sooner and known how messy they'd end up I'd have custom made some better plans. So many pieces that could be cut down in how many there are.

But alas, they're only that right fitting due to the tape lol. Gonna have to use the floor mats as the inner round section due to lack of proper materials.

I'm still at a point where I love Reach's ODST style as...y'know, ODSTs but their different styles of armor make me dislike it more at the same time.

Could be explained through different types of combat require different armor styling and such, like the Spartans. Love me the standalone game's the most, as you can tell lol

So I bought some rare Earth magnets, cut down my chest mount and glued them all in and promptly found they aren't strong enough to keep it closed.

Ugggggggghhh...........so they're ripped out and I raided a camping store for 16 feet of strapping, some clasps and D rings.

Got the shoulders rigged up and they sit much nicer now that their limited to how far they sit down. Gluing up the chest next with the clasps to replace the magnets.

The pads smaller magnets hold it in place nicely and firmly. I did some frantic test flailing with the arm piece on at a pace much higher than I would do at the con and it stayed in place.

I really really really have to slow down with how I build....

Once again I realized after I'm done applying copious amounts of hot glue to the strapping to keep it in place I should've done 2 straps to each side compared to the one I did so there's a bit of seam pulling as you can see... Plus this is the 'good' side as my knife slipped out of the initial scoring line when cutting down the other side leaving a nice crappy edge. >:I

38785149_216733919011204_7583189799641546752_n.jpg

I'm wanting to put those little side plates I made over it somehow but wearing the upper arms and having the plate in there is going to be an issue as it'll change how my arms sit when at rest to one that is really odd and uncomfortable due to the upper arm cuffs resting atop it.

Can't go back now... has anyone made any progress on that real life CTRL-Z command?

For tomorrow I have to buy more clasps (I'll actually plan ahead and count how many I need from what needs clasps on the armor, unlike today) and finally make the crotch plate. Thursday is going to be helmet starting day.

Curse this armor's in-game vs reality sizing issues!

They're just under the size of a penny and I had mounted them on the top and bottom of where the seam was.

It wasnt a strong hold when under the stress of being worn factored together with the thin layer of cardboard I put over them as the glue wasn't going to keep them solidly in the foam hole I carved for them.

They're just under the size of a penny and I had mounted them on the top and bottom of where the seam was.

It wasnt a strong hold when under the stress of being worn factored together with the thin layer of cardboard I put over them as the glue wasn't going to keep them solidly in the foam hole I carved for them.
Ahhhhhhh there the problem lies. Putting them at the seam has too much stress and its really easy to pull them apart. I originally had two tabs at the sides to hold the Rig together. It was annoying pulling two tabs on each side so I changed it to a side plate that I have seen in other ODST builds (which did not come with the foam files).
20180714_181102.jpg
This it what the set up was originally.
20180807_224513.jpg 20180807_224459.jpg
Then I changed it to this which works much better.

Last edited:
And take your time......dry fit test parts, hell, even tape them together, and think about what the piece is going to look like before you make it permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back